IGNORED

bike in shop since last week

kwisor

hello all i put my bike in the shop last week thay told me thay would look at it thur or fri i called fri it was next in line so i called today and it maybe wed or thur now i would like to find a shop that would do what thay say and not the run around if thay couldn't not look at till later this week then that is what thay should have told me now another week to wait

bumble bee

I own a shop, so let me give you some perspective from the other side:

Sometimes a job becomes more involved or for some reason takes much longer than originally anticipated. This will push everything back.

Sometimes parts arrive for something that was waiting and it jumps back into the queue.

I'm a one man operation so I don't have the problems of people getting sick, quitting etc., but I bet larger shops do.

As of tonight there is a two week wait to even get in my shop, then as much as a week after it's in. It's the busy season.

That's very true Carl but there are many shops where people are told your ride will be serviced in a day or two when they know it will be at least a week before they can even look at it. Fortunately there are places where one is told the truth at the risk of loosing the business. I know of one such place here in the GTA if anyone is looking. No I don't own it or get anything for referrals...just had a good experience.

heard from shop yesterday said i had a short. thay put the bike on the lift the night be fore and the battery went dead over night. he said that the radio was on when he left i adv him the he left ing switch on and draned the battery he didn't like that answer so today after charging battery there is not a ele problem. but back to the rear cycl not firing he said that he can not find a problem that it is firing and when test riden it did not break down and run bad. so he is going to give me a est to adj valves, sync cabs. but as bad as it ran i dont under stand how it now is running unless after all the carb cleaning i did what ever was blocked finaly came lose

BUMBLE BEE

1999 rsv

It is always possible that whatever junk was in there finally came out. Or it will be back to bad as soon as you get it home. Intermittent issues are the worst. If it does not act up while being tested the best you can do is to take a shot in the dark and hope for the best. Carb sync is/should be cheap, quick and easy to do. Valves out of adjustment will NOT cause an intermittent problem, and are not cheap, quick or easy to do.

hello

i have not been able to post lately but last week the shop said that that thay wanted 650.00 plus to adj the valves and synk the carbs. i told him that was to much. i called the dealer and thay are going to do it for 230.00. it is now at the dealer but thay said that it will be july 10th before thay can work on it. i made appt so he said that it will be worked on on that day but if thay can maybe sonner. when i got it back from the first shop i road it and still running bad and breaking down when trying to cruse ar 50 or 55 i hope that this is all i need

bumble bee

Guest scarylarry

230.00 for a valve job?

I'll ride there for that...I would be wary of that since it mostly a all day job, I'm thinking the book calls for 8 hrs..

I too would be very suspicious of that price. If they are going to really do it for that, you are getting the deal of the year. I think it is also very unlikely that the valve adjustment is the problem. If they have never been done and it has over 30,000 miles on it then they need to be checked anyway though.

i have 66880 miles last done about 20000 when i droped it off the service writer was a differant person then i spoke to on the ph and i told him the price i was told and who i spoke to and he said that was a good price and the person i spoke to was new and didnt know but he gave me that price in writing since that is what i was told

bumble bee

Well the price isn't really that far off. A carb sync is around $35 and a valve adjustment is 3.8 hours labor plus parts. If the Labor rate is $65 an hour that is $247 plus the shims. I know this because I just talked to Neihaus Cycles last week about the valves and they told me the hours per the book was 3.8. I am just guessing about the carb sync since it is about a 20

minute job

I had a Road Star with the same problem. . .I dumped a very strong amount of Sea Foam then road it like I stole it. Cleaned right up. I had just routed my Carb vent tube to the wrong place. . . .sucked in dirt and that's how it happened. NOW I do know the the Road star is a VTwin and the Royal star is a V4 but can you narrow down which cyl is missing? or is it both? Do you run SeaFoam in the gas or any additive? I won't leave home without a can! I really don't like trouble shooting but I'll sure try at saving 65 clams an hour. If I can figure it out and it's above me to fix, then I'll tell my dealer, that cuts down on their troubleshooting and I've been on the money more than not.

How do the plugs look? Coil packs okay?

Just saying

Hope you get it figured out and wich you well!

Tim

ps

One of my symptoms was that I could accelerate just fine. . . but just couldn't cruise. That led me to one of the jets (don't remember which) was dirty

again

Wish you well

Tim