IGNORED

Calgary Canada

Squidley

Hey all my Canadian friends,

I have some questions for you folks about Calgary. I work for a company called Tenaris down here in Texas. We have 4 plants and a corporate office in and around Houston. One of our Manager/Supervisors of our weld mill is going to travel up to another one of our facilities in Calgary Alberta.

I mentioned to him that I would talk with some of my Canadian friends and get the lowdown about Calgary. If y'all can help me out with good places to eat, or fishing and hunting areas, or just cool places to go and see, I would really appreciate it. I have heard of the Calgary Stampede, I'm not even sure what thats all about other than Rodeo and such. I notice it's July 6th thru the 15th.

I'm not sure about what it would take for him to get a Canadian fishing license and if there is any kind of hunting he can do up there during July and August. Give me some ideas here so I can pass it on to him....Thanks :thumbsup2:

No hunting that I know of during July and August, but there is so much to do in the Calgary area, its well over a million ppl and the fastest growing city In Canada. its ony about an hours drive into Banff or Lake Louise, and a ton of things to do with the 100th anniversary of the Calgary Stampede, its really just about the biggest party with a bunch of cowboys and regular ppl that you're ever going to see anywhere. If he only can pick one event to see at the Stampede, get to the Chuckwagon races, its a crazy wild race around a track with a bunch of carnage and accidents,,....I love it! Garth Brooks and many other big names are playing in Calgary around that time so he won't be bored.

I am not sure what the fishing regulations are as each province has their own laws on that, but I don't think it would be too expensive or difficult to get a licence.. also if he gets too bored send him to Kruisn the Koots in Nelson,BC. Probably a great 5 or 6 hour drive thru the Rogers Pass along the Trans Canada highway in the Rockies.

Just remembered what a friend of mine did last sumer there, he went to Olympic park and bought a ride down the bobsled with the Olympic training team. He said he was pulling 5 gs around some of the corners at about 90mph. Its on my list to do soon!

I would also recommend a day trip to Drumheller to see the Royal Tyrell Museum. Its probably the largest museum devoted to dinosaurs and dinosaurs research in the world. The Hoodoos and badlands are very impressive to drive through.

here is a link to some chuckwagon racing..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAgQWpewoRM&feature=related]Calgary Stampede Chuckwagon Race with Mark Sutherland - YouTube[/ame]

Brian

Edited by friesman

If the guy is into western dancin, hootin 'n hollerin and lots of fine lookin cowgirls there's always the Ranchman's Saloon or the Longhorn (if either one is still around). I spent many a "memorable" evenings in those two places when I lived in Calagary (1984 - 1992).

If the guy is into western dancin, hootin 'n hollerin and lots of fine lookin cowgirls there's always the Ranchman's Saloon or the Longhorn (if either one is still around). I spent many a "memorable" evenings in those two places when I lived in Calagary (1984 - 1992).

I am starting to wonder if there was anywhere you havnt lived and "hooted and Hollered" LOL!:stickpoke:

Friesman nailed the highlights. Hot springs all over the place are pretty neat as well. Lots to do and he will have fun.

Check out the pic

Couple of good friends living in Calgary if you want more details send me an email.

Brad

It's at Wetaskiwin AB, about 3 hours north of Calgary. Well worth the time IMHO.

That is Antique Farm equipment up there is it not. I think I was there once before. Might have even saw a first gen in a barn. ?? :think:

Brad

That is Antique Farm equipment up there is it not. I think I was there once before. Might have even saw a first gen in a barn. ?? :think:

Brad

Everything from the biggest antique farm equipment to airplanes and everything in between. Check out the link to their web site.

Google "Stan Reynolds". He is the guy who got the museum started. He donated the land and 80% of the collection.

Hey all my Canadian friends,

I have some questions for you folks about Calgary. If y'all can help me out with cool places to go and see. Give me some ideas here so I can pass it on to him....Thanks :thumbsup2:

Depending on what he is into http://www.bombercommandmuseum.ca/ located south of Calgary.

Or http://www.vulcantourism.com/?txt=spock-days-2012 Too bad, he will be too late for this one. This one is southeast of Calgary. But here some other info on this town http://www.vulcantourism.com/?txt=news http://www.vulcantourism.com/?txt=media-kit