IGNORED

Replaced the Trailer

Condor

Bought a new2me trailer off Craigslist this morning to replace the stolden Motorvation. A black 2003 American Legend Sport. It had been towed behind a Road King and it's grungy as all get out around the front end. So it's going to take a while before I can peal off the soot. Me thinks the Harley had a problem.... One thing interesting is the ice chest is identical to the one I had on the Motorvation. There must be a company out there making these things for MC Trailer Manufacturers...?? It also came with the complete ball and receiver off the RK. Also grungy as h3ll, but cleanable. It's one of the vertical type that fits up inside the fender with a 'L' shaped stinger. I'll probably sell it to recoup some of my outlay... Anyway it's a happy day in Mudville....... :thumbsup2::big-grin-emoticon:

Good job Condor, makes me wanna work on gettin' that trailer up north of ya back to the house....

Already talked w/ IH Truck guy about when he's heading back that way, might as well re-play the way it got there.....

:080402gudl_prv: on cleaning off the HD grease!!

American legend is built here in Illinois just west of Champaign, I stopped by there 2 days ago. They have suspended building all trailers until at least Sturgis unless they receive a large order. seems that the used market is killing them. when you can buy a $4000 trailer for $1500....

American legend is built here in Illinois just west of Champaign, I stopped by there 2 days ago. They have suspended building all trailers until at least Sturgis unless they receive a large order. seems that the used market is killing them. when you can buy a $4000 trailer for $1500....

I'd say that if the resell market is killing them then their retail pricing is out of whack. Serioulsly these bike trailers really shouldn't be costing 2k let alone 4k or more.

Larry

Or the $1000 that I paid for this one.....

I'd say that if the resell market is killing them then their retail pricing is out of whack. Serioulsly these bike trailers really shouldn't be costing 2k let alone 4k or more.

Larry

I gotta agree Larry. I know what it cost to lay up a FRP boat hull. With the cost of material, labor and parts in a small MC trailer, they should be able to make a good profit at around $2400 retail. MOF there are a couple of builders that are making nice trailers in that range now. I think American's problem is their market base. They are building trailers for the hard core Harley crowd, and since that market has gotten really soft because of the economy, sales are way down. Ergo they are waiting for Sturgis thinking that will bail them out. We'll see....

I paid $1400 for my Dart trailer. Plus I striped it down and painted it to match my bike. That's alot more than most would pay but it needs to add to the looks of the bike not take away from it. You will probably be told that so and so only has x- amount into theirs and works just as well, but in my opinion if it looks like crap it ain't worth it. Mine looks sweet behind the bike, does not look like something just thrown together and pulls really nice. I get alot of compliments and thumbs up while going down the highway. You got a nice trailer and your going to enjoy it. Being it was designed and built to be pulled behind a bike, you should have no issues with it.

I paid $1400 for my Dart trailer. Plus I striped it down and painted it to match my bike. That's alot more than most would pay but it needs to add to the looks of the bike not take away from it. You will probably be told that so and so only has x- amount into theirs and works just as well, but in my opinion if it looks like crap it ain't worth it. Mine looks sweet behind the bike, does not look like something just thrown together and pulls really nice. I get alot of compliments and thumbs up while going down the highway. You got a nice trailer and your going to enjoy it. Being it was designed and built to be pulled behind a bike, you should have no issues with it.

The stolen trailer was white and mint so I didn't do anything to it, and it did look nice behind the silver '99. This one is black and it has been used. Not bad, but used. From 10 feet away it looks OK. But even though I only use a trailer sparingly I'm fantasizing about what it would look like with graphics of an American Flag draped over it. Maybe by the gal that did Lone Eagle's bike?? I know it'd probably be more than I could afford, but it's fun dreaming..... :)

The stolen trailer was white and mint so I didn't do anything to it, and it did look nice behind the silver '99. This one is black and it has been used. Not bad, but used. From 10 feet away it looks OK. But even though I only use a trailer sparingly I'm fantasizing about what it would look like with graphics of an American Flag draped over it. Maybe by the gal that did Lone Eagle's bike?? I know it'd probably be more than I could afford, but it's fun dreaming..... :)

Too bad your not close enough to make Freebird's Maintainance day. There is a guy, Jbird, that does awesome pinstripe. He did my bike two years ago and then did my trailer to match the bike last year. He could probably do something awesome for you.

Somebody say something about STURGIS?!?!?!

:900[1]:

I just blew coffee out my nose.....:rotf::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Too bad your not close enough to make Freebird's Maintainance day. There is a guy, Jbird, that does awesome pinstripe. He did my bike two years ago and then did my trailer to match the bike last year. He could probably do something awesome for you.

Yeah, the leggy trailer already came with pin striping, but I think this one's gonna need a paint job before getting fancy. I wish MD weren't so dang far away too.....

Nice trailer you have there Condor. Better chain this one down before it wanders off like your other one did.

:080402gudl_prv:

Larry

Hopefully the chain will slow them down enough that I can get to my S&W. It sets right under the bedroom window for the time being, and will end up in a much securer place later this week.

http://www.cast-aways.com/CONDORPICS/Sam-Side.jpg

The sad thing is if someone want it they are gonna take it now matter what, that is why I have a seperate Insurance writter for my trailers. I have country companies and they do not cover without an added writter( which isnt really all that much for a year).

The sad thing is if someone want it they are gonna take it now matter what, that is why I have a seperate Insurance writter for my trailers. I have country companies and they do not cover without an added writter( which isnt really all that much for a year).

With my carrier they covered it without any added rider. This question came up here before, and it got me to thinking about whether it was actually covered. Called them and all the wanted was the Vin#, Make, and Model. No extra premium for which I actually expected to get dinged. They covered the Motorvation. Not for quite what I thought was a resonable value, but enough to cover the cost of the replacement trailer. So I'm satisfied...