IGNORED

Has anyone tried one of these

sleadhed

I'm looking to replace my head light with an LED Have any of you installed one of these or anything similar

http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=92025&langId=-1

Do our head light reflector housing come out on our 2nd gens?

I can get one for around $250 off of Amazon. My head light is the only light on the bike that is not LED at this point. I just changed out the passing lamps for LED's What a difference!!!

The one item that is a slight concern in the spec sheet is the -40C~50C operating temp range.

50C is 122F., seems like a lot and is for most ambient air temps. But the front lens on the light looks like it could act like a magnifying lens and create higher than ambient temps inside housing.

:2cents:

Gary

I agree, The temp may be a concern. Especially if you get down south where they can hit those kinds of temps. The temp over a blacktop road will be significantly higher than what the weatherman is reporting. Just look at the track temps during a NASCAR race.

The other thing is, what is your reason for changing?

If it is to save power, this light pulls 46 watts. That is more than a 35 Watt HID which has been well proven to work in both functionality and light output.

Another thing to consider is RF noise. There have been issues with some LED lights in the past putting out bad RF noise. RF noise does not just make for bad radio reception but it can mess with any electronics. There are computers on the bike.

With all of that said, someone has to be the gunny pig to try it for the first time. :big-grin-emoticon:

Go for it and let us know how it works out.

Considering these were built for military use originally, I wouldn't worry about the "temp range" too much.

Low beam only uses 23 watts. 12.8v @ 1.8amps.

Also, most HID lights are not D.O.T. approved, where as this LED is.

Thanks for the link FLB

I have no prob with RF noise at all, head lamp is the only bulb on the bike that is not led.

I need to change the light now because after installing these http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200407598_200407598?issearch=127757

in the driving light housings the headlight (silver star ultra) looks wimpy and yellow.

Also, I am am watching the current draw on the system as both wife and I have heated gear. I know the HID lights draw low amps after fully warmed up. I just don't really want to wire in a switched HID light as the initial current to ignite them is high and could be a potential issue at start up. Switched to be turned on after running would resolve such an issue. I just don't want the clutter of another switch and the possibility of forgetting to turn it on. I know I sound just like a woman that cant make up her mind here.

I'll up date if I decide to go with the LED and let you all know how it's working and if I get any RF noise.