IGNORED

Dyna Blues

MikeWa

I put a Dyna 3000 in my bike just after Christmas. As soon as I did the tachometer went ballistic and started reading very high numbers. More than twice the actual rpm. Like 6900 rpm and erratic at 35mph in third. I don't think so. The bike idled rough and there was popping in the exhaust. Overall the bike just ran poorly. My tach is a simple unit with just a one lead pick up that wraps around a spark plug wire. Not much to go wrong. So my guess is the new Dyna ignition module was causing my ignition to misfire and multi fire.

I revisited the settings on the Dyna and made sure the switches were set for 7200 rpm and advance curve 3. They were. I double checked the connectors. They were ok. But the problems persisted. So figuring I just got a bad unit I reinstalled the stock ignition module. Instantly cleared up the problems. The bike went back to her normal good running and the tachometer settled down to the correct reading.

I called Dynatek and got a return authorization number. I sent the unit back with a note describing the problems and my phone number. Which they requested. After not hearing anything for a couple of weeks the unit showed up on my doorstep. Pretty good service so far. Opening the package their repair slip simply said "returning tested good". What does that mean? They didn't find a problem, didn't look for a problem, or it was ok after repairs.

Well we finally got a couple days of decent weather. So I reinstalled the Dyna. I was hopeful because I am looking foreword to raising the rpm limit. But no go. The tach went ballistic again and there was popping in the exhaust. Since I don't want to burn holes in pistons I just took it back off and reinstalled my stock unit again. That answered the question about what they did to it. Nothing.

I am sitting here getting ready to call Dynatek again. Any suggestions? Oh yea, I did a short video of the module install including the tach readings.

Mike

"returning tested good" means, to me, that they tested the unit and found it to be good so they returned it to you.

I would suggest asking them if you can email them the video of the installation including the tach's rather odd behavior. Maybe they can divine something from that.

Good luck with this problem. Hope you get it ironed out!

Mike

Are you certian that you have the correct model Dyna for your bike? Dyna makes models for the Venture and the original Ryal Star they are similar and maybe even have the same connectors, but are not interchangable.

Just asking the obvious, in case it has been over looked.

Mike

Are you certian that you have the correct model Dyna for your bike? Dyna makes models for the Venture and the original Ryal Star they are similar and maybe even have the same connectors, but are not interchangable.

Just asking the obvious, in case it has been over looked.

I think the 4 is for the 96-97 Royal Star, and the 5 is for the Venture... The pic below shows for 99-2000 as it's an old doc I ripped off Ebay.... :)

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Yamaha-Royal-Star-Venture-1300-DYNATEK-DYNA-3000-Digital-Performance-Ignition-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$(KGrHqJHJCQE9qvQ6vpoBPgO9HikEw~~60_58.JPG

Good questions. I checked the part number and I have the D3K7-5 which seems to be the right number. Also the three connectors fit and are in the right location.

I will call Dynatek this week and get their response.

Mike