IGNORED

Magic Jack Plus

wes0778

We have had Majic Jack for 2 years now and have been VERY Happy with it. $69.00 for 5 years for unlimited north American calling, not bad!! I probubly will go with the new one but I am not in a hurry. I think I can still get it for a special price of $20.00. And with my lap top I can use it anywhere. I say go for it.

Just another one to consider. I have some friends that went with Ooma. They like it very well and other than the couple hundred for the equipment, never another phone bill. Probably the way I'm going to go here very soon. :2cents:

Still stuck with Frontier bundle. Dish, Internet and phone in one package.

I use magic jack on a pc that I don't use. It has internet access but it just runs the magic jack.

The big problem with MJ is that you cant have too many phones connected to the line. Also if you have older phones...or God forbid an old bell ringer phone, nothing will ring!

Has anyone else tried Ooma?:usa:

Have had OOMA about a year now-GREAT. Only $3.00 fed tax and fees/month(actually about $2.58) Installs right behind modem, (modem-OOMA-router-computers)computer does not need to be on, all normal house phones wired and work like normal, even caller id on dish tv. E911. Able to log into account and see/rename all calls made/received/missed, additional premier account($20/month?)(i dont have) will allow call blocking of any and all numbers selected in account list. even keep current number($40) and second line number.

Only bad is I was unable to get my fax working, but suspect because of old style machine.

OOMA has my vote, wouldn't touch Magic Jack with 10'pole. $3.00 sure beats my old LL $50/month=basic+area wide+caller id, and current cable (broadband)provider wants to add $20/month for phone.

A couple guys at the office has been using Ooma three or four years now and they love it. They did the one time deal and kept their own numbers. I figure here shortly as soon as I get another Internet provider I'm going to Ooma.

Just FYI it is a VOIP or voice over internet protocol. It can be a problem when dialing 911 as far as connecting to the correct 911 dispatch center. The VOIP uses the address that your service provider assigned, if they assigned it at all. You must remember that if you travel or move you must update the address and this typically takes between 24hrs to a few days. Basically if you live at 123 xyz street in hometown illinois and travel to florida, when you call 911 you will get the 911 center for hometown illinois. This can cause serious delays if you need police, fire or ems. If you use your home phone, it uses the Master Street Address Guide or MSAG and it has very good accuracy. Next a cell phone will go to plhase II and it will give the lat lon of the caller. Even the cell phone will call the correct 911 center most of the time ( The exception is when near county or state lines). If you have voip you should call your 911 coordinator and ask to test it to see you are getting the correct 911 center and that it is giving the correct location. They should have you call 911 and check the ani ali screen.

I have been using Teleblend since they started operations several years ago(used to be SunRocket) and I have no complaints at all. It is VOIP and has worked flawlessly for us. We fax routinely with no issues as well. The service is $99 a year plus taxes an federal fees, works out to about $130 a year if you pre pay for unlimited calling throughout the US. Good luck with your search.