IGNORED

What would you do?

Kirby

Those of you that have had to replace your clutch spring, did you double up on the springs? I'm thinking about giving Skydoc 17 some business, but I have another option that I think will hold me over for a while longer. Let me explain. Several years ago I had the clutch in my Vmax start to slip. Not knowing what I know now, I put all new friction discs and a new oem diaphram spring in and corrected the problem. I still have those discs, which by the way weren't worn at all, and the old spring. My question is this, If you were me would you simply double up that spring with the one now in my RSV and ride a while longer with a new gasket, or go ahead and purchase the deal that Earl has? I have the utmost confidence in Harry's product but, I already have these parts laying around. What would you do?

Edited by Kirby

Well Dan, that's what I was thinking. And since I would have it apart, I'd go ahead and use a full disc in the back like Earl's kit replaces. I just don't know how much strain the doubling up of the springs will put on the bolts, and how much pressure difference there would be at the lever.

Edited by Kirby

Thanks Dan, I'll do that and go from there. Today was the first time I felt the clutch slip. We were riding 2up and I got on it pretty hard. Bike has about 47k miles on it so I know from all the other experience on this website that it's about time for it to start going. My Vmax went at 30k miles. Sounds like a job for the weekend!

I have done this on 3 Ventures with zero problems, the handle pull will be noticeably harder though. The '86 I have now has the 2 springs in it and will quite easily pull the front wheel off the ground if I wish to do that. It locks up great and you wont have to worry about it. Make sure you cleans the steels real well, if you have access to a sand blaster use that and then take some scotchbright to surface it.....

:2cents:

Hey Kirby,

Before the introduction of the PCW heavy duty clutch diaphragm spring, the Venture and Vmax owners used to double up on the stock clutch springs with no ill affects. (myself included) The Vmax owners dubbed this change "The Double D Mod". After a few weeks of riding with two stock clutch diaphragm springs in your clutch basket, you will be able to crack walnuts with your left hand, barehanded! :crackup:Just in time for Christmas!

As technology has improved, I went the PCW clutch spring route because of the decreased amount of clutch lever force needed to hold the clutch lever in at a stop light. Plus I'm getting a bit older now, and my left hand started cramping after a long days ride.

BUT this was "The Fix" for many years for the V4 Yamaha bikes that used the Clutch Diaphragm Spring. Since you will be spending "Zero Money" on the doubled up clutch diaphragm springs to solve the slipping problem, The $10.00 spent on a new clutch cover gasket would be a wise decision in my opinion. You wouldn't want to turn your bike into a "leaker". Take care to "center" the second clutch diaphragm spring over top of the first spring, or you could notice a small vibration at higher RPM's.

The clutch lever engagement point will be affected by the addition of the second spring, so if you have "the hands of a 10 year old boy", (small hands, short fingers) :crackup:control of the "friction zone", might be a bit of a challenge. But the "Double D Mod" will most definitely cure the clutch slippage problem.:thumbsup2:

Just in case you find the clutch lever pull to much:

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3763&title=second-genheavy-duty-clutch-spring-upgrade-kit-21&cat=22

Earl

I had the same thing happen to mine at about 50 or 60K miles, after reading the posts I ordered the PCW heavy spring and replaced the clutch discs as well. I hated how stiff the clutch handle was and took it out and replaced the half disk I think they call it with a full disk, it is for smoother grabbing of the clutch discs. It basically gives the stock spring a little more stiffness but barely noticeable when squeezing the handle. Someone on this forum gave me the idea and I am glad they did.

I agree with Sylvester and the others.

Just double up on the spring and keep on riding.

At 45K my 07 started slipping and I bought and replaced the friction disks and the spring but the friction disks were not worn and had lot's more miles in them.

Take the $ you save and buy yourself something you really need. Or use it for my present, whatever works for you.

:safemotorcycle:

I agree with Sylvester and the others.

Just double up on the spring and keep on riding.

At 45K my 07 started slipping and I bought and replaced the friction disks and the spring but the friction disks were not worn and had lot's more miles in them.

Take the $ you save and buy yourself something you really need. Or use it for my present, whatever works for you.

:safemotorcycle:

:crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup::crackup:

Well, I purchased the heavier clutch spring w/ the friction discs and I'm glad I did. I read before hand about doubling the stock spring and I had a concern with the springs moving around enough to do damage at the worst possible place and time. A single heavier spring just made more sense to me. You don't have to get the friction plates if you have a set that's not worn (my original set wasn't). I suggest buying a new set of bolts for the clutch spring. After removing them, I had 2 bent bolt heads and one other broke as I started to torque them in. Yamaha should have used higher strength bolts. After install, get ready for that new clutch grab again.

:Venture:

Well, I finally received the clutch gasket from Skydoc17 this afternoon so I went ahead with the installation of the extra spring from my Vmax . Earl you weren't kidding when you said that after a little while and I'd be able to crack walnuts with my left hand. HEHEHE. Anyway, thanks for getting it out in the mail so quickly. Just wish that the USPS understood what priority mail meant! Or maybe it's me that expects too much from a dying service!! Got it all put back together and boy, it sure does hook up now!! Thanks again!! "Biggal" is now a "Double D" !!

Edited by Kirby