IGNORED

New sounds coming from front end.What is it?

muaymendez1

I have been hearing a clunk when going over large bumps.I thought the fender or something like that was loose but a preliminary check turns up nothing loose.

It really concerned me sunday after rolling through a rough part of the road.I thought something was gonna fall off.

Another noise was like heard when leaning into a curve.Can't explain it but the sound was in conjunction with a feel.Are my wheel bearings dry,damaged, or could it be my neck bearings.

I'm sorry this is so cryptic but I can't video tape the sound because the wind noise is too great.I am just hoping some one has an ideawhat neck and wheel bearings symptoms might be.

Maybe some inspections I can preform.I csnt figure oit how to change the fork oil without removing the forks.

The klunk is possibly the steering head bearings being loose. As for the noise going into a curve - tires. I suspect the center of the tire is squared off from doing a lot of straight line. Once the tire achieves this state, they whine when they go around corners.

RR

That sounds about right a wine.The tire only has 1000 miles but it is a bridgestone.I will research the neck bearings and see if that can be tightened this weekend.I havn't read too much on it but remember over tightening is a bad thing.

I will think about springs after the neck.But wouldn't bad springs show up on bad handling

I had the bridgestone on my bike when I bought it, and yes, they are a loud tire. you don't hear them when your riding behind the fairing, but, lay into a turn, and come from behind the fairing, you'll hear them. even over the radio. But the front tire out lasted two rear tires. Oh, and they Suck in the rain.

I had the bridgestone on my bike when I bought it, and yes, they are a loud tire. you don't hear them when your riding behind the fairing, but, lay into a turn, and come from behind the fairing, you'll hear them. even over the radio. But the front tire out lasted two rear tires. Oh, and they Suck in the rain.

when don't they suck, I did not like mine wet, dry or any other condition

Gregg

So with some of the answers here and some research in thee pages I'm leaning towards the neck bearings.

I am going to need a special tool and have to repack the bearings.Not something I can really afford or want to do during the winter.

I ride every sunday during winter and do my repairs in the spring.

I guess I can start shopping for the items and have them waiting

There is a common issue that crops up on the original Royal Stars, that causes odd noises from the front and is hard to track down unless you know where to look.

The bracket that holds the cooling fan is known to crack and break regularly on those bikes, the resulting noise can be very disturbing when riding.

Reach in behind the radiator and try flexing the bracket that holds the fan, check it from both the left and the right just to be sure.

Repairing it requires pulling the fan and bracket, I fixed mine with a few bits of scrap aluminum flat plate, machine screws and nuts, and a helping of JB Weld just to be sure.

just another idea you can check off the list.

Edited by M61A1MECH
correct spelling

Jose,

It's most likely the fact that your oem springs have lost all of their sag, leaving your forks very little travel left after they drop from the weight of the bike and you. This results in the upper fork tube bottoming out on hard bumps and hard front braking.

It could be your head bearings but if they are that loose, you would experience different handling characteristics....that you would NOT like. The second culprit could be a loose steering stem nut. The torque on this nut is around 60 ft lbs and when it get's loose you will feel a clunk on hard front braking. This is the large chrome nut in the center of your top triple tree.

Hope this helps,

Rick

I have been hearing a clunk when going over large bumps.I thought the fender or something like that was loose but a preliminary check turns up nothing loose.

It really concerned me sunday after rolling through a rough part of the road.I thought something was gonna fall off.

Another noise was like heard when leaning into a curve.Can't explain it but the sound was in conjunction with a feel.Are my wheel bearings dry,damaged, or could it be my neck bearings.

I'm sorry this is so cryptic but I can't video tape the sound because the wind noise is too great.I am just hoping some one has an ideawhat neck and wheel bearings symptoms might be.

Maybe some inspections I can preform.I csnt figure oit how to change the fork oil without removing the forks.

Ok after careful inspection I found that the brake hose guard by the front caliper was creating a rub mark on the fork.I bent that back a lil and didn't hear the noise today.Didn't give it a good enough ride but so far so good.Although now my head is filed with ideas of changing the fork oil and next year changing out the springs. Can any tell me if there is a write up on changing the fork oil.