I took the air cleaner off today looking for a gas smell. The seal on #1 carb is not leaking (another thread covers epoxy sealing a small carb leak) and I found no gas anywhere. Started the Beast and watched for anything. #1 and #2 carbs want to puff a little white smoke (vapor?) when the throttle is twisted moderately hard from idle. All four slides are slightly open (1/4") when the engine is not running (is this normal?).

There is wet oil on the tops of #1 and #2 carbs. I can see where it is coming out of the air breather and working its way through the air cleaner boots. I put a small air filter (see photo) inside the air box to try and slow this down.

OK all you experts . . . Why does my VR smell like gas? :depressed:

Does it smell only when it is running, or when it is shut off? How about the next day?

Chance are that you might have a very small leak in the bottom of your tank that is right at the moment only seeping.

It smells all the time.

It started smelling last weekend after a couple-of-hundred mile day ride.

The beast has 73,600+ miles on the chassis and tank. I will look under the gas tank.

I had the opportunity to find that one of the carb fuel bowl covers had 2 loose screws... not enough to dump or drip but just enough to leak a tiny bit and cause that stink. I actually used some talc powder to make it show up. But tank pin holes are nortorious.

Gary also check your fuel pump and filter for leaks.there might be a small crack in the line feeding the pump.

If you need a tank let me know I am parting out 2 scoots

Jeff

Bingo!

The inlet hose of my fuel filter appears to be weeping.:cool10:

Thanks Jeff

I used to have a major gas smell in the garage.

It was bad enough that I was seriously thinking of going to a fuel injected bike. (Gold Wing??)

Ive done two things that have helped alot.

1. I buy only Premium gas, no improvement in performance or mileage, but no more gas smell.

2. I dont fill it up as much as I used to.

I used to have a major gas smell in the garage.

It was bad enough that I was seriously thinking of going to a fuel injected bike. (Gold Wing??)

Ive done two things that have helped alot.

1. I buy only Premium gas, no improvement in performance or mileage, but no more gas smell.

2. I dont fill it up as much as I used to.

I'm not sure I understand the reason why these two things would minimize gas smell in the garage . . .

:think:

Update:

Well, I put a better hose clamp on the fuel filter and it is no longer leaking. The smell seemed to go away for a bit . . . But came back with a vengeance. The Beast is parked outside tonight because the smell is that bad!

I guess I will take stuff apart this week :smash2:

Buy some spray on foot powder and get a 100 watt trouble light ....

Thats how I found the oring gasket leaks on my carb bowls...

Just spray under the tank (starting with the bottom of your tank around petcock) then the carbs.

If it isn't powedry white...that's where your leak is........

Good Hunting!

Edited by CaptainJoe

Update #2:

I found gas weeping from the fuel line at the petcock. The hose was disturbed when I put a hose clamp on the fuel filter. A new hose clamp is now on the petcock fuel line.

I will take it for a ride later today . . . :fingers crossed:

So it seems you work about the same way I do....

We do a job, undo it because of problems , redo again...usually creating a different problem. so we finally redo it one more time correctly! (or at least we hope so!)

:bang head::bang head:

• 2 weeks later...

Still have strong gas smell. The gas cap no longer releases pressure when I open it. I removed the California canister a couple of years ago and I have had no problems until now. A friend suggested a vent tube was cracked or loose. However, I cannot remember what I did to modify the tubing. Where can I find the California set-up in the manual?

:confused24:

• 4 months later...

OK gents, I found another place where fuel was drip-dripping. It seems the drain plugs on the two left cylinders are weeping. I was able to remove the air box and get a 10mm ratchet box-end in there and tighten both plugs. I certainly hope this is the end of my gas smell in the garage!

:fingers-crossed-emo

BTW: I have developed a system for installing the breather hose on the air box. I bought a long-reach pair of needle-nose pliers. They allow me to grab the breather hose, lower the air box, and work the hose on. The pliers also make it a snap putting on the smaller hose.

:cool10:

Rode a couple of hundred miles yesterday.

Parked the Beast in the garage and closed the door.

An hour later went in to check and still have gas smell, just not as bad.

:depressed:

Gary I had a long standing battle with gasoline stink I finally tracked it down to one of the boots beetween the carb bottom & the engine. The boot was loose & gas would gurgle slightly. Just enough to stick out the garage so badly that I was worried the fumes would be ignited by the gas water heater. I tightened down the boot an the smell ended!

Just a place to look.

I feel your pain - Good Luck.

• 5 months later...

Ladies and gentlemen,

I really think I have fixed my gas-smell problem this time. After enough dirt built up on the carb float bowls I could see where the #1 float was leaking a tiny bit. It looked like the drain plug. I pulled the carb rack out of the left side without removing any cables (had to remove four fairing mounting bolts to get an extra inch). The drain o-ring cost me $5. Put the carb rack on and left the lowers off for a test ride. It was still leaking. It has to be the float bowl o-ring. Removed the carb rack again and the rear carb bracket to get the float bowl off. Sure enough, the o-ring was bad. $12 and a 50 mile round trip to the only dealer in my area that had one in stock . . . No leaks. Rode around for a weekend, no gas smell.

Woo-Hoo!!! :cool10:

• 2 weeks later...

I'll throw this in the hat for future reference on the gas smell. I used to get that smell once in a while and only sometimes in a closed space. I finally found it. Wasn't the most obvious place to see.

At one time I'd had the fuel sending unit out of the tank. There is the rubber seal between the unit plate and the tank body. I had thought I had it tight enough when I reinstalled it but I guess not. There was just some seepage at the seal, enough to weep a little gas when the tank was fuel of close to it. Not enough to cause a puddle or a drip but enough to cause the smell. I only noticed it because there was a dust buildup around the sending uint. If the fuel level was low, below the sending unit, I didn't get the smell at all.

Something to look at anyway when the smell it there and the carbs look good.

Mike