IGNORED

Rough Running and such

Rick Haywood

As some of you know I have been battleinga rough running issue in 4th and 5th gear under a load for 3 months now, also popping and some back firring when slowing down or coasting down hill. Anyway on our trip it got worse and really hammered under a load in 4th and 5th gear. My mileage also dropped from 41 mpg to around 37mpg. Over the last couple of months I have done everything I could think of to fix the problem but it just kept slowly getting worse. I had also noticed that the gas cap was becoming a little hard to take off and put back on. Well today I happened to look at the bottom of the cap and noticed there are two little screws tjhat hold the locking part to the top of the cap. Well one of the srews were missing and the other one was 4 turns loose. After tightening it up it went back on like it was suppose to and low and behold my problem was solved. The bike ran smooth again and 2 tanks later I averaged 41.7 MPG. What a wonderful feeling to have it running the way it used to. So everyone check the little screws in their gas cap to be safe. Not sure where the one went that is missing but will take off the tank and drain to see if it is insidce or not. Evidently the tank needs to be sealed tight by the gas cap for it to run correctly.

When you say hammered under load in 4 and 5 are you saying the bike bucked like a horse and you had to drop a gear or two to accelerate? If so sounds familiar, mine has been doing that ever since the dealer fixed a small oil leak at one of the head gaskets(of course he had to take the whole bike apart for a couple months to do that)

glad you found your cause

Al

When you say hammered under load in 4 and 5 are you saying the bike bucked like a horse and you had to drop a gear or two to accelerate? If so sounds familiar, mine has been doing that ever since the dealer fixed a small oil leak at one of the head gaskets(of course he had to take the whole bike apart for a couple months to do that)

Al

Well as I did not see your bike model and make in your signature or profile at page, I checked your profile at your profile page and found that you have a 2007 model. Not meaning to rob this thread and all, but had to notice about the oil leak at the head. I had this same problem.

The 07 model had a recall per my mechanic Boone at Jackson,Ky Motor-sports. I bought the bike at Ashland,Ky and did not trust the dealer mechanic there. The recall said that all dealers should have this particular 07 model head bolts torqued to specs before customer left with the bike. Some of this model got out of the factory with out the head bolts being properly tightened. My bike was fixed and no other problems. If the leak starts before the bolts are torqued, then all that can be done is to replace the gasket to fix properly. My bike was returned with in two weeks.

Glad you found your problem Rick. But I have to say that I sure would like to hear one of the mechanic goroos to chime in and explain how this fixed your rough running problem. That is odd, and thanks, I will check my bolt/screws in the cap.

:thumbsup2: Fuzzy

Al

No I did not have to drop a gear and it still had the power (almost) as it should. It just ran like a v-twin and you could feel it in your feet and hands. It really ran like it was running on 3 cylinders. I assume that the cap wasn't sealing with the screw missing and the other loose which caused the cap to start to seperate. With the seperation the seal on the cap didn't seal the way it was suppose to, to the tank. :confused24:

No I did not have to drop a gear and it still had the power (almost) as it should. It just ran like a v-twin and you could feel it in your feet and hands. It really ran like it was running on 3 cylinders. I assume that the cap wasn't sealing with the screw missing and the other loose which caused the cap to start to seperate. With the seperation the seal on the cap didn't seal the way it was suppose to, to the tank. :confused24:

Why would a tank that is not sealed cause the engine to run rough under load?