About one month ago, I used a 1/4" drive ratchet with several long extensions, a 1/4" socket and an appropriate phillips head adapter placed in the socket. I held the phillips in place with one hand and with using the other managed to remove both fasteners holding it on. It was quick and pretty fuss free. My VR is an 86 and that was the first time the TCI was removed. I've read horror stories on this website about how difficult others have had getting it out; maybe I was just lucky.

You have to get it from below. I got to my TCI from the left side, I went in just over top of the engine. I got the out side screw out with a 1/4" drive ratchet, but the screw head on the inside screw stripped out. I used an air grinder with a cutoff wheel and cut the screw tab off the TCI. I relocated the TCI on top of the air box.

Earl

here's the simplest way. REMOVE the lowers on the fairing. Remove the black plastic cover on the front head. The trick to the cover is remove out the right, tilting the cover front up and wiggle it out between the cams by #4 spark plug valley. Above that is ANOTHER shroud cover to keep heat off the TCI. 99% of the Ventures do NOT have the upper shroud placed properly. It literally is to rest against the frame under the steering stem. Once these covers are out use a small mirror to see the screws holding the TCI. THen use a GOOD #3 phillips bit on a 1/4" socket (taped in)..short extension...done!

I tried to use the rachet and screwdriver bit. That's when I found out the PO had stripped out the screw heads.

I did manage to get the left screw out and then used a hacksaw blade to cut the right ear off. I relocated my TCI to the inside of the left faring next to the radio.