IGNORED

New with some questions!

ACE50

Hi guys and gals,

Just added a 99 Venture with 55k to my Honda 1100 Sabre, which I love, but the Venture is popping on decel and has bad off-throttle responce so I think a rejet (cleanning at a minimum) is needed. Play around with Sabre jetting all the time so just need pointed in the right direction. Just ordered a service manual on CD.

Came with new Metzlers, battery, clutch so she should be ready to go. Anything else I might need to check with this many miles? Valve adjustment?

Thanks in advance.

:stirthepot:

Oh ya, what's a decent driver backrest for cheap?

These bikes rarely need a rejet with anywhere near a stock configuration.

Possible exhaust leak I beleive I have read.

Using a good dose of Seafoam gas treatment will be the #1 recomendation. Sold at wal-mart for $8-10 a can. Red & white can about 12oz. size.

Could be carbs need synched, idle jets adjusted.

Probably could stand valves checked if unkown when or if they have been checked.

Replace all brake & clutch fluids.

As my standard warning, I don't have one of the R(eally) S(low) V(entures), so all of this is pure speculation.

Gary

These bikes need a carb sync periodically. The good news is that its easy to do and takes all of 15 minutes. You might as well buy a 4 carb synchronizer. Many people like the Carbtune although others swear that vacuum gauges are more accurate. Cost is under $100 for the gauges in either case. See the Technical Forum for 2nd Gens (RSV and RSTD) for a detailed writeup with pictures.

We hold local maintenance days, so watch for one nearby to get a lesson. Or perhaps someone who lives nearby will volunteer to show you how its done and already has gauges.

Oh yes, and watch out for sarcasm from 1st gen venture riders.

Oh yes, and watch out for sarcasm from 1st gen venture riders.

:bawling:

That's it...now my feelings are hurt.

If I've told you once I've told you ten million times I don't exagerate or use sarcasm!

besides....it's just the truth!

1st Gens just go faster!!!!

Would I lie?

edit: you can find manuals (probably better than the CD) here in the tech library.

Edited by Trader
to add some actual information

Hi guys and gals,

Just added a 99 Venture with 55k to my Honda 1100 Sabre, which I love, but the Venture is popping on decel and has bad off-throttle responce so I think a rejet (cleanning at a minimum) is needed. Play around with Sabre jetting all the time so just need pointed in the right direction. Just ordered a service manual on CD.

Came with new Metzlers, battery, clutch so she should be ready to go. Anything else I might need to check with this many miles? Valve adjustment?

Thanks in advance.

:stirthepot:

Oh ya, what's a decent driver backrest for cheap?

Mine was doing that and I found that one of the boots had come off the top of the carbs, It is undcer the fuel tank and is part of the air intake system. I fixed it and it stopped popping and ran a bunch better

Guest tx2sturgis

Or you can just plug the AIS system...but suggesting that on this board sometimes brings out the green patrol.

:duck:

It is an option tho.

Or you can just plug the AIS system...but suggesting that on this board sometimes brings out the green patrol.

:duck:

It is an option tho.

I agree, probably your problem. If the AIS has never been plugged that is. Good rite up about doing that here in the Tech section. I would check this first, then carb sync for sure, a regular thing for these bikes. My Tour Deluxe, 07 model, has around 14,000 and I have had the carbs synced twice. It helped both times. I did plug the AIS system on my bike as soon as I put on the after market pipes. It stopped the popping, runs great.

The valve adjustment, from what I have read here, is probably due, or close to due (50,000 - 75,000), I would let the professionals from here do that. Even If I had to ride a few hundred miles and pay them to get it done correctly. Maybe someone will chime in on a good mechanic in your area to do a good valve adjustment too.

Welcome, and enjoy your new ride. You really come to the right place to get help. A fine and knowledgeable bunch here. Some really good mechanics and some shade tree mechanics like myself.

I see you are a trial member. I would highly recommend you paying the $12.00 for a yr of membership. It is worth every dime. It is easy to pay with Pay Pal. You can find all kinds of information here about the backrest. I would also recommend that you put your bike information in your signature and or with your profile picture. This way everyone can see what bike your talking about with out you spending the time telling everyone over and over as you post.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

Edited by FuzzyRSTD

Welcome to the RSV family. Don't listen to those old 1st Gener's. It is kind of like the rabbit and hare. They run ahead and we plod along. However, we get to the Dairy Queen first 'cause they have to keep stopping to pick up parts that fall off.

Just kidding of course. Both generations of Ventures are fine, reliable, beautiful bikes.

Keep an eye out for a local maintenance day. You will learn a lot there. Also, it is a good $12 investment to join. You will save multiples of that every year by what you can learn on here. Good folks and knowledgeable too.

I will come sync you carbs for you if you pay for my gas. Mind you, I would be coming from Wisconsin, so it would probably be better to find some help locally. But I do love to ride in Western Viginny (and some eastern VA). Used to call on Limitorque in Lynchburg years ago in a different life. Nice area.

Enjoy your new ride. It is a great bike.

And to answer your question - likely a carb sync and a check of the boots. Shims can be done on your own if you are a confident wrench and have the tools. Best bet is to find one of the members with the tools and experience and ply them with cheap beer.

Again, welcome.

RR

Ran a couple of tanks with Bell's Mix-I-Go (used that since the '70's - great stuff) and turned up the idle a bit and much better, back-firing much less, could be better. Will get around to synching.

Found the air filters installed wrong, was bummed out about that. Oh well, can't do any thing about it now.

Thanks for the info guys!

Ran a couple of tanks with Bell's Mix-I-Go (used that since the '70's - great stuff) and turned up the idle a bit and much better, back-firing much less, could be better. Will get around to synching.

Found the air filters installed wrong, was bummed out about that. Oh well, can't do any thing about it now.

Thanks for the info guys!

Welcome to the forum. Give the Sea Foam a shot, The stuff really works. What I dont understand is how the air filters could be installed wrong. They fit into the air box only 1 way.

OK, I just saw your other post on the subject.....

One thing, You've been on a V-twin. These V4's are a totally different beast. You may need to adjust you shifting. These bike NEED higher RPM's. You can take 2nd to 55 easily. These bikes have a LOT of power, ya just got to know where it is.

That's funny after looking at the user manual. It says you should shift into 5th at 36 MPH. Who in the hell does that? I also take my 1100 Sabre all the time to 55 in second or untill I hit the rev limiter, at least on the 'Dragon', but ya, that must be why they use these engines in the VMAX! Lov'n it so far!

BTW, it only pops on decel.

Just picked up a really clean 2001 with 12,000 on the clock and it was poping a lot on decele as well,disconnected the ais,did the Jason mod,and turned the idle up,made a big difference ,only pops on really hard decels now and runs a lot smoother. Give those a try worked for me:080402gudl_prv:

You guys will find the Jason mod kinda useless. You connecting 2 vacuum ports together. There's not enough flow thru those little pin holes to make a noticeably difference. Now if you could connect something the size of say 30mm between the two carbs then you would have about the same thing as the Vmax setup.

I've read a couple comments on disconnecting the ais. Could someone please point me in the right place to get info on this.

Also my front bezel on the radio remote control is cracked. Where to get a cheap replacement? or should I just try and repair it?

I agree, probably your problem. If the AIS has never been plugged that is. Good rite up about doing that here in the Tech section. I would check this first, then carb sync for sure, a regular thing for these bikes. My Tour Deluxe, 07 model, has around 14,000 and I have had the carbs synced twice. It helped both times. I did plug the AIS system on my bike as soon as I put on the after market pipes. It stopped the popping, runs great.

The valve adjustment, from what I have read here, is probably due, or close to due (50,000 - 75,000), I would let the professionals from here do that. Even If I had to ride a few hundred miles and pay them to get it done correctly. Maybe someone will chime in on a good mechanic in your area to do a good valve adjustment too.

Welcome, and enjoy your new ride. You really come to the right place to get help. A fine and knowledgeable bunch here. Some really good mechanics and some shade tree mechanics like myself.

I see you are a trial member. I would highly recommend you paying the $12.00 for a yr of membership. It is worth every dime. It is easy to pay with Pay Pal. You can find all kinds of information here about the backrest. I would also recommend that you put your bike information in your signature and or with your profile picture. This way everyone can see what bike your talking about with out you spending the time telling everyone over and over as you post.

Fuzzy :thumbsup2:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=485

:thumbsup2: