IGNORED

Honda Shadow - Rebuild

RedRider

During our annual spring ride, my younger brother (Scott) let all the oil out of his Honda Shadow Aero 1100 in western Texas. He has been debated whether to part it out, or have it fixed. The local shop advised it would be $1500 to $1800 to fix it depending on what needs replaced/repaired.

Well........

I have fooled Scott into thinking I was a decent wrench and he is having the dead bike shipped up here (from Dallas) for me to work on. Just what I need - another project. Like the 2 dead bikes in the shop aren't enough.

Anyhooo, it will be fun to tear it apart knowing that if it can't be fixed, I can just buy a used engine an stick it in there. Be about $1000 to go that route. Yeah, I know, if we were to do this, it would have been easier and cost about the same to have the local shop do it.

It will all be worth it to watch the expression on my wife's face when this bike is rolled off the truck and into the garage. As of this point, she knows nothing about it and thinks I spent too much time/money on the bikes already (she may have a point, but I will not acknowledge it).

Anybody have a Honda Shadow 1100 engine laying around? I believe anything from 1998 to 2004 will fit.

RR

Edited by RedRider

• 4 months later...

Well, we found the problem. See picture #1.

We found the solution. See picture #2. 220 lbs of shiny goodness.

A thread of the complete project will be posted once done (if successful:smile5:).

RR

Edited by RedRider

Got a great deal on Ebay. A boneyard called onestopoutlet (at least that's their Ebay name) out of PA. Good folks to deal with. Did a nice job packaging it and shipped quickly.

Got it for about 60% of what we were expecting (and were willing to pay).

RR

I happen to have a PDF file of the Honda Shadow repair manual and a PDF file of the Honda Shadow parts manual.

If you either, send me your home email address in a P-Email here and I will attach them and send them to you. :thumbsup2:

I just had a thought Jeff, (Ya, I know, it don't happen often), You should probably hang onto all paperwork/reciepts associated with this engine change and perhaps have your brother check with the DMV type folks down there and make sure things are on the up and up as far as paperwork is concerned with the engine swap.

I know it probably won't be scrutinized like an HD would at a rally, but these things do get check at certain places so be aware.

I just had a thought Jeff, (Ya, I know, it don't happen often), You should probably hang onto all paperwork/reciepts associated with this engine change and perhaps have your brother check with the DMV type folks down there and make sure things are on the up and up as far as paperwork is concerned with the engine swap.

I know it probably won't be scrutinized like an HD would at a rally, but these things do get check at certain places so be aware.

Bob,

Thanks for the heads up. I will keep the paperwork together for him. Shouldn't be an issue since they usually only check the neck labels for the VIN. But you never know how they may do it Texas.

RR

I had them go over mine one time at 3:00 am at a Casey's just because I didn 't have eye protection on. I was out of state and explained to the officer that I had a full fairing and winsheild but he said it didn't matter. He was a local small town cop and I guess was bored.

Following is a copy of my progress update posted on the Honda Shadow forum.

Well, we are on the way to getting this beast back on the asphalt. Broken engine was removed, output gear housing with speed sensor was swapped, and new Sabre engine was put back in the frame.

Couple of notes. There is a shim between the output gear housing and the crankcase. This sets the backlash between the bevel gears. I checked (by feel) the backlash before disassembling each. The shim on the Sabre engine measured 0.0180" while the shim from the Aero was 0.0225". Initial install of the output gear housing was done with the larger Aero shim. Too loose. Removed and reinstalled with the Sabre shim. Much better.

The last picture is of my helpers (my sons Curtiss and Grant). They are much better at lifting heavy things than I am now.

Hope to have this running by Sunday. We shall see.

RR

The following is a copy of my progress update posted on the Honda Shadow forum.

Yea, you better make progress with two other bikes in your garage...

or your wife will have your....:stirthepot:

There are 3 more upstairs (that run). And if all goes right, I will be picking up another one this weekend. I won't be getting much ice fishing in this year. Although, that's probably a good thing. I don't like ice fishing.:smile5:

RR

• 2 weeks later...

Got the Shadow engine swapped and it started!! Found a coolant leak caused by my reusing a seal (I know better than that) so it won't be off the lift until Tuesday or Wednesday.

However, it started and ran.

Replacing the seal should take about an hour and another couple of hours to button it up. Should be ready to load onto the trailer for the trip to warmer climes on Thursday. Pictures will be posted then.

It will then be time to give some love to the other orphans.

RR