IGNORED

2006 rstd lowering kit

grmcconnell

I recently purchased a lowring kit from Baron. I'm fairly short, 5'6", and after riding the bike felt I needed a little better stability. My favorite dealer says I should also lower the front end to equalize the handling. We've tried to find some new springs, but were not successful. He is suggesting we cut the existing springs and that will do the trick. I'm not so sure that's a great idea. How will that effect the steering and ride? Anybody have any experience with this option??

I've been thinking about the same thing and did a lot of scanning this forum and others about it. Baron's does make a front lowering kit and a performance version. I was curious as to what the difference is in handling..

See the doc I attached in this thread for what all I found about it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=56695

• 2 years later...

I had the dealer install a Baron Lowering Kit and it's a great addition to the RSTD. The handling seemed to be the same, although I only rode it about 50 miles home from the dealer. The only thing I noticed is the headlight will need to be adjusted as it was shining pretty high. I also took the RSV sown to have a lowering kit put on it. It is a little taller than the RSTD. It will be great to get it lowered a little. Mark (Phoneman1981) & I will get together and compare the feel of a lowered and non-lowered RSTD & let you know. We were going to do this install ourselves, but I have run out of time and got impatient to get it installed so I had the dealer do it. When I picked the bike up the mechanic said the only thing that was a little dicey was the relocation of the brake caliper, (sometheng about having to turn or relocate the banjo) maybe a little to advanced for me without some help. Anyway the lowered bike is really nice when you pull up to a stop sign.

C Ya,

I bought my venture 3 years ago came with a barrons lowering kit installed and handle bar risers 1.5 last year I took them all out and put bars back to stock. and raised rear by an inch over stock. sooo much better handling in the twisties and curves. 1" higher in the rear puts more weight on the front end. it wasn't very stable in the twisties and I realize im not riding crotch rocket.At 6 foot for me it handles a lot better and I found the front end to be too light even more so when my wife was with me. I was getting tired of dragging the exhaust pipes oncurves and turns so I found these 1" above stock jack up links out of London by lust racing made from ss400 steel and powder coated. I was able to leave the caliper relocating mount that came with the barron lowering kit.for me it was the best investment ive made other than buying the bike. A friend of mine also bought the jack up links for his royal star tourer and he loves them as well.

It sure is nice having another owner nearby so that we can compare modifications. I realize Dan's lowering mod has not been fully tested just yet, but setting on my stock RSTD my heals are at least two inches off of the floor. Setting on Dan's RSTD that is lowered in the rear, my feet were flat on the floor. That felt nice!!! Everywhere we measured from indicated the rear was about 1 1/4 inch lower than before. Easier to get on and off. Kickstand seemed to be just fine. I sure enjoy the input from all of the other members that have shared RSTD modifications. Thanks guys.:)

While most people want to raise the rear end of their bikes, to ...level...it out, I have to agree that when I lowered the rear end of my '06 RSMTD, it felt a lot better. In stock "seat" mode, there was not reaslly a problem. But I had a Russell Day-Long saddle made for me, and the Russell seat adds almost 2 inches to the height of a stock seat. Once the Russell seat was on, it was unpleasant to stop...so I just kept riding forever, never putting my feet down:rotf:.

Finally, I too added the Baron's lowering kit, got it from a fellow member of this forum, and I like what it did to the bike. I did relacate the rear brake caliper, no problem there.

Once I put a LOT more miles on this change-over...I may in fact lower the front end...but at this moment, I am happy with how it rides.

:backinmyday:

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the most of this weekend converting Dan's enclosed V nose enclosed "Hot Air Balloon" trailer into a bike hauler. While doing so I had to make a run to the hardware store for more bolts. I jumped on his lowered RSTD and made an in town run. I was really impressed with how the lowered rear RSTD handled. I liked the feeling of being more flat footed. Slow speed friction zone turns were no problem. I am impressed so far. :)

• 4 weeks later...