IGNORED

somebody shoot me .....

barend

I've been waiting and hoping i could retrieve some information of my crashed hard drive, it would have been nice anyway since the back up got chewed up as well... But, alas, no such luck so i'm getting ready to bite the bullet and start entering two months worth of stuff into my old 'puter. First though I wanted to upgrade my virus protection which meant removing Norton and installing something better. Great idea!! One problem, it calls for a re-start, 'xcept it didn't:doh:. So of to the puter guru, I get there and discover my 2 wheel wheelbarrow is gone from the truck, i suppose it fell off on the way over there:confused07::confused07::confused07::confused07:, but if'n it did, I sure didn't notice and I didn't see it on the side of the road going home. Then I learn the second hard drive has gone to h3ll:bang head::bang head::bang head: The puter guy said he thinks that he will be able to retrieve info from this one though:o

Somebody shoot me!!

I get there and discover my 2 wheel wheelbarrow is gone from the truck,

Saw a Harley tie it to the back. Was using it to pick up parts.:rotfl::rotfl: I know, I know, I'm bad.:buttkick: Just couldn't help myself.:rotfl::rotfl::D

Two things you might try, both are LONG shots Oops there's pun there...

Try running SpinRight on both drives. It sometimes will recover the bad spots, so you can at least get the data off.

and second and a REALLY long shot is to put the hard drive in a quart zip lock bag and put in in your freezer for a couple of days. Have your computer ready so that when you take the HD out of the freezer you can IMMEDIATELY install it in the PC and turn it on...

Good Luck!!!

If you left a wheelbarrow in the back of your truck in such a way that it could fall out -- such as leaving the tailgate down -- then you better delete this thread. If the surviving family of the guy who was riding his motorcycle behind you find out that you wrote this, then someone might indeed shoot you.

If you left a wheelbarrow in the back of your truck in such a way that it could fall out -- such as leaving the tailgate down -- then you better delete this thread. If the surviving family of the guy who was riding his motorcycle behind you find out that you wrote this, then someone might indeed shoot you.

Valid argument! I've been fortunate to have had very few mishaps in my job, and Lady Luck has been on my side those few times. Yes, there is always a first, things you have done many times before without incident suddenly have a different result. I've had a wheelbarrow in the back of the truck against the cab many times in the past twenty some years, without it moving in such a way that it would or could fall off. Apparently today was different for some reason, I do not know why, if it was the rain, maybe wind direction, whatever; but it does show that one should not let his/her guard down. Your statement makes me grateful that traffic was light, that it was raining to repel motorcyclists and that my guardian angel was watching out for me. I'm not sure he/she needed to give my barrow to someone else, but hey, guess they needed it more.

I see you're close to me, let me know if you find it, save me a hundred bucks.:8:

Had a trailer with telephone poles vanish off back of truck once!!! Talk about nerves! Went back and found it about 1/2 mile back it was stuck tongue first in a big pile of dirt in front of a new house under construction. Guy working in house said " I figured you would be back for that."

Two things you might try, both are LONG shots Oops there's pun there...

Try running SpinRight on both drives. It sometimes will recover the bad spots, so you can at least get the data off.

and second and a REALLY long shot is to put the hard drive in a quart zip lock bag and put in in your freezer for a couple of days. Have your computer ready so that when you take the HD out of the freezer you can IMMEDIATELY install it in the PC and turn it on...

Good Luck!!!

Spinrite is available from www.grc.com & here is a clip about it http://www.grc.com/sr/themovie.htm. If using it to try & recover the info, keep it down to level 2. As level 4 could push a flaky drive too far (there are warning shown on screen), I have previously done it.

:080402gudl_prv:

If you're looking for a good virus protection program, check out AVG Free. http://www.avgfree.com .

I have it for my computers. It works for XP and Vista...still trying to get it to work for Win 7. There's no need to download the one you have to pay for...just download the free one...it works like a charm and it's at a price you can't beat!

Had a trailer with telephone poles vanish off back of truck once!!! Talk about nerves! Went back and found it about 1/2 mile back it was stuck tongue first in a big pile of dirt in front of a new house under construction. Guy working in house said " I figured you would be back for that."
Been there when I first started, except I had the trailer pass me heading for a house; weird feeling!!!, It was stopped by a line of trees. Took one (6 inch) out; ten seconds earlier it might have gone down the wrong side of a four lane during morning rush:doh:

If you're looking for a good virus protection program, check out AVG Free. www.avgfree.com .

I have it for my computers. It works for XP and Vista...still trying to get it to work for Win 7. There's no need to download the one you have to pay for...just download the free one...it works like a charm and it's at a price you can't beat!

Might try that on my (wife's) desktop. I'm a bit gunshy :hihi::8: about uninstalling Norton from it though.

Edited by barend

Been there when I first started, except I had the trailer pass me heading for a house; weird feeling!!!, It was stopped by a line of trees. Took one (6 inch) out; ten seconds earlier it might have gone down the wrong side of a four lane during morning rush:doh:

Might try that on my (wife's) desktop. I'm a bit gunshy :hihi::8: about uninstalling Norton from it though.

I've got AVG free on all of my computers and wouldn't hesitate to remove Norton and install AVG. You need to go to Norton's website and get their removal tool though to completely remove it. AVG is a better product than Norton.

Guest human4m

I'm definitely a fan of AVG, especially since it runs great on Win7 now. Another good one is Avira. It has a cheesy GUI, but it works! Norton AV 2009 is the only version of Norton that I've ever seen worth a hoot, (but not $39 a year)

I normally have good results with "Recover It All" but it's slow, tedious, and often will recover stuff you deleted a LONG time ago.

I've been in I.T. for 11 years now... I see a lot of Fly-By-Night products, and every once in a while I come into something really good! If ya' need any other IT input, let me know.

When you get things up and running again you can try this:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642

Simply buy a drive and plug it in like an old 8 track. Backup your data and remove the drive and store it safely.

Runs either USB2 or esata interface. Very handy device!

There's also a program called ShadowProtect. It will image a drive very quickly and restore just as quick.

I've used it when toying with the pc if I know I might be in danger of doing something bad. Saved my A$$ a couple times.

Fantastic software. If combined with the BlacX it's almost full proof!

Guest human4m
When you get things up and running again you can try this:

http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?S=1268&ID=1642

Simply buy a drive and plug it in like an old 8 track. Backup your data and remove the drive and store it safely.

Runs either USB2 or esata interface. Very handy device!

There's also a program called ShadowProtect. It will image a drive very quickly and restore just as quick.

I've used it when toying with the pc if I know I might be in danger of doing something bad. Saved my A$$ a couple times.

Fantastic software. If combined with the BlacX it's almost full proof!

Unless his drive is IDE- I didn't think the BlacX 28USU supported IDE.