IGNORED

mobil one 4t racing

footsie

Changed the oil in my 04 today, it had reg oil that the guy I bought it from had put it. but this is only it third oil change. It did have a very low chirp to it.

I changed to the mobil one racing oil and after about 10 miles, no more chirp, no whine just a perfectly quiet bike. Well except for the mufflers I modified.

Mobil One 4T racing 10-40

Gregg:missingtooth:

Edited by footsie
added info

can you be more specific on this oil ? is it called "4T Racing" or? ... is it synthetic or ? What weight did you use ?

I found this on the Mobil website...

"Are Mobil 1 Racing oils compatible with a wet clutch engine?spacer.gifThese oils are not recommended for wet clutch applications due to their high level of molybdenum."

I do not know what he used, but I believe that the only "Motorcycle 4t Racing oil" made by Mobil 1 is fully synthetic 10w-40 (According to the Mobil 1 website)

Do note that there is the Motorcycle Racing Oil AND a different categoryof Mobile 1 Racing Oils (not specifically for motorcycles).

Oh, I looked at a jug of this stuff when I was at Wal-mart a few days ago, it says specifically on the back (assuming I remember this correctly) "for motorcycles, blah blah blah, specifically designed for use with a wet clutch..."

Edited by LilBeaver

I also found this on their site...

so there is a difference between "racing oil" and "4T Racing"

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40.

I do not know what he used, but I believe that the only "Motorcycle 4t Racing oil" made by Mobil 1 is fully synthetic 20w-50 (According to the Mobil 1 website)

Oh, I looked at a jug of this stuff when I was at Wal-mart a few days ago, it says specifically on the back (assuming I remember this correctly) "for motorcycles, blah blah blah, specifically designed for use with a wet clutch..."

WalMart has the "Racing 4T" Mobil 1 oil??? hmmmmmmmmm

EDIT: yep, I found it on their website! They refer to it as "Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40 "

Edited by SilvrT

The one by me does... They also carry the Mobil 1 V-twin motorcycle oil (which is the 20W-50)

From a lot of the things I've read and seen, I figgure you guys in the US have a much bigger Walmart that offers a lot more than what we do up here in CanNuhDuh .. eh

I'm gonna check our local Walmart this week for that oil.

Great stuff - it's all I use and I highly recommend it. Here are the details...

https://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil1_Racing_4T_10W-40.aspx

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 is recommended for four-cycle motorcycles which specify the use of a 10W-40 engine oil. It provides excellent performance in motorcycle engines that are designed with a common engine/transmission lubrication system or where the engine lubrication system is separate from the transmission system. In the case of the latter, follow the manufacturer's recommendation for the type of fluid to be used in the transmission. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 engine oil is also designed to provide the proper frictional characteristics necessary for wet-clutch engine/transmission systems. Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 exceeds the requirements of API Service Categories SH, SG/CF, CD, JASO MA and has been fully tested, both on laboratory dynamometers and in the field, to provide optimum horsepower and acceleration.

Fully synthetic Mobil 1 motorcycle oils are specifically engineered for use in motorcycles. The formulations are based on the proven technology used in other Mobil 1 automotive products, yet they are optimized for the unique requirements of a motorcycle engine and/or transmission. You can use them with confidence, knowing they will protect your bike in extreme situations where conventional motor oils simply cannot compare, including extended high-speed operation and prolonged idling in summertime traffic.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10W-40 was previously known as Mobil 1 MX4T 10W-40.

IT is fully synthetic and wallmart in tifton Ga, is where I got it.

But I got the info from someone else on this site, in another post, in the second generation tech talk. I will try to find it, and post it in this thread.

However so far I like it, 500 miles since change so far so good.

4T racing 10-40

freedom of the road for all

Gregg

Edited by footsie
added info

It is hit and miss at Walmarts near me. A few have it but many don't. Some have a little section dedicated to motorcycle items and that is usually where you find it, not with the other oils. Some Walmarts around here don't even have a motorcycle section though.

Mobile1 MX 4T is what Triumph recommends for their motorcycles.

I found it once at the local Walmart. I talked to the Walmart employee in the automotive section and he said he would order it for me if I wanted it, but that he didn't usually stock it.

Changed the oil in my 04 today, it had reg oil that the guy I bought it from had put it. but this is only it third oil change.

Gregg:missingtooth:

An 04 with only three oil changes??? Another extreme case of heinous motorcycle abuse!!!!!! I'm glad you rescued that bike from the monster, and I hope you treat it better! I also hope he didn't ruin it for you.

Goose

Got some Mobile1 MX 4T 10w40 after work today at Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire) and changed out the oil & filter. It was due anyway.

Let us know how it goes - I know you mentioned that with your basket change you got more noise; I am curious if you will notice a difference with the new oil.

What oil were you running before?

Let us know how it goes - I know you mentioned that with your basket change you got more noise; I am curious if you will notice a difference with the new oil.

What oil were you running before?

Went out for about 15 min after the oil change... did not notice any difference. I was running Rotella T dino oil 15w40.

Thanks for the update. I know that some members have said that oil doesn't make a difference then we have others that say they change their oil and they notice a huge difference (ie the starter of this particular thread) so I was curious.

Hope all is well up there in Vancouver :happy34:

Thanks for the update. I know that some members have said that oil doesn't make a difference then we have others that say they change their oil and they notice a huge difference (ie the starter of this particular thread) so I was curious.

Hope all is well up there in Vancouver :happy34:

All would be a lot "weller" if I didn't have to work and could be out ridin LOL

Just a dumb thought I had but, I'm curious if a used basket out of a wrecked scoot might work? I wonder if the basket is the same from a 1st gen?

In any event, I'm takin her back and getting the original basket put back in ... dealer is only gonna charge me $50. any more than that and I'd do it myself but for that price, it's worth saving me the hassle.

Dealer name is GA Checkpoint Yamaha ... they seem to be real good folks ... the service mgr has been there 29 years ... real nice guy to deal with.

The first gen baskets don't even look the same as the basket for the 2nd gen :(.

I had wondered about that myself so I went looking. Saw some pretty good pix on ebay, they are different.

Also wondered the same thing about trying one out of a wreck. Actually found one out of a 2005.....but wasn't going to pay the $140 that they wanted for it!

Hey! I have an idea.....I'll send you my chirping basket and you send me yours! Maybe we'll get lucky!!!:hurts:

Joe

Just a thought !

What about getting a used 2nd gen basket and taking it to a machine shop and having the gear teeth polished. Or just take off the sharp edge of the teeth.

Wonder if anyone has tried this ?

BTW I'm using Yamaha Lube semi syn 20-50 and not much of a difference when it gets hot with the whine.

you all should appreciate that minor little chirp. you shoild here my v-star 1300 sounds like the primary gears are dry. and then there is the wind down belt howl. i got rid of the noise for awhile with a vance and hines 2 into one. well i like the grind better than the mufflers and put the oem pipe back on. oh i am using that nasty energy conserving mobil1 13w-30 in it could that be the problem? not on your life. i use it in everything i own, just cuz i'm not supposed to. not to mention it happens to be as good an oil as can be bought. these oil controversies go on and on and we have so many oil experts that don't have a clue. i really like to sit back and listen to them. i really do love my v-star. thought about swapping it for a new nomad but i just cna't get away from the sportbike type handling. a highly recommended bike if you want a v-twin. :stirthepot: :2133:

you all should appreciate that minor little chirp. you shoild here my v-star 1300 sounds like the primary gears are dry. and then there is the wind down belt howl. i got rid of the noise for awhile with a vance and hines 2 into one. well i like the grind better than the mufflers and put the oem pipe back on. oh i am using that nasty energy conserving mobil1 13w-30 in it could that be the problem? not on your life. i use it in everything i own, just cuz i'm not supposed to. not to mention it happens to be as good an oil as can be bought. these oil controversies go on and on and we have so many oil experts that don't have a clue. i really like to sit back and listen to them. i really do love my v-star. thought about swapping it for a new nomad but i just cna't get away from the sportbike type handling. a highly recommended bike if you want a v-twin. :stirthepot: :2133:

Next time we're together we'll have to compare noises, Bill. I'm betting yours isn't as annoying as mine.

Hey....mine's bigger than yours!!!!

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::banana:

Maybe the basket swap will somehow magically make you more appealing!!!

:banana::banana::hihi::hihi:

nahhhhhhhhhh ... you can't improve on perfection! :rasberry: :rasberry:

ummm weren't we talking about bikes? somehow this has taken a side-turn :sign20: