IGNORED

Wondering about a gauge package.

I stopped at the Herley dealer in Lawton this weekend. Wanted to check on a hand pump for my shock. But never did. they kept trying to sell me a new ultra. Got me to wondering about gauges tho. Has anyone or does any one know of a gauge package that works good with our ventures. I was thinking about removing the useless tape deck and trying to fit up some mini analog gauges in there. Temp, oil p, oil temp, and volt meter. Fishing for thoughts. Oh by the way it was 80 here on Saturday. Today we got freezin rain. Had to drive the pickup:cry:

I've never heard one yet from the gurus. If it is available, I may start saving my $'s for a nice mod.

I rode to work today for a nice 25 mile commute one way. Tomorrow will be just what you are getting right now - freezing rain. :Bunny2:

I have added full gauges to two different RSVs; it's not too hard, but you do need to get creative on where/how to mount them. There is a very detailed write-up from me on gauges in the tech library.

Here are a couple of pictures:

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/V7Goose/Gaugesfront3.jpg http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b289/V7Goose/2007RSVForSale9.jpg

Goose

Normal operating temp stays around 210 degrees (f), and even in the hottest conditions, the fan keeps it from ever getting over 235. In the summer time the engine temps begin to rise above 210 almost instantly when you stop at a light, but they fall just as fast as soon as you start moving again. If you idle long enough for the fan to come on, it keeps the temp between 220 and 230.

Oil pressure, with the engine at full operating temp, generally stays around 25 lbs at normal highway RPMs, but drops to around 5 - 7 lbs at idle. Idle oil pressure is the biggest reason to make sure your idle speed it set correctly. I would prefer to set idle closer to 650 RPM - the engine just sounds better there. But I suspect the oil pressure is insufficient at that low a speed, so I keep it at 950 - 1000 as the book calls for.

The manual specifies 50 lbs pressure at 5,000 RPM, and my bikes have always met that when hot.

Goose

I ride year-around, often in cold temps. Before I retired I rode the bike to work every single day, no matter what the weather. We don't have all that many days below 30 here in Texas, but enough. The RSV actually runs a bit warmer with it is really cold than it does when it is hot - I attribute this to the thermostat staying closed more.

Goose

to make some $. It certainly appears there might be a market for someone who could figure out how to market these gauges in discussion. It appears the biggest obstacle is mounting them in a fashionable manner in a limited space. I wish I were more mechanically inclined...I would jump on it.

With over 6,000 members, I gotta believe that someone is capable of doing this...I know I would place an order.

Edited by Aimhigh
added second para

One of the biggest problems is getting gauges some enough at a resonable price. As some of you have noted.

I mounted a volt meter on the left handle bar and a tach on the right handle bar using a Arlen Ness bullet cup and a Kuryakyn "P" clamp. Had a oil gauge on the right side once but took it off as the tach to me is more useful.

Larry

to make some $. It certainly appears there might be a market for someone who could figure out how to market these gauges in discussion. It appears the biggest obstacle is mounting them in a fashionable manner in a limited space. I wish I were more mechanically inclined...I would jump on it.

With over 6,000 members, I gotta believe that someone is capable of doing this...I know I would place an order.

I have not thought about doing this before, nor have I actually checked prices, but I make an offer here, pending verification of my costs before I lock in with anyone:

I could make up a set of oil pressure and water temp gauges to mount up on the handlebars under the fairing as shown on my 07 here:

[ATTACH]25188[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25189[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25190[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25191[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25192[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]25193[/ATTACH]

I would fabricate the mounting cans, brackets, sending units - everything needed to just bolt them on. I suspect the cost would be about $125. I could add the matching white volt meter in a separate can for probably another $25 (but I prefer a digital volt meter). The tach on the other side would be about $150. An ammeter is a little more trouble, so that might be $50 just by itself, depending on the specific gauge you want. I can get the small gauges in either black or white faces EXCEPT an ammeter - I can only find one of those smaller than 2" in black.

I could also do them like I did on my 05 (but I think the under-dash look is a bit nicer):

[ATTACH]25194[/ATTACH]

Let me know if anyone is interested and we can talk about the options so I can check exact prices.

Goose

Looks good Goose. I would like a closer look, by chance will you be at either of the two PGR missions this week, one this PM and one Fri AM here in N Texas? The one this afternoon is at DFW Cem. Tomorrow starts in Hurst to DFW and back to Hurst. As of now I plan to attend both. But as allways got to staySEmper Gumby.