IGNORED

Virago Starter Question

5bikes

Friends got a 92 Virago 1100. It has the updated starter assembly but still has a problem.

It does not have the 2 spring clips that fail regularly.

The starter intermediate gears that are on a spiral between the flywheel and motor do not return to the home position. These gears are on a pivot with a spring. Please tell me it is not the starter clutch that it $227!!! Any suggestions?

Greetings.

Had a Virago 1100 1998 for one season and loved the bike. Will always regret selling it but could not in any way convince the warden that it was O.K. to have two bikes in the same garage. Sold it to a good friend of mine and still get to take it for a spin every now and then. Before I bought the bike I did a thorough research on the good and bads of the Virago through the production years of 1990 to 1999. The only bad thing I could read about in general was the starter. Almost every Virago thread where the issue was "problems" mentioned the faulty starter. After talking to numerous Virago owners I found out that Yamaha promised every year that the starter problem had been fixed but majority of the experts (in USA and Britain) said it was finally in the production year of 1997 that the Virago had a solid, reliable starter. Don´t think I ever investigated what it was that they changed or if they redesigned the starter. I do know that the starter in my 1998 is still in top shape but the bike still only has about 4.500 miles on it. I will try to look up some of the threads I was reading and forward the links to you if you like.