My bike decided not to start after getting gas the other day. I thought it might be the battery because its not exactly new. I had the battery tested they said it was ok so I checked the voltage with the bike at 2000-4000 rpm and it was 13.4 V DC the book says it should be 14-15 V. Is that right seems a little high to me. So you fine folks think the stators going? I have not checked the resistance yet or the AC voltage.

Hey Jimbob,

I'm probably the last guy in the world to be giving you advise on the electrical system of a VR (being electrically retarded) :doh:but my 87'VR puts out a solid 15 volts at anything over 2500 RPMs. Have a look at the big connector on the left side of the bike by the gas tank, a good cleaning and dielectric greasing of that plug may help. (it did for me) Also check that plug for melting, overheating. A lot of the members have taken that connection completely out of the circuit. The regulator/ rectifier is another area to check. Below is a very interesting link to the install of the Buckeye Performance high output stator, just in case it turns out to be the stator. There is some good information about that plug I was talking about turning into a "heating element" from high resistance from Squeeze. Check it out.

[ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=301579#post301579]buckeye stator install - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

Let us know what you find out, and good luck on your quest for more power!:thumbsup2:

Earl

Edited by skydoc_17
MY BAD! SORRY FOR THE BAD LINK!

Here's the working Link from Skydoc's Posting ... [ame=http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?p=301579#post301579]buckeye stator install - VentureRider.Org[/ame]

This could be a Number of Things. I suspect the Battery always as first, then check the AC Voltages and clean and inspect the 3-Wire Connector while, because it isn't wrong under all all Circumstances and costs nothing except of ten Minutes. Also, Regulator/Rectifier isn't out of Question on all Bikes of this Age.

13.4 Volts DC isn't overwhelming, but should be good enough to recharge the Battery on a longer Ride (20 to 30 Minutes), even when all Lights are on.

Edited by Squeeze

I'd agree with all that Earl posted. Check that 3-wire plug first, then the recifier. I wouldn't think it's the stator because of the bikes age, and ruining cooler than the early 1200cc's. Resistense will cause the voltage to be reduced. My '83 and '91 both put out about 14.2vdc.

If it turns out to be the stator is the High Output. stator going to harm the wiring? Is the current wiring able to handle it? Might as do one of those Indian regulators also. I did smell some electrical burning type smell the other day but I didnt investigate it. Looks like I should. Now something else I had changed was the right handle with the switches and since then it has not started reliably. I was cleaning the contacts because my cruise control is not working and ended up breaking the cruise off switch. So I bought another right handle and since installation I will press the start button and get nothing the light will dim but starter does not kick over. I have to press it multiple times to get it to kick over. I remember something about a small wire in the starter that needs to be replaced and cleaning the contacts in the starter.

Edited by CrazyHorse

If it turns out to be the stator is the High Output. stator going to harm the wiring? Is the current wiring able to handle it?

I was cleaning the contacts because my cruise control is not working and ended up breaking the cruise off switch. So I bought another right handle and since installation I will press the start button and get nothing the light will dim but starter does not kick over. I have to press it multiple times to get it to kick over.

Stock wiring will handle it, but make sure the connectors are clean.

Maybe transplant the cruise switch back to your previously installed right side switch assy & put that back in. As it looks like, all the contacts in the current one, needs to be cleaned.

:2cents:

Stock wiring will handle it, but make sure the connectors are clean.

Maybe transplant the cruise switch back to your previously installed right side switch assy & put that back in. As it looks like, all the contacts in the current one, needs to be cleaned.

:2cents:

I was afraid of that it doesnt come apart to easy.

Stator resistance around .4 ohms on all 3 wires. AC voltage, Now I may have a made a mistake doing this I disconnected the stator from the recitfier and read the voltages which were all around 69 volts AC. Hope this doesnt ruin the stator. Now charging voltage has reached anywhere from 13.4-13.7 volts. 3 of the cells of my battery were low on water. Road it the am for an hour seems ok Think I'm gonna replace the analog voltmeter cant really tell what the voltage is with that. I guess I want it to be a little more precise.