IGNORED

Rear end maintenance

HA! GOTCHA!

Just took the subframe off for the install of a Progressive rear shock (Thanks to Rick Butler!). Thought I would try and save some time since I have the chrome bumper and trailer hitch on there and take off the rear subframe as a unit. Easy to do! Also going to help when I get that MKII package I bought last year set up to switch out to when we want the bigger bags on for the weekend trips.

1) Remove bags and seat (Oh sorry, easy for the MKI guys!)

2) Remove electrical connectors, radio/CB cables

3) REMOVE THE GAS TANK BOLT! (Don't ask!)

4) Remove mufflers (you'll have to to remove rear axle)

5) Loosen upper bolts but don't remove yet

6) Remove the lower nuts off of the bolts

7) Have helper pick up weight and then you remove the lower bolts then the upper bolts

8) Carefully remove the unit

Reverse above to reinstall

I figured this saved me about 2-3 hours from having to remove everything and then re-installing after I'm done.

While I was in there I pulled the differential and driveshaft for regrease, still had some on there from 2 years ago when I rebuilt it. Pays to use the good stuff!

Hope this helps somebody out!

Hey Dan,

That's a very nice trick! Very nice description as well.

You won't know what to do with all of the extra room you will have with the MKII luggage on the back of your MKI. You would not believe how many final drives I have removed to find them "dry as a pop corn f*rt"! I believe that this is one of the best indicators of just how well a bike has been taken care of. Any one who will do this "ugly" Maint. job will not hesitate to take on most of the other regular Maint. jobs.

Good job Dan! :thumbsup2:

Earl

Nice job Dan.

I did that "subframe as a unit pull" when I removed my fuel tank to coat it. I was standing there grumbling to myself as I knew how much time it would take to pull the light bar and all the goodies.

I looked the subframe and asked myself "Why not pull these bolts instead?"

Huge time saver and a lot less parts laying around.

Every shortcut helps.

Later

Mike