IGNORED

Loctite Damage

Monty

Well, I found out today that blue Loctite eats paint, and eats plastic. I loctited the bolts on my windshield, to keep them from coming loose. I didn't think I used very much. I put everything back together, and came inside for a few hours. I just went outside, and see the damage is done. It runs all of the way down my lower. If I try to wipe it off, it just takes the paint off. The clear deflector is etched now, and will have to be replaced.

I will probably wait until winter, and then have the lowers painted, and paint the deflectors to match.

It just pi$$es me off, is all.

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Damage001.jpg

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i274/13thAFMonterey/Damage002.jpg

Loctite actually works better with a small amount rather than a lot.

I have sat through a training class given by a loctite rep.

It is an anaerobic compound, which is a fancy way of saying it cures in the absences of oxygen.

If a lot is used, it does not tend to fully cure on the non-compressed side of the threads.

We were told that a drop at the tip of a bolt is sufficient for 1/4" fasteners.

Gary

I usually put a little on the bolt threads, but this time, I just put a little shot inside each nutsert, then slid in the windshield, and put the bolts in. Apparently, I got way too much in that one hole.

Live and learn.:doh::mo money:

Monty,

Folks may laugh, but I used regular household rubberized type caulking on most everthing on the bike..You only need something that will absorb vibration...

A little rubberized caulking on the threads.. and whal al..no drips that cause damage to anything...easy to remove next time, and easy to wipe off the bolt or screw with a little WD 40 and then you are able to replace the bolt or screw after applying a little more new caulking..Just my opinion.. like ears.. everyone has at least ONE..:confused24:

Sorry for the mess your in.. You have a beautiful bike too...:thumbsup2:file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Eck/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.png

I would suggest that you re-check all those windshield bolts again. Man, I'd hate to think that you might lose that windshield on the highway someday. That's a bad situation, anyway. I feel very sorry for you!

Nemo,

They are tight. I took the fairing apart today. When I reassembled, I decided to loctite the bolts, because they have come loose a few times. I even had to replace one bolt that came out and got lost. They are tight now. I wanted to make sure, before my trip to the Hub tomorrow morning.