IGNORED

Where is the stupid fuel filter?

1sttenor

Well this morning I went to the garage and backed old reliable out. It started and ran for a few seconds and then quit as though its starved for fuel. So I decided to go to Yama and get a fuel filter. Got home and jacked it up and I can't even see it. Help!

Now if you had bought a 1st Gen all you would have to do is remove rear wheel for easy access. Why can't they make things like this a little simpler??? So Stealers can charge big bucks for it??

Hey Dan,

On my 90 I changed the fuel filter without removing anything. It was a lot easier than what the 2nd gen will be.

Hey Dan,

On my 90 I changed the fuel filter without removing anything. It was a lot easier than what the 2nd gen will be.

Yeah it can be done but it is tight fit. Best to change it when you change tire. My rear tires don't last very long so it works out pretty good for me.

No need to remove the battery, just the three battery covers. The fuel filter is located behind the fuel pump, mounted vertically in front of the battery box. Many members here have howled loudly about how hard it was to change, but I didn't find it particularly difficult at all. The rubber holder slips loose quite easily. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

No need to remove the battery, just the three battery covers. The fuel filter is located behind the fuel pump, mounted vertically in front of the battery box. Many members here have howled loudly about how hard it was to change, but I didn't find it particularly difficult at all. The rubber holder slips loose quite easily. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Goose you are right. Once I found it, no problem really. Unfortunately, I didn't wait to read your post, but I did get to know her better. Problem is its still not wanting to start. Fuel pump is working, new fuel filter and yes I recheck to make sure I did have it flowing backward. I had already ordered new plugs last week to do a tuneup before a trip to CO, so I'll do that if that doesn't do it...to the stealer.

First, check the " On - Off " contacts of the Ignition Switch-- They are known to fail -- ( High failure rate ) Follow cable from Ignition Switch, to a Plug, Open plug, use ohm meter to make sure that set of contacts is showing zero ohms, with switch in the " ON " position.

Next. pull couple of plug wires, install a test spark plug, to frame, and see if you are getting any sparking.

Plugs, might be fouled-- If so, pull out all 4 and see what they look like.

Untill you get it running, best RE-Charge the battery, with a Battery charger, then keep your trickle charger hooked up.

By now, your battery is most likley in a very low state of charge, do to all the failed starting attempts !!!

( Use a REAL battery Charger ) not just a trickle charger.

Goose

So, how do you loosen it? There is a relay hanging from the rubber holder, and that is easy to push up and off.

Then what?

So, how do you loosen it? There is a relay hanging from the rubber holder, and that is easy to push up and off.

Then what?

It has been a while since I changed mine, so just going from memory here, but the filter is also in a rubber holder that just has a little slit in it that slips over a metal tab. You just pull it up and it pops right off, take the fuel line off the filter and slip it out of the rubber holder. I don't want to make too light of this -the space IS tight, but I'm a big guy with huge hands (hard to find gloves big enough), and I really didn't have a tough time. Some people say it helps to unbolt the fuel pump, but I don't think I even needed to do that. Can't tell you much more about it here, bu ride that thing on up to Fort Worth and I'll be happy to help you change it before we go out for a ride! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

It has been a while since I changed mine, so just going from memory here, but the filter is also in a rubber holder that just has a little slit in it that slips over a metal tab. You just pull it up and it pops right off, take the fuel line off the filter and slip it out of the rubber holder. I don't want to make too light of this -the space IS tight, but I'm a big guy with huge hands (hard to find gloves big enough), and I really didn't have a tough time. Some people say it helps to unbolt the fuel pump, but I don't think I even needed to do that. Can't tell you much more about it here, bu ride that thing on up to Fort Worth and I'll be happy to help you change it before we go out for a ride! :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Thanks for the help! Here's what I ended up doing:

1. Removed the two side electrical covers.

2. With them removed, I removed the center electrical cover. There are two wires clipped to it.

Those three covers were all that needs being removed.

3. I unbolted the fuel pump on the left side in front of the fuse box. That gave me slack in the fuel line.

4. Lifted the relay up and off the fuel filter bracket

5. Slid the filter towards me off the bracket.

6. Unclipped the fuel lines from both sides. (Note that I turned the fuel selector to off)

7. Slide the rubber gasket off the fuel filter

8, etc. reversed all the above to install the new fuel filter. The hardest part was getting the filter to hang off the bracket. It is a bit congested in there.

Thanks again for the help. I owe my wife's family a visit in south Dallas. We'll get the ride in then. :)

Dave

• 7 months later...

1) Removed two side panels and middle panel (some calll these battery panels). Middle panel requires removal of two spark plug wires from keeper. Be patient getting this panel out and putting back in place.

2) Using needle nose pliers, moved spring clamp from top of fuel filter.

3) Pushed filter down through rubber sleeve.

4) Removed bottom clamp and re-fitted new filter to bottom hose.

5) Applied a little soapy water to rubber sleeve before pushing filter back through.

6) Re-fitted top clamp, started bike to check for any leak.

Took more time removing panels than changing filter. Hope this helps somebody.

P.S.: I cut open old filter and it was very clean after nearly 17000 miles.

The only thing I do different is #3. The rubber sleeve slides on a metal tab, just slide the sleeve of the metal tab. Then it is much easier to remove the hoses and sleeve from the old filter, then reverse procedure. See Ponch's pics that show the rubber sleeve with the slot for the metal tab.

1) Removed two side panels and middle panel (some calll these battery panels). Middle panel requires removal of two spark plug wires from keeper. Be patient getting this panel out and putting back in place.

2) Using needle nose pliers, moved spring clamp from top of fuel filter.

3) Pushed filter down through rubber sleeve.

4) Removed bottom clamp and re-fitted new filter to bottom hose.

5) Applied a little soapy water to rubber sleeve before pushing filter back through.

6) Re-fitted top clamp, started bike to check for any leak.

Took more time removing panels than changing filter. Hope this helps somebody.

P.S.: I cut open old filter and it was very clean after nearly 17000 miles.