IGNORED

Oil Filter study & recommendations

Gained

Ventures use a Group 5, from Don's earlier submission.

Bottom line, these were the recommended filters; the longer one fits easily on my '02 Venture; I could find the Bosch 3323:

Recommended filters.

All these have superior filtering.

These Oil Filters have 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket 2.5" to 3.5" long.

If you have the room, I recommend the longer filters.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12. (Made by Champion)
  • Bosch 3300, about $6. (Made by Champion)

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion)
  • Bosch 3323, about $6. (Made By Champion)
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. (Made by Champion)

Buy these filters

These Oil Filters have 20 x 1.5mm threads, 14 psi by-pass valve, anti-drain back valve, 2.3" O.D. gasket 2.5" to 3.5" long.

Motorcycle Filters.

None of these are recommended:

• AC Delco PF2135
  • AMSOil SMF103
  • Carquest 85358
  • FRAM PH6017A
  • Honda 15410-MCJ-000
  • K&N KN-204, about $13. Metric nut on end for easy removal.
  • NAPA Gold 1358
  • Purolator ML16817. Imported, not made by Purolator.
  • STP SMO 17
  • WIX 51358

• 1 year later...

Amsoil SMF103 is what I use on my bikes. Has superior filtration comparing to other brands, and anty-drain back valve. price is about $10.00

Yamaha sell two diferent filters for Venture , and Stratoliner. Amsoil' 103 fit rsv and Strat.

If you are going to use Amsoil motorcycle synt oil, they recomand to change filter every oil change. you can go easly 5000mil between oil changes with synt oil's. Manufactures manul said up to 8000 mil's.

If you sign as Amsoil prefered coustomer, 10 - 40 Motorcycle Sint, oil is about $6.00 per qtr. Cost about $20.00 a year, but with 2 bikes, and 2 cars I'm figure out that's big savings, for one of best oil's today on market.

They Have even version of see foam, They call'em Power Foam.

What about fram ph 5343? LGR

I won't go into all the details here, but they are extremely easy to find on the web. Just do a search on Fram oil filter quality. There are a number of folks that have done tear-down and side-by-side comparisons of oil filters, both bike and car, and the Fram seems to universally be junk. They sell millions of them, and obviously most of them work, but why risk it when there are so many better options? You can do the research yourself and make an informed decision.:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

I think the rips on Fram are urban legend. My Yamaha dealership uses them and I am not sure they would if they experienced problems. The basis for the folks that rip on Fram is that the end plates are made of cardboard. Legend has it that the cardboard comes apart...lol...funny how the filters themselves are made of paper and that does not come apart. I have never met anyone who has had a problem with any oil filter in any vehicle. Everyone seems to have "heard" of problems, but no one has ever met or spoken with this person. If anyone hear has any first hand experience with oil filter problems let me know....you will be my first encounter. With that said, I use the PureOne filters...I get them pretty cheap...$4.60 locally. They are a top rated filter. I have used Fram also and have never had a problem.

I've used WIX, Purolator, JCWhitney, FRAM (Honeywell), and others; and no matter what, my oil still comes out black after 10,000 kms... so what's the big deal??

Well "black" in used oil is actually a good thing, and it is a function of the oil quality more than it is the filter. Dark oil most often indicates the oil is doing its job and holding the combustion byproducts and other microscopic impurities in suspension instead of depositing them in the engine as sludge. It is rare these days for the oil in a water cooled engine to be overheated and burnt, but if that happens, there are other indications besides the color.

I would be very worried about my oil and my engine if the oil was not coming out black after a couple of thousand miles. :080402gudl_prv:

Goose

Well RSTDin Pa I have personally had a oil filter problem. Back about 18 years ago I had a Napa filter split apart on my 1963 Rambler the car had a 196 aluminum block motor in it and the oil pump was on the outside of the engine with the filter screwed directly to the pump. The Napa store and rep tried to put the blame on me saying that I installed the filter improerly. Needless to say I will not use a Napa of wix filter again. I try to only use Motorcraft filters on my fords and Mopar filters on my daughters dodge. I use either Fram or Yamaha filters on my Ventures with no problems.

I also only use Castrol oils and replace the oil every 3000 miles no matter what.

Jeff

I would LOVE to see the Beta Ratios for the same particle size, say 2, 5 and 20 Mircons from the SAME testing lab, for ALL filters on the market that fit our engines...but sadly that is just a dream...

The Beta Ratio is one of the BEST tools for checking an oil filter.

I wonder if Consumer reports has done this testing.........

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000GIVEII/ref=ord_cart_shr/103-8067190-7744663?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance]Amazon.com: Purolator PL14610 PureONE Oil Filter (Pack of 2): Automotive[/ame]

2 purolater pl14610 filters for 5.88

Here's another web site where they have cut open several filters. It's a site that's been around a while, but still has some good information.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterStudy.html

As for the Wal-Mart filter 7317. I had head that someone besides Champion was making their filters. So I went to a Wal-Mart and had them pull it up on their computer as to who was there supplier and it still shows Champion. I did see this on their computer screen myself. I have been using this filter since I heard of it on this site with no problems. I believe I paid around $2.67 for the last one. Where as the same one in Fram was around $5 or $6 if I remember correctly.

Charles

• 8 months later...

I'm not sure how I even found the page (didn't save it either, duh), but someone had done their own filter study, had pictures, comments, etc. But anyways, he was very high on the K & N filter, said it was his new filter. Besides the fact that it was a nice filter, I think he liked the nut on the end, for easy removal. The Amsoil, Emgo were also very high in his ratings too. I use the Emgo, mainly because that's what is stocked at my supplier. Although I won't be buying from them anymore, found them online for about $4-$5 less. Maybe it's over kill, but I change my oil right around the 3k range, just habit from my car maintenance.

Amsoil SMF103 is what I use on my bikes. Has superior filtration comparing to other brands, and anty-drain back valve. price is about $10.00

I've been using Amsoil since my first oil change at ~3000 miles. (This is after the dealer's 600-mile oil change.) And I've been using the Amsoil filter since they became available. I change the oil and filter every 8k miles, or 1 year, and my '00 RSV now has 100k miles on it. I used to have an oil analysis done on the oil every other oil change, but stopped because the analysis always came back good and recommended continued service on the oil I had just drained out. :)

Everyone has their opinion on oil and filters (and many other things ), and since I have successfully used Amsoil products in all my vehicles/engine-driven appliances for about 16 years, I will not change my opinion. [LOL]

I have a friend who swears by the Amsoil too. I suppose in the long run, as long as you're changing it and the filter on a regular basis, you're probably good to go, regardless of what you use. I've heard the bad rap on Fram also, but I supoose if they're still on the market, they gotta be doing something right.

Ventures use a Group 5, from Don's earlier submission.

Bottom line, these were the recommended filters; the longer one fits easily on my '02 Venture; I could find the Bosch 3323:

Recommended filters.

All these have superior filtering.

About 2.5 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14612, about $6.
  • Mobil M1-108, about $12. (Made by Champion)
  • Bosch 3300, about $6. (Made by Champion)

About 3.25 inches long.

• Purolator Pure One PL14610, about $6.
  • Mobil 1 M1-110, about $10. Made by Champion)
  • Bosch 3323, about $6. (Made By Champion)
  • WalMart SuperTech ST7317, about $2. (Made by Champion)

Buy these filters

Wanting to get away from the Yamaha filters I went to Autozone today and picked up a Purolator Pure One PL14610 for $5.88. When I got home I decided to check the Purolator web site and their application guide calls for am ML16819 filter for the Venture. Does anyone know how this differs from the PL14610.

DT

Wanting to get away from the Yamaha filters I went to Autozone today and picked up a Purolator Pure One PL14610 for $5.88. When I got home I decided to check the Purolator web site and their application guide calls for am ML16819 filter for the Venture. Does anyone know how this differs from the PL14610.

DT

Ive been using the PL14610 for over a year now and a half a dozen or so oil changes, I also used it on my Roadstar. Works fine for me.