IGNORED

Shaffed wire

Bert2006

I have wire that got shaffed with about 1\4 inch of it being bare. Asside from taping it with electrical tape or cutting and splicing it, are there other way's to repair. Its in the neck area of the front forks so i want to keep it as skinny as possible. Thanks:confused24::canada:

This is the stuff I use for almost anything. Stretch it, tape it, leave it and the only way to undo it is to cut it off. Doesn't look cheap, but a little goes a long way. There is a roll in the car, truck, bike, tool box and a spare in-case I run out.http://images.lowes.com/product/converted/062093/062093860015lg.jpg

Did you locate the reason it got chaffed? I will use a piece of vacuum hose or whatever size hose I need, split it and wrap around the affected wire or wires. Heat shrink is the option but you would have to cut the wire and solder it. And I know how hard it is to work up in that area. I pinched my passing lights wires in the travel stop and created a mess.

Absolutely find the cause of the chaffing... Then re-route the wire to avoid any occurrence in the future..

Is it on the right side and being pinched when the handle bars are turned as far to the right as possible? If so, I have seen this same issue before and in fact fixed a pinched wire in this location at one of the Vogel rallies years ago. My 05 had a pinched wire also in same area.

''Did you locate the reason it got chaffed?''

Yes, it got pinched in the travel stop on the left side and it is one of the wires for the driving lamps:mad:

Lucky I caught it in time as the damage is only in the missing plastic coating. I will be relocating it when I split the fairing to finish my overall LED lamps / switch / relay install this weekend (weather permitting :snow2:).

Thanks for the suggestions all, :thumbsup:

''Did you locate the reason it got chaffed?''

Yes, it got pinched in the travel stop on the left side and it is one of the wires for the driving lamps:mad:

In all the cases that I fixed , was exactly the same reason you have.. wire was being pinched in the travel stop.

1st, apply liquid rubber or electrical tape to damaged area of wire insulation.

Next, using ty-warps, pull the wire snuggly back up into bundle of wires that it is associated with so that it does not stick out all by itself.

Add a ty-wrap (or two) to pull the bundle up and out of the way of the travel stop.

I have heard way to many times about wires getting caught there. Mine included. Only I did not catch mine in time. Turned once and poof blew fuses, no lights. Looked like a pair of scissors had been taken to the wires.

I have heard way to many times about wires getting caught there. Mine included. Only I did not catch mine in time. Turned once and poof blew fuses, no lights. Looked like a pair of scissors had been taken to the wires.

This is a common occurrence on the RSV...

Everyone who owns one should turn their handle bars all the way to the LEFT and inspect the right side to see if this wire is getting pinched before they are broke down on the road, or cause a fire..

If I had my RSV, I would go take a photo and post it here so others can see exactly where it is.

Bert2006,

can you take a photo of yours before you fix it and post it here so others can see the location and which wire is being pinched?

This is a common occurrence on the RSV...

Everyone who owns one should turn their handle bars all the way to the LEFT and inspect the right side to see if this wire is getting pinched before they are broke down on the road, or cause a fire..

If I had my RSV, I would go take a photo and post it here so others can see exactly where it is.

Bert2006,

can you take a photo of yours before you fix it and post it here so others can see the location and which wire is being pinched?

Will do, but it will be on the weekend. Mine was on the left side though:confused24:

:canada:

Will do, but it will be on the weekend. Mine was on the left side though:confused24:

Bert2006,

I am now more interested for I have never seen a wire pinched on the left side neck stop...

I went back and re-read your posting and realized you did say it was on the left side.. My mistake...sorry..:whistling:

Repair however stands the same

• 2 weeks later...

Ok , got a chance to repair the wire today.

It is one of the wires that feed power to the passing lamps. When you pull the passing lamps away to split the fairing it is pulled taunt, but when you replace the lamps it seems to get loose and then it is possible for it to get pinched. Need to check it after lamps are in place to make sure it is tucked out of harms way.

Used liquid tape as suggested.

Hope this helps....one more thing to watch for.:bang head:

Edited by Bert2006

I read this yesterday and we finally have some decent weather here. I went out to the bike today after the long winter to look her over.

Small drops of coolant on the floor, look at the cylinder covers and sure enough coolant weeping out the bottom right. Looks like I have to change out the cylinder drain plugs.

Check the wires at the steering head and the whole bundle is pinching at the stop! A black wire is cut right through. Now I have to figure out what it's for?

I got to stop reading these threads....every time I read about a problem, I go out and check to see if my bike is OK and sure enough I got something else to do!

Oh well better now than when out on the road.

I read this yesterday and we finally have some decent weather here. I went out to the bike today after the long winter to look her over.

Small drops of coolant on the floor, look at the cylinder covers and sure enough coolant weeping out the bottom right. Looks like I have to change out the cylinder drain plugs.

Check the wires at the steering head and the whole bundle is pinching at the stop! A black wire is cut right through. Now I have to figure out what it's for?

I got to stop reading these threads....every time I read about a problem, I go out and check to see if my bike is OK and sure enough I got something else to do!

Oh well better now than when out on the road.

Black wires are generally ground wires.

RandyA

• 2 months later...

This time it was the blue wire that got pinched by the right side steering stop. It was half cut, shorted and blew the headlight fuse. Had no headlight or any running lights, but the brake and signals worked. I replaced the fuse prior to fixing the wire and all worked except the front left running light in the turn signal housing. Once I actualy fixed the wire all is good again. Just cant figure out why that front running would not work the first time. Anyway, I now zipped tied the bundle of wires to keep them away from the stops. Hope this is last time I need to do this.