IGNORED

Carburetor air vent system

gernandcher

New Guy here,

I have a 1987 venture with 32,000 miles on it. I bought it used about three years ago and have had it serviced by rebuilding the carbs and replacing all the fluids. It sat for about 4 months this winter and when I started it, gas started to pour out the air vent port on the air vent control valve and also the air vent on the charcoal canister. I checked all the tubing and they are all clear. The only thing I can come up with is a bad air vent control Valve. I am looking for some advice before I remove the fairing to get to the valve. Can anyone help me?:backinmyday:

New Guy here,

I have a 1987 venture with 32,000 miles on it. I bought it used about three years ago and have had it serviced by rebuilding the carbs and replacing all the fluids. It sat for about 4 months this winter and when I started it, gas started to pour out the air vent port on the air vent control valve and also the air vent on the charcoal canister. I checked all the tubing and they are all clear. The only thing I can come up with is a bad air vent control Valve. I am looking for some advice before I remove the fairing to get to the valve. Can anyone help me?:backinmyday:

Only bikes sold in California have the air vent system. There will be few of us that have had to deal with it.

If you don't have service manual, attached are pages that deal with this system that shows how to check and troubleshoot it.

Gary

• 3 years later...

Im at work until Monday but im happy to forward you the repair manual when I get home. My bike has this system and it was sold new in South Dakota, I bought it from the shop that uncrated it decades earlier. Perhaps it was intended for CA sale. If both systems are covered in the manual we should be able to convert back to 49 state compliant systems and eliminate the problematic conponents. Im all about weeding out anything that could strand me hundreds of miles from home and hopefully help javenmcd sort his issue.

Thoughts on this?