IGNORED

Bike Didn't Crank..No Noise at All

Shot

I hopped on my 2005 Venture R/S today, put it in neutral, turned the key, flipped the switch and then hit the button to crank my bike. Nothing, nothing at all. The Sirius XM came on; the speedometer lights, etc came on but it didn't click or make any noise. I kept pushing the starter button and it finally kicked in. This happened to me about 5/6 weeks ago and now its done it again.

Any ideas???????????????

Do any dash idiot lights come on when you hit the starter button? Ordinarily there are two lights that only test when the starter is hit - can't remember for sure which two, but it is documented in the owner's manual(I think it is the bottom left and bottom right lights).

I have tested this before, and the lights you see with the kill switch off are different, so this is an easy first test to see if the starter button is actually working and the kill switch is correct. If no problem there, I'd suspect the starter relay or a bad ground.

Goose

:whistling:

Make sure the kill switch is in run before mentioning to buddies that your kike won't start.

Make sure that you are actually pressing the start button.

:whistling:

You see, I , had this friend who ran into both of these problems during his years riding.

Just checked my 07 instrument lights when starting. The oil pressure light (bottom left) and water temp. (bottom right) come on when start button is pushed. If the kill switch is on only the water temp light comes on. Thanks for the info V7Goose.:080402gudl_prv:

I just bought a 2007 rsv it acted as you described sometimes it fired right up, sometimes nothing at all.i would turn key back and fourth raise and lower kickstand and eventually it would start. I took the starter button apart cleaned the contacts put it back together, same thing, intermittent starting. I was about to work on the starter relay when I had a thought. When I bought the bike I was given 2 keys. One looked brand new the other had normal wear. I had hung the new one up in my key rack and was using the worn one. I started using the new looking key and have not had it happen since. I hope this helps. Now I know why the guy sold it so cheap lol. 2007 16000 miles $ 7000.

I've has a couple times when similar events have happened on my rides. Check the battery connections. I had one that was sensitive to damp weather, I would get lights and other light load electrical but not even a click out of the starter. A brush and tighten the connectors at the battery and I was good to go.

-JK