IGNORED

07 venture luggage rack info

hey everyone, I will be buying this 2007 yamaha royal star venture, but it doesnt come with a luggage rack, are they easy to install buy myself. also I was thinking about putting on driving lights on the front. Would they be worth the money and labor. I was thinking about getting the ones from yamaha and have dealer install the lights. Thanks

hey everyone, I will be buying this 2007 yamaha royal star venture, but it doesnt come with a luggage rack, are they easy to install buy myself. also I was thinking about putting on driving lights on the front. Would they be worth the money and labor. I was thinking about getting the ones from yamaha and have dealer install the lights. Thanks

Haven't installed a rack myself but there is a thread on doing it somewhere in the forum. The light bar is a good idea for a couple of reasons - 1) it lights up the road better at night which is always good, and 2) it makes you a little less invisible to the cagers about to turn in front of you! Unless your dealer is incredibly thorough, I would look at installing the bar yourself. Dealers never install a relay and usually stick the fuse in the fairing which means you have to pull the fairing apart to change a burned fuse. As well they usually do a poor job of tying the wires into the harness which can cause more problems later on.

Andy

I assume you are looking at getting the Yamaha rack.....not much to it.....I put down a good layer of masking tape where the legs sit a just lined it up from there - carefully. No fun taking a drill to it but take your time and it will be a breeze. I chamfered the holes after I drilled them just to be safe.

Not much to the lights either if you are willing to take the plunge. I would do some reading here about installing a relay when installing the driving lights. Takes a bit of time but not overly complicated.

Or you could track someone down in your area and bribe them with food or ice cream and I'm sure you will get offers from what I have seen .

Keith

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=73170&highlight=driving+relay

Edited by KeithR
Add Link

Splitting the fairing - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=494

Installing passing lights - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=43898

Installing the passing light spacer is a great idea otherwise any time you take the fairing apart you have to drop the passing light - http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1656

Didn't see instructions on installing the luggage rack. The Yamaha rack comes with a template to line up the holes. Scary when you have to drill but triple check your alignment and you'll do fine. If you buy a 3rd party rack, make sure you put bracing inside the trunk lid to support it (Yamaha rack comes with bracing). Also... keep in mind that you aren't supposed to carry more than 20 lbs on the rack or risk cracking the lid.

Guest tx2sturgis

I prefer the Kuryakyn Silver Bullets to the Yamaha passing lights, but its all personal choice here.

http://www.customdynamics.com/driving_lights.htm

When you install that luggage rack, be careful to line it up correctly, if its canted a bit one way or another it would be very noticeable. Measure every direction so that its straight and true.

I just put on a OEM Yamaha luggage rack today. It was taken off of my wrecked 05 so I didn't have a template to go by. No biggie there thou cause as a previous posted said cover the trunk with some wide masking tape. I took a long flexible ruler and drew a penciled line from the center of the lock up to the embossed logo on the trunks backrest. With a helper to hold the rack in position I put it where I wanted it keeping the rack centered. Then used a pencil to draw around the racks legs. Drilled a small starter hole in the center of each circle, then a large enough drill to get the spacers and bolts thu. Once the holes were drilled, I pull off the tape then I started the bolts with a couple of threads to get the rack mounted. I found only one bolt hole slightly off so had to slightly elongated that one. Snugged the bolts up a little at a time till they were all tight.

Guess I should of done a "how to" but didn't think of it at the time.

Larry

I just put on a OEM Yamaha luggage rack today. It was taken off of my wrecked 05 so I didn't have a template to go by. No biggie there thou cause as a previous posted said cover the trunk with some wide masking tape. I took a long flexible ruler and drew a penciled line from the center of the lock up to the embossed logo on the trunks backrest. With a helper to hold the rack in position I put it where I wanted it keeping the rack centered. Then used a pencil to draw around the racks legs. Drilled a small starter hole in the center of each circle, then a large enough drill to get the spacers and bolts thu. Once the holes were drilled, I pull off the tape then I started the bolts with a couple of threads to get the rack mounted. I found only one bolt hole slightly off so had to slightly elongated that one. Snugged the bolts up a little at a time till they were all tight.

Guess I should of done a "how to" but didn't think of it at the time.

Larry

Hey carbon_one is the oem luggage rack fairly big, I was looking in the accessories books for yamaha and the pic made it look kinda of small.

Get a roll of BLUE painters tape and tape the top of the trunk. Place the rack on the trunk and mark the holes.... measure everything before drilling. I used a little weather sealer around the holes to stop any water from leaking in.

Cb

So, you're going to go ahead and get the one that the farmer traded in? Good luck, I hope you have good confidence in that dealer and he has a technician capable of restoring that '07. Lots of dealerships have very little exposure to the RSV.

I have both and like them. I get alot of use out of the Yamaha rack when traveling plus I like the way it looks. I also have the Yamaha running lights and like those as well. I bought both off e-bay in the neighborhood of $100 each. Both fairly easy to install.