IGNORED

Passing Lights - On or OFF

My passing lights are set to be off with the headlight on normal. They come on with the high beam selected, which is rarely used with my driving.

Is there an easy way to change this so that the passing lights are on all the time?

Could this contribute to a charging problem?

How do most of you run them?

Thanks.

Jdix

Mines are set to be on with low beam. When I switch to high beam they are off.

That was the way that Yamaha specified on the mounting & wiring. I'm thinking on move it off the low beam, attach a multiple baron switch on top of the brake reservoir, and manage a relay to made the lights independent of the headlight position. Also, change the wire to the lights, since they looks lower intensity right now.

About charging issues, I have also an XM Radio, additional HD stop lights bar but I decided to switch stop lights to led and that stop the charging issue I had in the past.

Regards,

Carlos

:witch_brew::witch_brew::witch_brew:

Edited by calperin
I forget something.

My passing lights are set to be off with the headlight on normal. They come on with the high beam selected, which is rarely used with my driving.

Is there an easy way to change this so that the passing lights are on all the time?

Thanks.

Jdix

Mine are on all the time. I can use the little toggle switch on the back of the left light to turn them off, but I leave them on all the time.

The passing lights shouldn’t affect the battery charging unless you’ve added additional lights or are using 55-watt bulbs in the passing lights. The charging system on our bikes has very little spare capacity.

The Yamahaha installation instructions specifically shows these options:

• On at all times: tap the Red w/Yellow stripe lead (in Natural nylon multi-connector)
  • On with High Beam only: tap the Yellow lead to headlight (in Blue multi-connector)
  • On with Low Beam only: tap the Green lead to headlight (in Blue multi-connector)

Goose

My passing lights are set pretty high, much to high for driving at night but I like the bright lights during the day. I also like the brighter lighting for country driving at night with no traffic and when I put on the high beam with the passing lights.... I light up my driving area big time.

I know this is not popular but I have disconnected my kill switch and now use it for an on/off switch for the passing lights, it works really well and is very convenient to use.

As a matter of fact someone thought it was funny to turn my kill switch off recently but all it managed to do was turn off the passing lights and I didn't notice it for some time.

BOO

The dealer who installed the lamps did so such that they were on with the low beams and off with the high beams. I wanted them on all the time, and I didn't want to use the headlamp circuit. Wired that way, if you blow the headlamp fuse, you lose all forward light. I had an intermittent short in the toggle switch which would blow the fuse, so I know this.

I used a relay powered by the running lamps to turn the passing lamps on and off. It is powered from the battery from a fuse box.

Dave

Jdix

In Nova Scotia, as in Ontario I believe, we do not have any stipulations about when or how highway lamps work on the bike..

I run with mine ON 24/7 all the time. My idle is set properly (not low) and to this day have not had any probs with starts or such.. in fact, after a 2 hour 'battery test' the bike started ok.

I have mine wired so that the ON/OFF switch is behind the left fairing next to the aux power outlet. This winter I'll be moving that switch to somewhere more manageable. There are times that while riding in groups with out motorcycle club, it's preferable that only the last bike, the sweep, has his highway lights on to be visible to the lead.

keep in mind that highway lights, especially during the day time, gives oncoming traffic the illusion of a bigger blob of light coming towards them, thus hopefully making you more noticeable that a single headlight.

Be seen.. big lights.. ;)

In Nova Scotia, as in Ontario I believe, we do not have any stipulations about when or how highway lamps work on the bike..

I run with mine ON 24/7 all the time. My idle is set properly (not low) and to this day have not had any probs with starts or such.. in fact, after a 2 hour 'battery test' the bike started ok.

I have mine wired so that the ON/OFF switch is behind the left fairing next to the aux power outlet. This winter I'll be moving that switch to somewhere more manageable. There are times that while riding in groups with out motorcycle club, it's preferable that only the last bike, the sweep, has his highway lights on to be visible to the lead.

keep in mind that highway lights, especially during the day time, gives oncoming traffic the illusion of a bigger blob of light coming towards them, thus hopefully making you more noticeable that a single headlight.

Be seen.. big lights.. ;)

I agree with most everything you have to say and I have mine on for the same reasons but I don't agree about running them as a sweep. At night if they are a little high as mine are then you blind everyone in front of you through the mirrors. If they are not set high as soon as you are close to the person in front of you you can blind that person in front of you. Had this happen to me several times and a couple times I just pulled out of line and rode alone. I'm talking about riding at night only.

BOO

I agree with most everything you have to say and I have mine on for the same reasons but I don't agree about running them as a sweep. At night if they are a little high as mine are then you blind everyone in front of you through the mirrors. If they are not set high as soon as you are close to the person in front of you you can blind that person in front of you. Had this happen to me several times and a couple times I just pulled out of line and rode alone. I'm talking about riding at night only.

BOO

hence why important to have all your lights aimed properly ;)

Inspite of all the size of our bikes, the street lights, the lights ON the bike and all, I almost got clipped by a drunken teen ager last night. Luckily I was able to hit the air horn and make her notice me before she would have jammed me into the barrier.. I got off the bike and started to chew her out when I realized she was plastered.. (it would explain the wild lane change going through the intersection).. I held her there and dialed 911.. because of it being a friday night, this stupid 19 yr old will be spending the weekend in cells until her appearance on monday.. hell of a way to start her college year..

I almost felt sorry for her.. 'almost'..

My passing lights are set pretty high, much to high for driving at night but I like the bright lights during the day. I also like the brighter lighting for country driving at night with no traffic and when I put on the high beam with the passing lights.... I light up my driving area big time.

I know this is not popular but I have disconnected my kill switch and now use it for an on/off switch for the passing lights, it works really well and is very convenient to use.

As a matter of fact someone thought it was funny to turn my kill switch off recently but all it managed to do was turn off the passing lights and I didn't notice it for some time.

BOO

Not a bad idea Jerry. Save me going all over the bike when I accidently hit that thing!!:rotfl:

Thanks for the replies. It would seem that most of you like to run them in daylight and that is what I would like to do as well.

So...for a non-electrician type is there a relatively easy method to make the switch from on with high beam to on with regular beam or is it more of a dealer fix?

Thanks.

Jdix

My lamps can be switched on and off with a switch located next to the 12V power source. They stay on even if I switch to High Beam. fyi, my lamps were dealer installed at the time I bought my RSV. Sorry, I am not so familiar with the wiring on the lamps and have never gotten the chance to open the fairing yet. I am sure members can chime in to answer your question.

Most states have laws about this, I also run the MOTOlights with 55 watt halogen which make me one bright light coming at you...Cant miss me.. But thats how I like it, But when the brights come one the passing lamps and the MOTOlights go off. No need to give the LEO's another reason to stop me