IGNORED

Bought an '89 Venture SS....FOR SALE

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

don, I would be interested in buying the 89 from you. are you going to be around this week so I can come down from Buffalo? thanks, Jim

Hey ,how come you don't ride with us on weekends?? This is really funny, because the part Don is getting for the dash is coming from here!

Make sure you make the Pioneer Motorsports ride for Breast Cancer on the 16th. We're right around the cornewr and will have coffee for Ventureriders in the AM...

Hey ,how come you don't ride with us on weekends?? This is really funny, because the part Don is getting for the dash is coming from here!

Make sure you make the Pioneer Motorsports ride for Breast Cancer on the 16th. We're right around the cornewr and will have coffee for Ventureriders in the AM...

i,m just too busy, i,ll try to make it on the 16th if I can pick up the 89 by then

• 2 weeks later...

Jason,

Yes, it has VMAX cams and valve springs. I have not ridden it hard and certainly nowhere near the 9,000 RPM range. In fact, the only time I rode it was when the day that I bought it and rode it home. Once it was sold and I had a deposit on it, I didn't feel that I had the right to ride it any longer.

Now from what I can tell, and I don't know much about the VBoost system, there is no servo on it so the VBoost is open all the time. I talked to my good friend Rick Butler in Texas about this. Rick built a Venture SS several years ago and told me that he did not use the servo and the VBoost was active all the time on his also. I then did some research online and found that even a lot fo VMAX riders remove or disable the servo so that the VBoost is active at all times. That appears to be the case with this one from what I can tell. It also explains why is has such a lope at idle. It sure sounds good though.

I tried to take some pictures but it is kind of hard to get them. Here they are though.

30180.jpg

30181.jpg

30182.jpg

30183.jpg

Edited by Freebird

Thanks for the pics Don. Interesting to note about leaving it active all the time. I had been thinking about how to control it. Neat setup on the PCV system. Makes it easier to set mine up.

Other things I noticed are no carb drain tubes and the open tubes on top of the carbs. Is this a trait on the later carbs?

Thanks for the pics Don. Interesting to note about leaving it active all the time. I had been thinking about how to control it. Neat setup on the PCV system. Makes it easier to set mine up.

Other things I noticed are no carb drain tubes and the open tubes on top of the carbs. Is this a trait on the later carbs?

I have no idea about the carb drain tubes. It's been a long time since I owned a first gen and don't remember if my '88 had those or not.

Jason,

..... I talked to my good friend Rick Butler in Texas about this. Rick built a Venture SS several years ago and told me that he did not use the servo and the VBoost was active all the time on his also. I then did some research online and found that even a lot fo VMAX riders remove or disable the servo so that the VBoost is active at all times. That appears to be the case with this one from what I can tell. It also explains why is has such a lope at idle. It sure sounds good though.

On my 98 Max, I unhooked the electrical connector to allow the servo to be on VBoost all the time. Didn't really see what the big deal was, so I hooked it back up to normal. My bike is all stock. I guess you gotta do the stage kits for it to make a difference.

Maybe I'm just an old man and just like the good old "feel" of the servo opening and the boost kicking in in the midrange. Kinda like the power band on my old 250 Elsinore.

Whatever floats yer boat...