If your springs are still original, and over 50K, you can assume they are worn out.

The Progressives, slowly increase in strength as the forks are compressed. Small bumbs, they are soft, but as the forkes compress, the springs get progressivly Stiffer, as needed to absorb the shock, as the forks compress.

Also the spring material, is thicker. And, they cost about the same as New OEM Springs.

Also after the rebuild, all the Dirt and crude has been removed, New Clean Oil installed, and the " same " correct Quantity of oil in both sides.

I am assumeing here, that the job has Never been done on a particular bike.

And then add the " SuperBrace " and you get another notch up in performance.

I bought my 89 New, in 93. Frankly on the first ride home from the dealer, I thought the front end on this bike was the Worse handling Front End of any previous bike I had owned, since 1955. However I got used to it.

I did not rebuild the front end untill about 50K. Should have done it the week after I bought the bike.

Everything GeorgeS said. I thought my Ventures ride was OK. It would occasionaly bottom out so I knew the springs were due for a change.

With the new springs the bike now sits taller, it still rides smooth but doesn't bottom out and it seems to handle a lot better.:Venture:

Just did my 87 a well. It' a chore to get the spacer from progressive in but worth the hassle. Biggest challenge is not to strip the cap bolt. Used a speeder handle and full body weight to get the cap bolt installed. Changes the bike incredibly. No air pressure needed. With new head bearings, fork seals, bushings, and superbrace say goodbye to any wobble at any speed................:dancefool::big-grin-emoticon:

Maybe a previous owner already replaced the springs...I don't bottom out or have any wobbles...I changed the fork oil today as part of routine maintenence..the old fluid was black and kind of sticky..The hardest part is getting the caps back on as a previous member stated..I'm going to try and find a piece of allen stock to fit the cap..I was worried that I might cross thread the caps but luckily I didn't....

Bottoming out was the big problem with my '84 till I put in the Progressives. She came with OEM springs and at 20 k miles was all but un rideable till the upgrade.

Even the transition from roadway to driveway at the bottom of my drive in our 20 y.o. subdivision would cause the front shocks to bottom out.

Cheers,

Brian H

Uxbringe Ont

Edited by 6m459
clarity

I cant find those on their website. Is it a special item you have to phone order?

also how much were they? I need to take apart mine this winter and I might as well replace the springs with what you have.

Tim,

Here is the link to MAW online, I have used them before with good results on a few occasions. The fork springs are part # 111112 or the MAW # is M02990 they are $55.95

http://www.mawonline.com/newsite/progressive-fork_springs.htm