IGNORED

Pulled a trailer for the first time

juggler

Hey Jugger,

Your hitch weight is actually just a tad light -- not heavy.... :whistling::whistling: The general rule is 10 to 12.5 percent of the total trailer weight needs to be carried on the hitch. If you get that hitch weight too light the trailer will get really squirely and that could spell disaster. Even though you are a few pound shy of that magic 10% you might be OK.. From what you said it seemed to pull good..... :thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2:

I too was gonna say that would be about right if not add a little more weight. You will know it if it is too light. It will be all over the road. This will have a lot to do with how you pack the trailer, so if it wobbles stop and redistribute the weight.

Congrats on the purchase. Mr. OWL had pictures on here of it a long time ago back when he built it, but i still do not think anyone ever saw his bike. :stirthepot:

Brad

10% of total trailer weight (trailer AND load) is the generally accepted figure. If you are within a few pounds either way, you are OK. DO NOT lighten the weight from where you have it!

Also, make sure your load can't shift when riding. The trailer should be slightly "downhill" so if the load moves, it puts MORE weight on the tongue not less, but it is best if you load so it can't shift. Use empty boxes if necessary to keep things from moving around.

Be sure to check the wheel lug nuts and wheel bearings before every ride, and it is a VERY good practice to feel the tires and wheel bearings at EVERY stop. Tires, even in the summer should be warm, but not too hot to touch. Same with Bearings. IN cool weather, bearings should have no or little heat. Too hot to touch means not enough grease, bearing going bad, or adjusted too tight or too loose. While you are at it, touch the tires on the bike every stop too, it can tell you a lot. This is why you will see good truck drivers going around their vehicle touching things, and banging on the tires (to check for pressure) at each stop. Safety first.

I got this off of Amazon. Berkley Digital Fish Scale. Up to 50LBS, it works perfect. Inexpensive, small, digital, I love it. $18

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-lb-Digital-Fish-Scale/dp/B000E7UJTG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1221166988&sr=8-1]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31NJ5K92B8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg[/ame]

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Berkley-lb-Digital-Fish-Scale/dp/B000E7UJTG/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1221166988&sr=8-1]FishScale[/ame]

:thumbsup2:

• 1 month later...

Okay, Here's the stupit question, How do you know, How much you put in the trailer, to be able to weigh it? for tong weight?:think:

I just load my trailer, with Ice chest just forward of the wheels and load all her suit cases infront of that, then I load my one travel bag, on top of the Ice chest, add fold up chairs in the back of the Ice chest:rain2::innocent:

I know this is gonna sound a little anal but when I first started towing a trailer with our old bike (86' VR) I would stand on a bathroom scale, and Jean would hand all of the items that were going in the trailer to me. We subtracted my body weight and kept a running total of all of the items. After we did this a few times we noticed the weight didn't change much, plus or minus 10 or 15 pounds because we usually carried the same stuff every time. I was even able to weigh the tounge using this method. Oh, by the way a trip to the local recycling center and a few bucks got me the weight of the trailer, empty. They had a really nice, big scale there and were happy to help. :080402gudl_prv:

Tow Safe,

Earl and Jean