IGNORED

2n Gen RSV Turning Radius

KiteSquid

I note that a lot of people here complain about the 2nd Gen RSV has poor low speed handling, so they go about changing the bike by adding "leveling links", lowering the front end or by putting a narrower front tire on, or a combination of these.

However I note on page 9-1 of my Owners Manual that it states that the RSV's Minimum turning radius is 3500 mm (137.8 in). This equates to a little under 11.5 feet.....................

Who has the guts to do a U-turn in under 12 feet in stock trim?????

I am TRYING to do it......

More practice and more part number 4NK-27496-00-00 and 4NK-27497-00-00 might be required.

Now for the challenge: How tight of a U-turn can you do? Also please state any modifications to your suspension like in the first paragraphs of this post. If you have any modifications, I would expect you to be able to U-Turn in under 11.5 feet...

BTW the MSF course double U turn box is either 24 or 20 feet wide while most police motor officer training courses are set at a MAXIMUM of 18 feet... Click HERE for a range.

I dont know how wide the street was but it was a simple side road and turned it around easiely with my bunkhouse attached. No mods on mine.

Couldnt do that before and duck walked around those tight turns. Since this site I've practised looking were I want to go and using the rear brake for very slow speed control.

11.5 feet!! I dont think I could do that and dont think I would try.....back to duck walking in that case!

Now for the challenge: How tight of a U-turn can you do? Also please state any modifications to your suspension like in the first paragraphs of this post. If you have any modifications, I would expect you to be able to U-Turn in under 11.5 feet...

BTW the MSF course double U turn box is either 24 or 20 feet wide while most police motor officer training courses are set at a MAXIMUM of 18 feet... Click HERE for a range.

Apart from adding 45 psi to the rear shock I have nil handling mods on the bike.. but I'll take your challenge and will give you a shout tonight after I give it a try.. if it doesn't rain.. might even video tape it.. (and submit the best results lol.. no fancy editing etc..)

I wonder how many Ventures will be dropped tonight !?! lol

best of luck all..

It has been a few years since I had to re-take my motorcycle test at the DOT here in Iowa, do to a brain fart and forgot to renew my licence. But I do remember that the u-turn with feet on the peggs (that was required) was 12 feet with a 1000 cc or larger bike. I did it with a 1100 cc honda. The crotch rockets that were there would not turn as tight as my honda? I thought that was odd. One guy even walked it around the turn to show the DOT inpector that the cource was to tight for them.

I have NO problem with the turning radius on the 05 RSV I just got, and I pull a trailer quit often. But I have to spread my legs to get the handle bars to come in some times in real tight situations.

I think there's a song that goes something like "Give me forty acres and I'll.........." that's about how much room I need.

Here in Illinois for testing purposes if the bike is under 500cc then you have to make a U turn inside 20 feet if over 500cc then you get 24 feet but I'm not sure I could do that, maybe. I didn't have to take that test when I got my license, more or less just took a written test. Been a while though.

Jerry

Leveling links and a narrower front tire will not change how far the forks will turn - which, outside of rider skill, is what determines the minimum turning radius. Only modifying the lock stops will change that. They only change handling characteristics.

I can U turn inside of the width of an average two lane country road, whatever that is. I don't have to duck walk and back up to turn around. I haven't tried to push myself much smaller than that.

Leveling links and a narrower front tire will not change how far the forks will turn

True.

- which, outside of rider skill, is what determines the minimum turning radius. Only modifying the lock stops will change that. They only change handling characteristics.

I have to disagree. Actually the leveling links raise the rear end of the bike. This lowers the rake angle of the front end, which means a decrease in trail. Less trail means less stability, which means a quicker-steering bike and therefore decreasing the minimum turning radius.

Putting a narrower front tire on also will decrease the minimum truing radius by lowering the radius across the contact patch of the front tire.

I can U turn inside of the width of an average two lane country road, whatever that is.

It is about 24 feet as one standard lane is 12 feet wide in the US.

I don't have to duck walk and back up to turn around. I haven't tried to push myself much smaller than that.

I can comfortably do a U-turn in about 16 feet, which is the width of two standard parking spaces, as I practice in the parking lot at work, but I want to improve my riding skills. I did do a right hand U-turn in about 13 feet once.............. My goal is to be able to do 12 feet in both directions.... that would have the boards scrapping hard the whole way around!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by KiteSquid

I have done a 13 foot or less U turn. Sitting at a traffic light in the left turn lane and left track of the lane, Green arrow, and make a u-turn staying in the very next opposing traffic lane. Lanes in the city are usually 11 feet wide. Freeway lanes tend to be 12 feet or more

Ok, like many of you, I have the Ride Like a Pro DVD's, they're great.

So, I had the opportunity to practice some really tight circles the other day. Finally got to where I was scraping the floorboard on almost the entire circle, at about 5-8mph.

Not sure the circumference but dang, it was leaning. Looking waaaaaay back to where I was turning was key.

However, I'm MUCH better at left turns/circles than right......the whole dominant eye thing I figure.

The latest MSF stadards say for a bike under 600cc you use a 20' by 60'. On bikes 600cc and above you use a 24' 70' box. After you do the box you do 2 s cruves that are ten feet right and ten feet left. If you can do the two cruves you can do the box. Find a empty parking lot and measure off the parking lines that are connected and you have your box to work with.

tew47

Ok, I gave this a try last night, a beautiful night.. After a 2 hour highway run I decided to give it a try in the parking lot (less gas in tank, less top heavy, eh?!)

After 5 tries I managed to get it around the 12 foot range.. 5 tries cause when you try too hard to pooch it up too easily hehe.. With a lot of brake, clutch and throttle and then with the soft gentle touch.. Stangely enough I found it easier to work it with a full tank of gas..

While I was trying to make this U-Turn from a start off.. my friend pulled a full circle inside of mine without even trying.. Ok, now THAT was impressive. No mods on his bike either.

If I get time this weekend (if the trop storm misses us) I'll try it again.. determined!! =)

Ok, like many of you, I have the Ride Like a Pro DVD's, they're great.

So, I had the opportunity to practice some really tight circles the other day. Finally got to where I was scraping the floorboard on almost the entire circle, at about 5-8mph.

Not sure the circumference but dang, it was leaning. Looking waaaaaay back to where I was turning was key.

However, I'm MUCH better at left turns/circles than right......the whole dominant eye thing I figure.

Pretty much eveyone is better at left turns. When the throttle is closer to your body its a little harder to maintain consistant throttle inputs due to the angle of your hand/wrist. On the left turn your hand and wrist are fairly straight and away from the body making it easier to keep a consistant throttle input, but on right turns the hand and wrist are bent and close to your body making it more difficult to keep consistant inputs which help you stabilize the bike in a turn.

Edited by CrazyHorse

While I was trying to make this U-Turn from a start off.. my friend pulled a full circle inside of mine without even trying.. Ok, now THAT was impressive. No mods on his bike either.

So are you saying that Yamaha made a bike that handles well at highway speeds and at low speeds quite well and does NOT need any modifications???? it is all related to rider skills??????

I am not trying to put words into your mouth..............

BTW are there any mods on your bike????

....but on right turns the hand and wrist are bent and close to your body making it more difficult to keep consistant inputs which help you stabilize the bike in a turn.

I kinda cheat this one..... On the right turns, I set my throttle speed by gripping the throttle and the bar weights with the same grip. this spreads my hands out more, giving me more leverage AND it sets the throttle at one setting, allowing me to regulate the bike's speed with the clutch.

By doing this I am hobbling myself for other bikes that don't have the bar end weights like the 2nd Gen RSV has. Something to think about.

So are you saying that Yamaha made a bike that handles well at highway speeds and at low speeds quite well and does NOT need any modifications???? it is all related to rider skills??????

I am not trying to put words into your mouth..............

BTW are there any mods on your bike????

Put food in my mouth, not words.. I wouldn't know how to use them properly anyway ; )

No handling mods on my bike.. E3 tires, 45 lbs air rear shock is about all I have.. I just do a lot of slow riding due to the *&$&$%*@ construction zones around here.. grr. You can duck walk a mile or you can play a game for that mile and learn some skills.

And people wonder why I ride at 3 am in the morning..

I kinda cheat this one..... On the right turns, I set my throttle speed by gripping the throttle and the bar weights with the same grip. this spreads my hands out more, giving me more leverage AND it sets the throttle at one setting, allowing me to regulate the bike's speed with the clutch.

By doing this I am hobbling myself for other bikes that don't have the bar end weights like the 2nd Gen RSV has. Something to think about.

How is that cheating? I did mine with one hand so I could touch the pavement with my finger to mark the centre of the turn.. ????