IGNORED

2002 Midnight Venture

RossKean

Hi All!

I don't know whether this is the right place to post, or not... I apologize in advance for the length of the post.

Anyway, I am looking at the possibility of buying a black 2002 Midnight Venture and am trying to learn a bit more about it. It is pretty well loaded chrome-wise but I don't think there have been any mods other than aftermarket exhaust (which I didn't like and would return to stock). The previous owner scooped out the seat and I would have to get an original since I am 6'3". Kury grips would replace the stockers.

I have been riding a 2004 Roadstar for the past year and a half and have put quite a few miles on it. The Roadie is a great cruiser but lacks something for touring. Bag space, comfort and amenities ensure that any longer trips are solo - wife isn't happy riding any distance.

The bike I'm considering has 36000 km on it (~23000 mi). Paint is in reasonable shape but needs a good buffing. Overall condition seems to be pretty good but I don't really know what to look for in terms of potential problems.

The previous owner spent some money on bling but I don't think he really maintained it properly - maybe he didn't know how or just didn't bother. I'll be getting the service and warranty records from the dealer so I should be able to find out whether the appropriate routine service was done! It does make a bit of a ringing noise in the clutch area at certain RPMs but I understand that this is VERY common and not particularly a problem (other than an annoyance).

1) Is there any reasonable fix for the clutch noise?

2) How difficult is it to adjust the carbs (syncing etc)?

3) Any recommended aftermarket (non-cosmetic) improvements (i.e. the Roadstar benefited greatly with an aftermarket breather (Baron BAK) and rejetting) Anything similar for the Venture?

4) Any issues to look out for with respect to the engine, cooling system, shaft drive etc. (Major mechanical)

5) Suspension issues or bearings?

6) Specific maintenance issues other than the usual - brakes, tires, oil, chasis lube...

7) Comments regarding comfort, noise, vibration etc compared to the R* (or other tourers like the HD Ultra Classic)

8) How is the "fit" for distance riding for someone who is less compact than most? (Tall with long legs) Would highway pegs be an important addition? How's the amount of room for the passenger?

9) What's the nicest bit of bling to add? A new (to me) bike needs a little present to feel welcome in a new home!

10) Anything else I should know???

I really like the idea of a touring bike that still looks like a motorcycle. While a Wing may be in my future, it will wait for a few years!

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Also posted at Delphi - never hurts to get as wide a variety of opinions/comments as possible!

Ross

Mine is an 02 Midnight and the only problem I've had was the rear shock replaced under warranty about '04. Keep it serviced and tuned is all you need to do, the carb sync is pretty easy and come to one of the meet-n-greets and someone will likely be syncing carbs. I've added some stuff like the taller Clearview windshield, Yamaha lower wind deflectors, trunk rack, and bag rails but performance wise it's like it came out of the crate. The clutch basket whine isn't bad and seems to affect all 2nd gens to some degree. I'm a 29' inseam and the bike fits nicely but there are a lot of tall guys out there on them too. We ride 2 up most of the time and both of us are comfortable enough but are ready to stretch by the time we need gas, about 180-200 miles. I can put my legs forward without pegs but I'm sure you would need them to extend your legs. I love mine.

Edited by GunnyButch

1) Is there any reasonable fix for the clutch noise?

I- basket is the only fix that I know of and that'll cost you some $300 to $400 If I'm not mistaken. Other than louder pipes or turn up the radio which you'll hear quite frequently from the yahoos on this site :whistling:

2) How difficult is it to adjust the carbs (syncing etc)?

With the proper gauge it's a piece of cake!! :thumbsup2:

3) Any recommended aftermarket (non-cosmetic) improvements (i.e. the Roadstar benefited greatly with an aftermarket breather (Baron BAK) and rejetting) Anything similar for the Venture?

K&N filters and aftermarket pipes but I don't know that it BENEFITS much from the addition although some

4) Any issues to look out for with respect to the engine, cooling system, shaft drive etc. (Major mechanical)

Maybe whine or clicking in the rear (mostly because the rearend needs to be greased)

5) Suspension issues or bearings?

Rear shock leaking/creaking.

6) Specific maintenance issues other than the usual - brakes, tires, oil, chasis lube...

That's about it with these bikes.

7) Comments regarding comfort, noise, vibration etc compared to the R* (or other tourers like the HD Ultra Classic)

Smooth compared to the V-Twins. Love the higher revs though. Don't be afraid to test out the rev limiter. These engines love the revs.

8) How is the "fit" for distance riding for someone who is less compact than most? (Tall with long legs) Would highway pegs be an important addition? How's the amount of room for the passenger?

Yes, highway pegs are a great addition for taller riders!!

9) What's the nicest bit of bling to add? A new (to me) bike needs a little present to feel welcome in a new home!

Backrest!!

10) Anything else I should know???

I really like the idea of a touring bike that still looks like a motorcycle. While a Wing may be in my future, it will wait for a few years!

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions. Also posted at Delphi - never hurts to get as wide a variety of opinions/comments as possible!

Ross

Welcome to the site!! Ride Safely!!

1) Is there any reasonable fix for the clutch noise? If it is real annoyance, you can have the clutch basket changed out to an 'I' clutch basket. Search this site for more info.

2) How difficult is it to adjust the carbs (syncing etc)? Easy - with the right tools. Several folks have made their own synchronizers, but the Morgan CarbTune II seems to be the purchased tool of choice. About $100. Usually one on hand at most VentureRider gatherings. Takes about 10-15 minutes.

3) Any recommended aftermarket (non-cosmetic) improvements (i.e. the Roadstar benefited greatly with an aftermarket breather (Baron BAK) and rejetting) Anything similar for the Venture? Oh my!! We are all really good at spending your money. First, upgrade tires from the stock Bridgestones to Avon Venoms. Secondly, add a set of lowering links (actually raises the back end) to the back end. It changes the geometry slightly and provides much better low speed handling. You CAN tell the difference immediately. About $75 and 30 minutes of work.

4) Any issues to look out for with respect to the engine, cooling system, shaft drive etc. (Major mechanical). Nope. Just need to lube the drive shaft splines and the drive hub pins when you change tires.

5) Suspension issues or bearings? There has been some discussions of premature failures of the rear shock. I have not experienced any difficulty in 60,000 miles.

6) Specific maintenance issues other than the usual - brakes, tires, oil, chasis lube... None that I recall.

7) Comments regarding comfort, noise, vibration etc compared to the R* (or other tourers like the HD Ultra Classic). I have not ridden others. Others will comment.

8) How is the "fit" for distance riding for someone who is less compact than most? (Tall with long legs) Would highway pegs be an important addition? How's the amount of room for the passenger? This is a great bike for taller folks (6'4" here). I would look at a set of offset Longhorn highway pegs. I believe they are available from Kurikian (sp?). Also, if you intend to put significant miles on the bike, you will benefit from a driver's back rest. DiamondR or Utopia seem to be the brands of choice. Your passenger will really enjoy the extra room on the Venture.

9) What's the nicest bit of bling to add? A new (to me) bike needs a little present to feel welcome in a new home! A Zumo 550. It will always get you home after you realize you have ridden 500 miles away and haven't paid attention to where you were going. Also, it provides an MP3, Bluetooth for your phone (which can be ported to your helmet headset with a special cable made by one of the members here).

10) Anything else I should know??? If you intend to do your own wrenching, get a lift adapter from CarbonOne (a member here). It makes the bike much more stable on the jack. There is even an option to get it with legs you you can remove the jack and have the bike on a very stable stand. Best money you can spend if you intend to do your own work. Adding SpeedBleeders to your brake calipers and clutch is an inexpensive convenience. Do this when you change out your fluids (should be done every couple of years). Can be purchased from SpeedBleeder.com - about $8 each (need 4 total - search the site for specific part numbers). If you don't believe the PO has done this, make this part of your first maintenance session.

Welcome to the family. The Venture is a great bike that will provide many miles of comfortable riding - both for you and your passanger.

RR

Edited by RedRider

Thanks for the responses so far! Very helpful.

Couple of more questions...

Oil - Synthetic, of course and I don't want to debate brands!! 20W40 or 20W50?

Air kits - Is this one only for the Royal star or is it applicable to the Venture as well? Does anyone know if it is worth it?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BA%2D2000%2D00

Ross

Hi, Ross.

I bought an 03 Midnight last year. The PO (great acronym, by the way, whoever's that was) had added chrome choke knob (cute, but I thought they ALL had one), tank bib with pouch (good for holding the iPod or GPS), chrome passenger floorboards/footpegs....what the hell ARE those things (they look great, but are/were pricey...for him, not me, thank god), passing lamps (anything that gives you more visibility can't be bad).

What I just added, today, is a Stebel airhorn. Best $52 plus tax you could ever spend. Make your bike sound like the diesel train is really is. Stop those f**ckers from cutting you off with one Herculian BLAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSTTTTT from the allegedly "compact" Italian Stebel Nautilus air horn. You'll never be intimidated by an encroaching Cadillac again.

Oh, and on the performance front.....forget the fire breathing aftermarket carbs, filters, pipes and all the rest. This bike runs like a pussy cat, until you crack it open.....then it's a screaming tiger. What my friends and I used to call a "sleeper". Looks tame.....goes like stink. Put your money into acoutrements....little nicities that make the world go round....like cup holders, a tach, luggage rack....you know, the good stuff.

Enjoy it when you get it!

Mike

Thanks for the responses so far! Very helpful.

Couple of more questions...

Oil - Synthetic, of course and I don't want to debate brands!! 20W40 or 20W50?

Air kits - Is this one only for the Royal star or is it applicable to the Venture as well? Does anyone know if it is worth it?

http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BA%2D2000%2D00

Ross

Mike

I also liked the PO acronym! I thought about the Stebel for my Roadstar but never got one. I may do it for the Venture. It has nice chrome horn covers on it already so I might leave the stock ones on as well! (More "bling")

Bike needs some TLC. Paint needs a properr polish and the PO was an amateur electrician - extra lights etc were wired so poorly that they shorted out and are currently non-functional. Temporary fix it for now and do it right over the winter.

My brother-in-law lives in your neck of the woods (Port Dalhousie). I'm going to trry to talk my wife into a trip up there - but probably not 'till spring. I used to live in Burlington.

Ross