IGNORED

What Would Happen If?????

I just finished having my master cylinders rebuilt, new clutch discs installed, new brake pads, new valve cover gaskets, and the carburators inspected on my 86 VR. Also, I had the carburators synchronized.

At cruising speed, the bike seems to run just fine. However, the bike does not idle down properly when stopped. As I am down-shifting, you can tell the bike is not idling down as it should. When I am in first gear and stopped, it wants to idle at approximately 3500 rpms. "Way to fast". I think it is supposed to idle between 950 and 1050 rpms. The guy that performed the repairs indicated he checked the throttle cable adjustment, thinking that might be the problem. However, it was fine.

Now, after hauling the bike back to Dallas (approximately 120 miles) and reviewing the VentureRider website, I now see the Yamaha Service Manual is incorrect when describing the procedure for "carburetor synchronization" based on the correct use of different adjustment screws. If the carburetor synchronization was performed as indicated in the Yamaha Service Manual, would this create the excessive idling problem I am experiencing?

Also, those living in the Dallas area, do you know of any good Motorcycle Shops (independents, etc....) that would perform another carbuertor synchronization if this was the problem. Yamaha Shops that I have spoken with in the past will not work on my bike due to its age. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Allen S.

Dallas, Texas