IGNORED

Rear wheel needle bearing

Hi y'all,

When I pulled the rear wheel on my Venture the inner race of the needle bearing on the LH side fell out, exposing the needles. I want to clean up the bearing and put in fresh grease. However, I can't get the needle bearing and its cup (outer race) out of the wheel without damaging it. Any ideas on how to clean the bearing while installed in the wheel?

I wonder why Yamaha elected to use a needle bearing there instead of a sealed ball bearing like on the other side? The rear wheel on my Virago has no needle bearing. Seems like a strange solution.

Jeremy

The Needle Bearing is a better Idea for heavier Load.

You won't get that outer Bearing out without damaging it. But since the Needles did fall out, you need to replace it anyway. The one you got is Junk. Definately.

There's no aftermarket Part for this. This is a Yammi Part. I'm sorry to say this, but at least you can replace the Ball Bearing on the other Side with an Aftermarket Bearing.

Well, this bike is a heavy load!

Actually the needles didn't fall out, just the inner race or "collar". The needles are captive in a cage. I could simply slide the collar back in and go, there's no evidence of bearing damage. I just figure while I'm in there I want to clean it out and repack the grease. Thus the challenge - how to effectively clean the outer race - needle - cage assembly while in the wheel hub.

Jeremy

If the needles look to be in good shape, just use a clean, lint free cloth to wipe any trash from the surface of the bearings. If you have a needle attachment for your grease gun you can use it to inject grease into the bearing. If not, just put some grease on your finger and push it into the bearings. You will be surprised at how little grease these bearings actually require. :thumbsup2:

Good luck.