IGNORED

Border Crossing

BradT

Okay now there is a few tricks when trying to cross the CDN - US border, which some of this applies to other border crossings as well.

Firstly make sure you have a license plate, for some reason they want to see one to determine what Country you live.

This past weekend we were heading off to Squidleys then to Floyds for the Maintenance BBQ. AS I was getting things ready, I grabbed my wifes ID and mine, packed the bike and we were off. We get to the Ferry with about 15 minutes before it stopped for the evening. While crossing and I grabbed the ID's, and looking at it I realized I grabbed the kids ID not Rhonda's. Oh know.

Well the border guy advises us what we already knew, that you have to have ID. After being puled over the fellow brought Rhonda into the customs and asked her a bunch of questions. He was very abrupt and not nice at all actually called her stupid twice, but then let us carry on.

Had great evening and day today and when we got to Canada the lady crossing guard wondered how we got into the states, and let us go.

I guess the main point is to always carry you ID. By the way I was not in the dog house too long. :rotf:

Brad

Aren't our customs and immigration people just wonderful? They jerk us Yanks around too.

Once, a business colleague flew from London England (he's British) to Detroit for a trade show (pre 9-11). They turned him back because he didn't have a Visa. Now, you don't need a Visa to travel to the US from England, but he had one and hadn't brought it. That just pissed them off.

Only problem I ever had with the Canadians was when they turned me back for having firewood. I felt pretty guilty too because they seemed to be really sad that they had to do that.

Edited by MiCarl

Okay now there is a few tricks when trying to cross the CDN - US border, which some of this applies to other border crossings as well.

Firstly make sure you have a license plate, for some reason they want to see one to determine what Country you live.

This past weekend we were heading off to Squidleys then to Floyds for the Maintenance BBQ. AS I was getting things ready, I grabbed my wifes ID and mine, packed the bike and we were off. We get to the Ferry with about 15 minutes before it stopped for the evening. While crossing and I grabbed the ID's, and looking at it I realized I grabbed the kids ID not Rhonda's. Oh know.

Well the border guy advises us what we already knew, that you have to have ID. After being puled over the fellow brought Rhonda into the customs and asked her a bunch of questions. He was very abrupt and not nice at all actually called her stupid twice, but then let us carry on.

Had great evening and day today and when we got to Canada the lady crossing guard wondered how we got into the states, and let us go.

I guess the main point is to always carry you ID. By the way I was not in the dog house too long. :rotf:

Brad

Brad ,

Which side (US or Can) called here "stupid" ? No matter what the situation was , that customs officer had no right to call her "stupid". If it was me , I would file a complaint .

BEER30

Brad ,

Which side (US or Can) called here "stupid" ? No matter what the situation was , that customs officer had no right to call her "stupid". If it was me , I would file a complaint .

BEER30

US Side. Squidley was pretty ticked and was calling someone to complain, but could not find a number. Brad was going to get me the persons name, and then I thinking of calling someone.

BRad

Customs and Homeland Security are the rudest bunch out there . After getting kicked out of the Library of Congress , and talking to a couple of Capital Police MC cops , they too called them a couple of names that described them exceptionally well .

Another time I was crossing the US/Can border back in the 90's , an elderly couple was detained , humiliated , car stripped down , bags un-packed and scattered all over the parking lot from the Canadian side . Then left all the debris for the elderly to deal with . I crossed over to the US side and told the US customs . They just looked pitiful dumb faced and just sat there . Well a couple of 3 letter agency officers (and it weren't no US Customs guys either) were there to here me complain about it and they marched right across the border and made the Canadian customers officers put everything right back where it came from , all nice and tidy. Sometimes these guys (both sides) think they are "God all Mighty".

BEER30

Guest tessa c2

i usually have more trouble with our guys , than the american side, ours will let a motorhome go through, but want to check out the bike:scratchchin:

Brad ,

BEER30

DITTO: I worked for the government and that was inappropriate and very RUDE, file a complaint.

All in all, it was a good weekend Brad! Glad you didn't have to sleep with Ben last night! And even happier that Rhonda didn't have to go thru any more crap cause she was already ready to kick the crap out of you!:stirthepot::whistling:

I still think filing a complaint may still be the thing to do!

WOW....first you use plastic screws for the purpose of losing her license plates, then you try to get her arrested at the border.

You sure like living on the EDGE don't you. :rotf:

I do agree with the others though. There is NEVER an excuse for such rudeness from our public officials. I had a little run in with a local policeman a few months ago. I won't go into the long details but I had done nothing wrong and he was WAY out of line. I turned around and drove straight to the police station and filed a complaint against him. Most of the policemen in this area are pretty darn nice folks...this is one though that likes to wear his authority on his sleeve and push it around. I don't much go for that nonsense.

WOW....first you use plastic screws for the purpose of losing her license plates, then you try to get her arrested at the border.

You sure like living on the EDGE don't you. :rotf:

I do agree with the others though. There is NEVER an excuse for such rudeness from our public officials. I had a little run in with a local policeman a few months ago. I won't go into the long details but I had done nothing wrong and he was WAY out of line. I turned around and drove straight to the police station and filed a complaint against him. Most of the policemen in this area are pretty darn nice folks...this is one though that likes to wear his authority on his sleeve and push it around. I don't much go for that nonsense.

Those kind usually find the Badge too heavy to carry for long. But we get stuck with some of them!

Brad ,

BEER30

I'm still stewing about this, and you can bet that I WILL find out who his supervisor is. There was no excuse for him to react the way he did. He should have just sent them back home. I know the guy who they are talking about as he is just an idiot, I'll get him....I hold grudges for a long time

:buttkick:

In contrast, I rarely travel into the US but when I do, I've never experienced any problems...except for one time. That was back in 1975. My ex and I had just gotten married and we went to Spokane to spend some time and shop a bit. I bought a pair of cowboy boots there. Inside was a stamp "Made in USA". When coming back into Canada, we got the general questions and we declared all that we'd bought, had the receipts, etc (except for a few things I had installed on my car,,, custom exhaust, custom wheels, etc...and the Cowboy boots). For some reason, he asked me about the boots and I said I'd bought them up in Canada prior to travelling to the US. He asked if we had a receipt...no. Take them off he said... he sees the stamp on the inside and says, if I don't have a receipt, I have to leave them there and return with one. I was PO'd but whatever... so we go home to Penticton, I go to the stationery store and buy a rubber stamp kit and a blank book of receipts. Make up a phoney business name on the stamp kit and stamp a blank receipt, write on it a fictitious sale for the boots and take it back to the border and get my boots LOL... now, the irony of it all is... the rubber stamp kit was "made in the USA"!! hahaha

:sign20:

I see no reason to say such things about ANY single group of people and this is the sort of comments that we honestly don't need here.

then you try to get her arrested at the border.

Did not need this comment either. You were just trying to get me in trouble Right ?

Brad

Guest Swifty
He was very abrupt and not nice at all actually called her stupid twice,Brad

No help is really needed, you did fine all by yourself, by grabbing the wrong id.

Brad, don't you just hate it when someone calls the wrong person "stupid"?

;)