IGNORED

HELP! Carb Sync & Idle Speed

Bought CarbTune & Tachometer. Right now all set up, engine warmed up enough so fan running on radiator. Found idle at 1550. No problem do initial syncing of carbs - just to find right adj. screws. My problem is I cannot get bike to idel at 1100 - it stalls. If reving, smooths out then stalls. Minimum is 1150, still pins on carb tube move so violently hard to adjust. Why won't this bike idle at 1000. WOn't even run at 900 at book says. New fuel filter, new iridium plugs, etc. Please advise.

Ist...have you got the restricters on the tubes for the carb tune? If not the bars will go all over the place.

Are you trying to lower the rpms with the carb tune hooked up? Maybe try without hooking up...dont know if thats the answer but...

Im afraid I am now out of my element....sorry. Hang in there someone with more knowledge will help you out.

Did it do this before adding the tach? I dont know if that would have anything to do with it...but ya never know. And the filters sure wont do that from what I've read.

Like you said something isnt right.

Chances are that there is one cylinder that is not working, you'll hardly even notice it. Start by pulling plug wires off, one at a time and see if the RPM's drop. If there is very little or no change then that cylinder is not working well, and if you haven't noticed it on the road the chances are that it is the idle circuit in the carb. That would give the symptoms your are describing.

I'll try droppoing off one cylinder at a time. It's just idling rough, maybe the circuit you mentioned. The Carbtune is set up correctly, albeit I get wild ranges of readings because the idle is really rough. If you speed up the engine, things smooth out and the CarbTune "needles" settle down and then adj can be made. Thanks for the help.