I installed Baron's risers on the new Venture, easy to install, comfortable riding position now..

However, now concerned about the shroud / fairing's rubber mounts not touching the bars, basically leaving the top of the fairing unsupported..

Is there any real concerns about this or did I miss something in the installation process about those rubber mounts?

Cheers!!

No you didnt miss anything. The rubber bumper are not big enough once the risers are on. They are used to help stop the fairing from rattling around. Someone made their own bumpers to fix this.

Yes. The bar will now touch the plastic on front. It shouldnt cause any trouble as it only does that at full turn right.

Just be careful.

I ran mine for a while without the rubber stops in and really didn't like the way the faring bounced around. I was afraid that after awhile cracks would form where the faring mounts to the forks so I flipped the stops over, pulled the handlebars down and wedged the stops between the HB and the faring. It isn't pretty but it stopped that bouncing and I feel better about it. Somebody cut out hockey pucks and used them but I'm not sure who it was.

Im having the same problem too. I remember someone a while ago had a post about drilling and tapping the lower part of the riser and adding a short length of 1" chrome pipe to simulate a handlebar. So far I havent been able to find it. Maybe ill try the hockey puck thing. Shape it up nice and add some chrome stick on moulding to hide it a bit, maybe a 1" wide piece.

What I did was to take some rubber spacers that you can buy at PEP Boys for puting between coil springs in a car. I reshaped the original bumpers to fit the bars with the risers installed, then cut down the coil spring spacer to fit between the top of the tripple tree and the bottom of the reshaped fairing bumper. Fitted a strap of aluminum to the two of them with SS deck screws. The aluminum strap and the screws are painted black and when they are installed you really can not see them. The fairng does not bounce.

The links below should take you to some pictures. Not perfect but very functional.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/royalsteve/DSCN0415.jpg

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/royalsteve/?action=view&current=DSCN0416.jpg

What I did was to take some rubber spacers that you can buy at PEP Boys for puting between coil springs in a car. I reshaped the original bumpers to fit the bars with the risers installed, then cut down the coil spring spacer to fit between the top of the tripple tree and the bottom of the reshaped fairing bumper. Fitted a strap of aluminum to the two of them with SS deck screws. The aluminum strap and the screws are painted black and when they are installed you really can not see them. The fairng does not bounce.

The links below should take you to some pictures. Not perfect but very functional.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e224/royalsteve/?action=view&current=DSCN0416.jpg

That's a nice set up, I would consider PM'ing Freebird and seeing if he wants to put it in as a tech article.

I picked up a dark colored foam rubber ball in the toy section at Wally World that was about 2-1/2" in diameter, cut it in half and wedged each half in between the bars and the fairing, just outboard from the riser clamps. It's been a year now and no cracks or other ill effects. The stock bumpers are still right there where they were...haven't fallen off yet!

As for the bars now hitting the plastic shroud around the ignition switch, it hasn't been a problem at all.

The fairng does not bounce.

A picture is worth a thousand words..

Many thanks for sharing!!

Cheers

My thinking with the hockey puck is to shape it just like the riser so it follows the same contours as the original rubber spacer so that when you bolt the bars down it acts like an extender. Im going to try that soon and if it works ill post pics.

We have a rubber belt company in town that discardes chunks of sheet rubber anywhere from three quarters to two inches thick, so I went dumpster diving and got some rubber the same thickness as original. I then traced the original, added the distance needed, cut with a saw, used a hand grinder to cut the ribs in the top and round the edges and you cant tell them from the original. I would be glad to send you some material if you would like to go the same route. tj

We have a rubber belt company in town that discardes chunks of sheet rubber anywhere from three quarters to two inches thick, so I went dumpster diving and got some rubber the same thickness as original. I then traced the original, added the distance needed, cut with a saw, used a hand grinder to cut the ribs in the top and round the edges and you cant tell them from the original. I would be glad to send you some material if you would like to go the same route. tj

Any way you'd be willing to take a picture of one of your spacers or make a scale drawing of your work of art? I want to put the risers on but this issue is one I want to solve in advance. Thanks

I think ill take you up on that offer....I have tried to find discarded sheets here but to no avail. You have a PM.....And thanks

Well I found something that works nicely and I had a lot off laying around the photostudio... Ever see those high density foam mats people use in their shops, like puzzle pieces? I use them in the photo studio for various projects.. I had left over edge pieces and cut them to size and force jammed them into the space so there is a push against the shroud now, and it takes the vibes out nicely..

Though the high density foam can be squished when you press hard on them, they will still compact enough and still give some hardness to hold the equipment in place..

Werks fer me..

I've also installed the risers and have only been on one overnight trip so far. The installation of the risers allowed me to put the Utopia backrest back on which came off because I'm too tall and I almost wrecked on my first ride, My knee hit the end of the bar while trying to turn into a parking lot. This no longer happens but on this trip I had so much pain in my right elbow by the end of the first day that riding wasn't enjoyable. The return trip was just as painful. Not sure if it's the risers or just a new pain I have to deal with.

So to speak.

I flipped the bumers upside down/backwards and jammed them back in there, seems to work.

However one problem, the risers now rub/squish the top part of the plastic housing surrounding the ignition, both left and right locked turns.

I'm sure over time this will wear it out.

Anyone else have this problem?

However one problem, the risers now rub/squish the top part of the plastic housing surrounding the ignition, both left and right locked turns.

I'm sure over time this will wear it out.

Anyone else have this problem?

This is normal for it to touch and people say it will not be a problem.. you can't use the chromed version as it will break..

• 1 month later...

Just got back from Daytona Meet and Greet , Ruffrider99 wanted this info posted afer seeing my set up in person.