IGNORED

chroming fins

jlh3rd

can anyone explain why you can't chrome the fins on a 2nd gen.......they tell me that the chroming won't get all the way in and will have a yellow tint on the inside.......i was told that's why you don't see any aftermarket chrome fins...

I know where there is a set of fins for sale if anyone is interested. That way you can get these and have what ever you want done to them. Be it chroming, diamond cutting, or powder coating. They are NOT the blacked out fins.

OK, I'l bite..... or is it a secret..:rotf:

How much for them?

barons shows nothing......what is a 2000mm.....my guess is it isn't a venture........when i got my 07, the first thing i wanted to do was chrome the fins....found a pic of someone who chromed his, it looked ok, except that,and he stated, that there was a yellowish tint on the inside.....i figured it was just a bad chrome job......searched all over and no one offered any as an aftermarket ...so i let it go........recently approached a chroming facility where i live ,about re-doing my trunk rack and also my fins......he didn't hesitate to say that the fins wouldn't come out 100% and said exactly what i found out before, that there would be a slight yellow tint on the inside.....this is no fly-by-night shop,.........i didn't ask him why, i should have......so, i repeat the question.....why wont the chrome take on the inside......

the reason you can not chrome the fins is because in each fin there are three mounts that have rubber bushings in them. the chroming process will desolve the rubber bushing. You would not be able to replace them because them only come pre-pressed in the factory. If you were to take a closer look at the show bikes the bushing are probebly not there. If you want a nice look on the fins sent them to diamond cut in vegas, for 300 they will cut diamond edges on the fins just like the big V-twin motors.

OK folks let me put in two cents worth.

1. You can chrome fins.

2. I will never do it again.

3. The chrome does not go down between the fins, that is why I taped mine off and painted down inside.

4. The bushings can be removed and replaced, they cost $70.00 per side.

5. All in all they look good but are a pain in the ####

And just to add this note, the chrome shop that does all our chroming, told me never to bring in any more. They had a real hard time because of the process and bubbling of the chrome before they finally got them completed.

Polishing and diamond cutting would be the best bet.

enjoy the ride

Allen

OK, I'l bite..... or is it a secret..:rotf:

How much for them?

LOL I didn't know what he was asking at the time.

I spoke with the guy today and he said he would take $400.00 for the complete set of 4. Plus shipping.

He also has a lot of other stuff for the RSV including the chrome engine bolt kit, both front brake calipers (not sure about the master cylinder), the front and rear (not sure how to say this) chrome wheel covers? I know they were really hard to come by. I am trying to get him to give me a list of everything. He is willing to come down on prices if one person gets other stuff. Again I am trying to get him to give me a list of stuff and prices. A lot of the chrome stuff is still in the original packaging if I remember correctly. I'm trying to remember what all he had in his trunk, there were several boxes. I got a Wagner grill cover and both original air filters new and the mirrors from him. Oh yeah he has the amber covers for the turn signals.