IGNORED

1 or 2 wheel trailers

Seaking

Hi guys and gals.. I'm rather new to the Venture with only 6000 miles in 2 months on my 06 midnight (bought used this july)

I have a hitch coming soon and though I wasn't planning on towing anything this year, my friend has started building bike trailers, very nice looking.. 75 lbs, single wheel, fiberglass with a square top lid latch. Looks sharp I must say..

As far as trailers go, is there a preference to towing single wheel over 2 wheels? The only disadvantage to a single wheel trailer, to me, would be when you unhitched it.. how do you support it?! But when pulling these trailers, is there a diff in the handling?

I typically ride solo but am also a photographer and would LOVE to haul my lighting system on road trips with the bike instead of taking the cage for this purpose.. I don't camp, hotels are fine for this guy.. sorry ; )

All I would need to do is now find a suitable trailer to hold the lighting system.. I did see a set up that was vertical in nature over the top of the hitch, say big enough for your golf bag etc.. that one looked interesting but exceedingly expensive.. I guess one of those set ups are only limited by the tongue weight?

Interesting set up..

Seaking

I have pulled two wheel trailers several thousand miles with good luck. If I were going to purchase a trailer I would have to get a 2 wheel. There are some very nice light ones out there that will do what you want.

For me, I don't like the idea of having a one wheeled anything. I am like you, how do you hold the dang thing up when you unhook it??? :think: :think: :think: I've passed em on the road, but never seen one unhooked. I guess it is one of the greater mysteries of life that may never be answered. :confused24:

Since I have never pulled a single wheel, these are just my personal thoughts...

Good Luck

I would like to hear on this too. Seems like good idea. Less weight, less moving parts, tracks the same narrow path. Don't let not knowing (yet) what to do when it's not hooked up stop you. A trailer is normally used hooked up anyway.

I have surfed sites where people have made them. I have been watching for a back wheel and back end of some sort of light motorcycle thinking of making one but it is way down on my long project list. Still having trouble picturing the bike half of the hitch on a Venture. Don't know if the torque of holding the trailer up would be trouble.

Jerry

Guest tx2sturgis

Most one wheel trailers have some sort of triangular stand that you either fold down or it just rests on some small legs when you un-hook it.

I own a single wheel trailer (n-line) and have recently pulled it on a 6500 mile road trip without any problems. I liked the idea of the single wheel trailer tracking exactly behind the bike and not having the worry of running one wheel off the pavement in the mountains, constuction sites, up onto curbs, etc. The drawback is the added weight to the rear wheel will cause some premature wear on the tire. I must admit that handling in a parking lot is a little more cumbersome, but out on the open rode its just fine. The

n-line trailer has an attachment that holds the trailer upright when not attached to the bike. The attachment has small wheels on it to move the trailer unattached with ease. Please keep in mind that a two wheeled trailer with 12 inch wheels are turning 3 times as fast at your bike wheel and therefore may cause a potential problem with the bearings. I hope this has helped.

Smilin Jack

I own a single wheel trailer (n-line) and have recently pulled it on a 6500 mile road trip without any problems. I liked the idea of the single wheel (snip) I hope this has helped.

Smilin Jack

Thanks for the info Jack and others with links etc.. indeed very helpful.

Another option I had been toying with was picking up a "Trailer In A Bag" http://trailerinabag.com/index.html

This would serve you well in two ways.. you have a bike hauler in case you needed one and you can convert it as a biker trailer by putting on a cartop cargo carrier (travel bin etc) on top of it.. Heck, you possibly could haul another bike with your bike.. ? !

Just a thought..

Many thanks to all who shared info and links.. I didn't realize there were so many out there..

I think I would prefer pulling a single wheel simply because of it being narrow as the bike so you don't have to worry too much about the wheels being 'out there' and catching on things.. Can you imagine, you sorta brain fart and forget you're hauling and catch a wheel on something while going around a corner?? ergh.

Alrighty then.. more fun..

Cheers

I have a hitch coming soon and though I wasn't planning on towing anything this year, my friend has started building bike trailers, very nice looking.. 75 lbs, single wheel, fiberglass with a square top lid latch. Looks sharp I must say..

Stick with your buddies trailer, or another single wheel type, since you've already committed to the type of hitch you've ordered. The single takes a totally different mounting system than a 2 wheel.

Stick with your buddies trailer, or another single wheel type, since you've already committed to the type of hitch you've ordered. The single takes a totally different mounting system than a 2 wheel.

I've got the ball hitch type ordered, not for a single..

I just heard back from TIAB and yes, what I was hoping to be able to do with their trailer is easily doable.. Use it as a bike hauler (as intended) and use a narrower cross beam for turning it into a bike trailer with a car top carrier or other 'carrier' on top. So instead of having to register and pay taxes on 2 trailers, I have one but convertable..

At least, that's the plan.

But dang.. Single wheel.. Hmmm

Cheers

I just came across this page... http://www.dauntlessmotors.com/Trailers/Uni-Trak.htm

I see where it could be improved on but I really like it. Well, except for the price. lol

Otherwise, plenty of room and lightweight. Hmmm, bet I could build it for a bit less and add the improvements.

Quite expensive but I'm sure it's worth it (?) .. But the main pic doesn't show a lot of road clearance, that trailer would be dangerous around here.. hate to be in a turn and catch a pot hole on the front frame of the trailer.. ouch

My buddy's trailer uses an old old honda wheel and fender, not sure the year model kinda thing but it looks cool..

Cheers

I pull a Aluma trailer 2 wheel and it pulls fine. The RSV runs as well with the trailer as it does without. The trailer is only a few inches wider than the RSV. After a few miles you know right where to be in the lane.

Skipop

I pull a Aluma trailer 2 wheel and it pulls fine. The RSV runs as well with the trailer as it does without. The trailer is only a few inches wider than the RSV. After a few miles you know right where to be in the lane.

Skipop

Remeind me of buddy telling us how his only indication that someone had side swiped his wide trailer was a sharp tug on the bike.. he thought the ball hitch had come undone and the tug was from the safety chains catching the slack.. but in fact an oncoming car caught the corner edge of the trailer and poof, it was gone.. All HE saw was a cloud of debris in his mirrors.. Needless to say, good thing something was weak in the hitch system etc..

"Dang, I thought that car was coming in close, but not THAT close!!"