IGNORED

Help! rear drive for 86-93?

Seems that I'm always recommending them but they pretty much always have whatever is needed. Pinwall Cycle Salvage. Not always the cheapest but good to deal with and they have a LOT of parts. I know that they have some final drives and I've seen them priced between $139.00 and $189.00. Depending upon year, mileage, etc.

http://stores.ebay.com/PinWall-Cycle-Parts-Inc

You guys are right - I tried searchin -ebay before, but PinWall has several.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll be up and running in a few days, practicing not dropping the bike in a parking lot. The '88 Venture is huge compared to my Virago.

Thanks again,

Becky

E-Bay #140259308467 is going off now. Might save few bucks. I think 83 will fit.

The 83 final drive can be made to fit...you will need an '83 driveshaft, and '83 plastic wheel cover (covers the splines where the wheel mates to the final drive. Your '88 plastic cover won't fit.). But I wouldn't recommend it. The '86-'93 final drive has some improvements in lubricating the driveshaft.

Becky, SportWheel out in Jordan, MN has a 87 Venture out there that should have one on it. I was out there a few weeks ago and they had just gotten the bike in for parts. Give them a call and see how much they want for it and you can pick it up locally as they are just off of Hwy 169.

http://www.sportwheel.com/

Hope that helps and get the bike back on the road.

Rick F.

update on the search for a new rear end :hurts: (I wish!)

I've found a bunch of '83 final drives. Pinwall has an '84 and '85 available that they list as "1200/1300, for $139 & $189. OZ powersports in Kansas has an '88 for $495 (ouch!)

SportWheels in Jordan, MN is still looking.

So my question - Do I need an '86-'93, or would an '85 work? I'm pretty sure the '83's won't work. I hear they did some changes in '84 to solve the 2nd gear problem, don't know if they changed the rear ends at that time too?

Thanks,

Becky

update on the search for a new rear end :hurts: (I wish!)

I've found a bunch of '83 final drives. Pinwall has an '84 and '85 available that they list as "1200/1300, for $139 & $189. OZ powersports in Kansas has an '88 for $495 (ouch!)

SportWheels in Jordan, MN is still looking.

So my question - Do I need an '86-'93, or would an '85 work? I'm pretty sure the '83's won't work. I hear they did some changes in '84 to solve the 2nd gear problem, don't know if they changed the rear ends at that time too?

Thanks,

Becky

The big change was made in '86. All '83-'85 rear drives are the same. And you CAN make it work, as I said in my post #6. If the $$$ makes it worth it.

The thing is, with the '83-'85 final drive, the driveshaft splines are not lubricated. You have to remove the final drive to put grease on the driveshaft splines. Not really a big deal, it can be done easily with each rear tire replacement. But if not done, the driveshaft splines will eventually wear out...then you go nowhere.

With the '86 model year, Yamaha redisigned the final drive so that the gear oil in the final drive also lubricated the driveshaft splines. And with the redisign, they had to change the length of the driveshaft.

Becky

only use Sport Wheels as a last resort!

I have had nothing but problems with those guys!

Failure to return calls, putting you on hold for very long times, trying to sell additional parts or refusing to remove something so they can sell at a higher cost, Sport Wheels puts the "cuss" into customer service!

Rick,

The coupling that the drive shaft spline goes into was cracked, and actually broke when they took out the drive shaft. The nut that holds the coupling to the gear was was sheared off. The gear teeth inside the housing were chipped and rough.

My guess is that this caused vibration, which transmitted all the way back to the transmission and created the whining noise. The vibration might have been from the final drive itself.

Anyhow, we now have an '88 final drive, and hopefully it'll be here Thursday, and the bike will be ready Friday. Then I'll take it to my mechanic and change all the fluids, and put in new springs on the front fork (it bottoms out sometimes).

Thanks,

-Becky

Sounds good Becky, glad you are getting the bike fixed. Maybe we will see you out riding one of these days. I have an 89 maroon VR that I tool around on some. Seems works gets in the way of my riding more and more but that is how is goes sometimes.

Good luck and enjoy your ride.

Rick F.

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Poledar, Thanks for the offer. Somehow I missed your message until today - already got one but it was much more - $400 - has 9,000 miles on it - but the dealer I bought the bike from payed for most of the repair. Anyway, that fixed the noise on decel - so I'm feeling good about that now.

I have the front fork bang when I hit a big bump or go onto the driveway, so I'm trying the progressive springs (my venture riding friends and several of the threads here suggest them). Then, I need to hit the parking lot and get used to the slow speed turns. At high speed it's pretty nice. At low speed it feels a little sloppy and I keep thinking I'm about to dump it.

Anyway, thanks for the offer. You and many folks on this site are very helpful.

- Becky

The new springs will most likely do the trick. And, while most everyone talks about replacing the pvc spacers with some metal conduit - you can use them as-is just fine.

You will notice a couple of things when you are done with the project:

1. The bike will sit higher in the front than it did.

2. Your clunking will be gone and low speed handling will be greatly improved.

3. Your bike will lean over more when on the sidestand.

Murph'

Looking forward to no clunk, and anything that will make it feel more secure on low speed turns would be nice. Sitting higher is OK - it's such a change from my Virago that I may not notice. The bike does feel topheavy compared to my other bikes - all cruisers. I should be tall enough and big enough to handle it, just feels like I need to always worry about keeping it upright when I come to a stop or back it out of the garage.

On the plus side, there is virtually no wind when I'm riding it. Goodbye bad hair days! And the little heater vent on the side makes it cozy for Minnesota riding.

- Becky

Becky, give yourself some time with the bike and you will get the feel for it. It is a heavier bike then you are use to riding and it does have a higher center gravity but with time you wont even notice it.

You might want to pick up the video, Ride Like a Pro.. http://www.ridelikeapro.com/

I have a copy and found that has helped with my slow speed handling of my Venture.

Good Luck and maybe we will see you riding around the cities sometime.

Rick F...

HI Becky,

I'm glad you got your ...(OOOPS!) your bike's rear end aligned and repaired! That along with the Progressive springs will help. Also, one thing I did was put on a SuperBrace for the forks. It made them more rigid when turning...turns are more positive and stable. Good luck...keep the shiny side up and ride safe!

Bill Darling

POLEDAR:happy34::innocent-emoticon: