IGNORED

Front wheel bearing removal ?

Ok so, I have a first gen ('84) front wheel that is damaged, the rim is bent. Before I throw it away I'd like to salvage the wheel bearings for the spare parts box.

How do I remove them? Can it be done without trashing them? Do I need any special tools?

Thanks,

Brian H.

Uxbridge Ont

Sorry about your wheel being damaged, And as for your bearings trash them as well. By the time you get them out they will be damaged, even if there is no physical damage on the outer part of bearing. The inner part (Bearing race) would be damaged and I would not chance it. Better off buying some from a bearing outlet or auto parts store far less than the motorcycle dealer. $3.99 - $6.99 bearing is cheaper than a broken leg or busted head due to the bearing coming apart at highway speeds. Sorry

Buddy

..........but I have a dremmel tool, a composite cutting disc and I don't care about the wheel. Can't I cut them out?

$3.99 - $6.99 bearing

They aren't really that cheap, are they? If so, I guess I might as well not bother.

Sorry about your wheel being damaged

Thanks, but its no biggie, its the one that came with the bike. I knew it was damaged from the start and replaced it long ago with an Ebay one. The only reason I have kept it on the shelf is that it has a good tire on it which I am now going to swap for the one on the bike, which has now also reached the good bye point.

Scrap Metal is worth a Lot these Days.

Whats a wheel going to fetch do you think?

BJH

• 7 months later...

I agree and disagree - you can get the bearings out with a hammer and drift easily enough - the damage to the bearing will be negligible and can fit it to another wheel.

But - why bother - it will obviously second hand, already part worn,the seals on it may be compromised. To makeit worth keeping to on the shelf as a REAL cheapskate, you'd want to pull the seal off, clean it out and pack with fresh grease before refitting the seal (yes, I've done it in the past, you can tell..)

But now we have Ebay and cheap suppliers rather than bearing suppliers that may sting you for full price rather than the 70% discount they give to friends.

I can't remember if the bearings are 6302 or 6203, but these give an idea of how cheap they can be (although Yam OEM is abou $18!)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6302-2RS-WM1-RUBBER-SEALED-BEARING-15-X-42-X-13mm_W0QQitemZ400035618014QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item400035618014&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6203-2RS-WM1-17mm-BRANDED-BEARING-17x40x12RUBBER-SEALED_W0QQitemZ400034955404QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item400034955404&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

So to summarise: I reckon you can save them, but it still isn't worth it. In fact I've just bought four of each to keep on the shelf !

[£11.16 for eight bearings and I think I was overcharged on postage - that's incredibly cheap. I'd offer to say how they are, but I might not use them for a year or two and then hopefully it will be years before I know how long they last, so feedback will be pointless. They do do SKF and other brands, though.]

Edited by greg_in_london