Nope, I didn't say that everybody would like it. I also guess it depends upon a person's definition of "performance" but if the definition is quicker acceleration, then the VMAX rear end will do more for it than any of those other things.

Ok lets put performance on the back burner, and leave the V-Max gears on the shelf for the time being.... Which would be the best bang for the buck???

In my opinion, the free flowing filters nor the free flowing exhaust either one or together buy you very much, if anything, in performance. I've heard all the claims but the few dyno tests that I have seen have never supported the claims. I think Yamaha does a pretty decent job on setting these bikes up and there are just no simple bolt on performance mods that make all that much difference. I've got the K&Ns, I've got the Dyna 3000, I've had several kinds of mufflers including Khromewerks and Samson and I don't think that ANY of those things made a difference.

You can put the VMAX gears on the shelf if you want to but it's the only thing that I have felt REALLY added any significant performance to my bike. Of course, that is when the Dyna 3000 CAN come in handy because you will be able to hit that stock rev limiter a lot easier with the VMAX gears installed.

In my opinion, the free flowing filters nor the free flowing exhaust either one or together buy you very much, if anything, in performance. I've heard all the claims but the few dyno tests that I have seen have never supported the claims. I think Yamaha does a pretty decent job on setting these bikes up and there are just no simple bolt on performance mods that make all that much difference. I've got the K&Ns, I've got the Dyna 3000, I've had several kinds of mufflers including Khromewerks and Samson and I don't think that ANY of those things made a difference.

You can put the VMAX gears on the shelf if you want to but it's the only thing that I have felt REALLY added any significant performance to my bike. Of course, that is when the Dyna 3000 CAN come in handy because you will be able to hit that stock rev limiter a lot easier with the VMAX gears installed.

OK, so I guess from what your saying the Dyna 3000, the KnN's, and the exhaust are a waste of money since they don't do anything???:mo money:

Hmm interesting discussion which I think I can add my 2 cents worth since I have the Dyna3000, K&N air filters and Rinehart pipes on the RSV for the past year.

The Dyna3000 was added as part of troubleshooting an annoying electric problem which ended up having nothing to do with the ignition module but the fact that I was able to acquire a new Dyna3000 for very little made it easy choice to purchase, at the time we thought the stock ignition module was faulty..

Did it make ANY difference to the bike? None.. not that I could feel, sense or quantify at all after a year with stock and a year with the Dyna3000.. If you can get one for cheap it's another alternative than buying an OEM or used module..

K&N air filter and RK or Rinehart pipes, for me, made a marked improvement in performance and rideability. I have NOT dyno'd the bike, but comparing the feel and sensations of acceleration on the bike before and after the changes, I can say that I can feel the difference. It does 'giddy-up and go' quicker and faster when you drop the hammer on this bike.

I took my friend's 2008 bike out when it was stock and timed it compared to mine and my bike was faster to get to 110 kph and could accelerate from 110 to 150 quicker from 5th or 4th.. Seems like the filters and pipes made a difference..

however, the fuel mileage DID go down enough to be noticeable. At fill up, my bike would drink an extra .5 gallons or more per full tank load. But if HE leads, it's much better than than, perhaps .2 gallons per full tank.. I'm not sure if it's the filter or the pipes that does that, or the combo of the two that makes the bike thirstier when ridden like it's stolen..

As alluded to in an earlier post, the bike in it's stock form will perform nicely if it is ridden properly, knowing where your power curve is helps a lot too. For me, I find that with the K&N filter and Rinehart pipes, the bike has more pickup and more 'guts' over stock..

in short, the Dyna3000 had no effect on the bike, but the air filter and pipes made a nicely noticeable difference.. However, your own experience my vary greatly.

OK, so I guess from what your saying the Dyna 3000, the KnN's, and the exhaust are a waste of money since they don't do anything???:mo money:

I didn't say that they are a waste of money. That is up to each individual. Some love the sound and/or looks of the aftermarket exhaust. The K&Ns are likely cheaper in the long run that buying replacement OEM filters. I would never tell anybody that spending money for something that THEY like is a waste of money.

You've remarked on more than one occasion that buying high end (Bushtec, Hannigan, etc.) trailers are a waste of money but I don't agree. It is up to each individual to determine what kind of expenditures bring them the most joy.

No, I'm not saying that any of those things are a waste of money, I'm simply saying that I think they add VERY LITTLE in the way of performance. :) I've heard people claim that adding a set of pipes and K&Ns added 20 HP to their bikes but I have NEVER seen a Dyno test that proves that. I have seen a Dyno test that clearly showed that the Dyna 3000 added very little expect to extend the power band into the area where the rev limiter would have normally shut you down.

I didn't say that they are a waste of money. That is up to each individual. Some love the sound and/or looks of the aftermarket exhaust. The K&Ns are likely cheaper in the long run that buying replacement OEM filters. I would never tell anybody that spending money for something that THEY like is a waste of money.

You've remarked on more than one occasion that buying high end (Bushtec, Hannigan, etc.) trailers are a waste of money but I don't agree. It is up to each individual to determine what kind of expenditures bring them the most joy.

No, I'm not saying that any of those things are a waste of money, I'm simply saying that I think they add VERY LITTLE in the way of performance. :) I've heard people claim that adding a set of pipes and K&Ns added 20 HP to their bikes but I have NEVER seen a Dyno test that proves that. I have seen a Dyno test that clearly showed that the Dyna 3000 added very little expect to extend the power band into the area where the rev limiter would have normally shut you down.

Well Don, I guess I'm just a thrifty kind of guy and base value of needs... like safety chrome... :) over that of wants, and since I'm not rolling in bucks I pehaps tend to look at things a little differently then you do. This aftermarket equipment thing can get addictive. Call me cheap if you want, but I'll always look for the bargain, and I'll always value utility over status. If all I'm going to achieve is a higher limiter with the Dyna 3000 I think I'll pass, and if I hadn't got into a set of exhausts for a third of retail, or the new KnN's for a song, I wouldn't have been able to afford them. I always base a purchase on what it will do for money spent. I'm not saying that's where everyone should be, but that's where I am.

I'm not saying that your wrong at all. I'm simply saying that we all have different things that float our boats. MANY of the accessories on my RSV were bought used off Ebay.

My favorite place to shop.... it's just that I've been finding way to many things I 'r need lately..... :)

I have the dyna on mine rev limiter set at 8k level 5 it has k&n so I could have chrome covers it has rk mufflers with 1 baffle removed. There was no change in fuel mileage with any of the above. The performance difference is minor. My bike will consistently outrun a stock Rsv with a rider weighing 30lbs less than me by about 4 bike lengths from dead stop to 90.

My engine will wind to 8k but the power curve gets flat over 7k. With the timing curve set on 5 you have to run high octane fuel or it will knock.

Curious, Does the V-Max rearend reduce top speed, or even top speed in each gear (without useing the Dyno3000).

Edited.... Test = 3 sec.

Brad

Top speed will be about the same. max out in 4th gear and that is what it will be like with a vmax rear at top speed. basically a vmax rear will will give you a lower first gear and fifth will be what 4th is now.

• 1 year later...
It's the valve springs that bother me also. That is why I have mine at 7500. Dyna recommends no higher than that...in fact...it may be 7250 that the recommend. They say to go no higher unless you install the VMAX springs. I think I'll just play it safe. :)

I think that's where I'll set mine.

What RPM is the limiter set at on the stock box? I know I hit it all the time and it really bugs me.

Stock box is set at 6,000 rpm. I have my Dyna at 7250, like the extra revs. Next mod will be the Vmax rearend since I pull a camper. I agree these things are up to the individual. Gator06 has replaced his cams with Vmax cams, still has stock springs, runs curve 4, has removed the AIS and airboxes, using individual filters. After all this he could not "walk away" from me and I always had more throttle left. He's now installed the Vmax rear gears, we'll have to see.........

I agree with Freebird. The best performance mod is the V-Max rear end.

I find myself hitting the rev limiter more often since my gear swap. hehehe. So I decided to go with the Dyna3000 to bump up the rpm limit. Problem is the unit I got doesn't work right. After installation my tach went crazy. The bike was hard to start . And I had popping in the exhaust. Going back to the stock ignition cured the problems. So I sent the Dyna off th the warranty center for a look see. They promptly returned it to me but their paper work just says tested good. I don't know if that means they couldn't find anything wrong or if it tested good after repair. As soon as we get a break in the weather I will reinstall it. I am still hoping for the best.

Mike