FROG MAN

Our 89 got 35 mpg riding two up and pulling a medium size trailer. That's running interstate at 70-75 mph. Is this good? Others riding single and two up without trailers got 40-44mpg.All first gens.What do you get towing?

Gerry,

Thats about right, I know that when I pulled a trailer I would get 32 to 36 mpg. Your not bad at all with that. Besides....how much stuff did Mamamo pack :stirthepot:

She had a refrigerator with her. Well an electric cooler the size of a mini fridge. Every nook and cranny was stuffed to. Coleman stove,battery jump starter pack with air compressor. Oh thats my stuff hers was pots and pans,clothes,folding chairs,shoes. We barely had room for that 8ct load of Rubies.I was happy though. You should have seen Muffinman trying to pack up heading home.

Our 89 got 35 mpg riding two up and pulling a medium size trailer. That's running interstate at 70-75 mph. Is this good? Others riding single and two up without trailers got 40-44mpg.All first gens.What do you get towing?

When was you running 70-75 mph? I was above 75 most of the time just trying to keep up. My fuel mileage was down to around 40 mpg which is unusual for me, but at near 80 mph that is expected....... I mostly get near 48 mpg.

:sign20:

Here is some info for you, (see attachment) which I just finished. Not saying it is good or bad, but I was not disappointed. This is a pretty good average based on total distance and fuel used.

This was riding two up, pulling a Piggy backer, loaded quite heavy. Large Cooler, full of liquids and ice each day. I think a wider trailer will reduce the fuel mileage as it seems to catch the wind more.

Note the mileages are per the Odometer, but the lower section has the actual mileage as per the GPS. All the speeds were per the GPS not speedo. I did not comment on the wind which can play havoc with fuel mileage, but each day was a slight breeze some headwinds and some tail winds but this was too hard to record.

Also attached is an approx routing of where we went.

Brad

That's a perty nice chart you got there, nice and detailed. What would have been interesting is to see what the temperature was at each fill up to see what that may crop up. Only because of some thread in the recent past about temperature and how much you get in the tank n stuff.

What would have been interesting is to see what the temperature was at each fill up to see what that may crop up.

Thought of that but and had it for a the first day, but figured the speed, road conditions, would have much more of an effect. Temperature differences would have to be compared while travelling fairly consistent road and speeds.

Besides it was hotter than I was used too anyway

Brad

I have an 86 VR. Two up pulling coleman caboose,large cooler, 2 suitcases (1-overpacked) small tool box, jack. Running 70-75 mph I get 35-36 mpg. Even when I was tent camping carrying everything possible with 2 lawn chairs strapped to luggage rack on trailer, I would get the same. Trailer is large but light weight. Lots of riders pulled them in the old days.

• 3 weeks later...
My gps says 75 on my 89 is an actual 72 mph. :stirthepot:

I just set a slow pace. We can let Dan lead next time.

My speedo is off more then that at 75mph speedo I'm around 68mph GPS. I'm tired of an inaccurate speedo I think I'm gonna try a farkle I saw on a FJR site using a digital bicycle speedometer which I guess is very accurate its made by Sigma and can be adjusted for various tire sizes. I dont want to run around with a GPS everywhere I go. I ride pretty much everyday to work weather premitting about 100 miles round trip. So I dont need a GPS for this. So Im gonna try this out with the bike speedometer.

I keep accurate records of my fuel mileage and I try different gas stations and see what I get. So far Marathon Gas is giving me the best mileage. 38mpg at around 3600 rpm at 4000 rpm its about 36-37 mpg. Octane rating doesnt seem to matter. I dont use speed because the speedo's off and its alot slower then whats displayed but, I know the tach is accurate. Illinois is all 10% ethanol.

Edited by CrazyHorse