IGNORED

Needing a final drive - 88 VR

OK, I am tired of the decelleration whining to such a degree that I am going to replace it. That is of course, if I can find one. If anyone has one they are willing to part with for $$$$, just let me know. Also, if anyone knows someone with a good final drive that is willing to give it up, let me know. I have several items that I am willing to trade and if needed add in some bucks. I have a really good set of stock mufflers, chrome is perfect and no dents and an almost perfect set of jardines. The jardines have a little chrome flaking but not that bad. I have a complete set of good carbs for lst edition. Numerous audio parts; radio, amps, tuner, etc. Plus alot of other items including a final drive for an 83-85 which is different than the one I need for my 88. The dealer wants almost 800.00 for a new final drive assembly so that is most likely my last option.

Masterguns

Edited by MasterGuns

I dont mean to be a smart butt....but I ask this cause I am mechanically challenged! How does one know if the final drive is gone to the point that one has to replace it?

Other than the question I can offer no help where to get one, unless poledar still has this part from his part bike he was unloading.

I dont mean to be a smart butt....but I ask this cause I am mechanically challenged! How does one know if the final drive is gone to the point that one has to replace it?

Other than the question I can offer no help where to get one, unless poledar still has this part from his part bike he was unloading.[/quot

I am not that mechanically inclined also, but in my opinion, if the final drives whines, whether on acceleration or deceleration, something has got to be worn out. Back in 86 I purchased a brand new VR 1300 and put nearly 50K on it before disposing of it for a 91 Soft Tail, and the final drive, nor the straight cut gears some claim that is the source of the whining, were as quiet as a mouse. No whining at all. So.......

Thanks kind sir!

Both of mine whinned a little, new83 and used 89. But never enough to cause me concern. Yours must be a noisy bugger.

Hope you find one....did you try poledar?

Yeah, it's pretty noisy especially if riding somewhere without a helmet that covers my ears. I did IM Poledar. Hope he still has that one and it isn't a whiner too.

Master Guns, first thanks for your service. Secondly, my '93 whines like a banshee on deceleration. The guy I bought it from has been a Venture mech. since they were first produced in '83 and he said the whine is from the mating surface of the gear teeth not being finished as good as it should have been and that is what is causing the whine. He also said that this is not a problem. We have put several thousand miles on since purchasing it in '05 and haven't had a problem, and this includs a trip from Houston to Deal's Gap and back in '06.

Don H.

Master Guns, first thanks for your service. Secondly, my '93 whines like a banshee on deceleration. The guy I bought it from has been a Venture mech. since they were first produced in '83 and he said the whine is from the mating surface of the gear teeth not being finished as good as it should have been and that is what is causing the whine. He also said that this is not a problem. We have put several thousand miles on since purchasing it in '05 and haven't had a problem, and this includs a trip from Houston to Deal's Gap and back in '06.

Don H.

Hey Don, Semper Fi right back at ya. As for the guy you bought yours from, do you still see him. If so, ask him why these V's and VR's final drives were quiet as a mouse when new. I know it will most likely last forever just a whining away, but I can't help it; it bothers the heck out of me. I had an 86 that I bought new while TAD to Camp Zama, Japan (If you can believe that), and like I said previously, put over 50k on it and the rear end never whined. This one is just at 40k and drives me nuts. I just changed the rear end lube to a Mobil One Synthetic 90W and I'll just have to see if this improves the whining. Thanks for the info and if you are ever up this way(DFW), give me a call; may ride part of the way back with ya.

Herb G.

I never heard a final Drive whine. Well, at least for a longer Time that is. They work or there's a loud cracking sound and they won't work afterwards.

I seriously doubt that the Pumpkin is the Culprit. The straight cutted Gears of the primary Reduction(Crankshaft/Clutch Basket) whine sometimes on Decelaration. Other than this, there might be a Lubrication Problem on the six Finger on of the Hub Unit in the rear Wheel or on the Spline of the Driveshaft where it connects to the U-Joint.

Might just need a good greasin' there, huh Squeeze! The zerk fitting on the driveshaft at the pumpkin doesn't do anything, you must pull the pumpkin loose, pull out drive shaft and gease up both ends. Not hard to do, will probably quell the noise.

Dan