IGNORED

Helmet Headsets

antney1

Guest CJVenture

What kind of helmet are you using?

Using full face 3/4, I find the best way to get those wires under the padding is to stuff them into place using a popsicle stick. It's not exactly an easy job, but it works for me.

Charlie

Elaborate the question we need to know full face 3/4 shorty and whats this about cutting the helmet?????

If you are refering to the speaker installation most helmets have the ear peice in with 1 fastener that is designed to turn the lower part so you can install the speakers and just tuck the wires in between the foam and the shell

Let us know so we can try and help out

Jeff

I assume you mean for the speakers?

Without knowing what make and style of helmet etc I think the short answer is that some hemets require that you cut for the speakers and some are designed to accept them without cutting. If its one of the type that require it I don't think you have much choice.

Use the speaker as a template and try make sure the speaker will be directly over the ear for best sound results.

The 2 or 3 times I've done it I tried to make sure the hole was not too large. Easier to make bigger than smaller.

I used a small thin blade like a box cutter and carefully cut the circle and slowly removed the styrofoam.

Others have used different tools to do the job but I think the thing is to just take you time

My wifes HJC Modular has fabric that I left once I cut out the foam so that the fabric stays between the speaker and her ear. Hard to explain.

Hope that helps.

I have two HJC helmets. One is a full face Symax flip-chin convertible and the other is a shorty with a zip off collar. I ordered the “standard” J&M headsets appropriate to those types of helmets through the Yamaha dealer when I bought the bike. The installation instructions were pretty straight forward. For the shorty, I sent the collar in to J&M and they replaced it with a collar that has speaker pouches and sewed on my zipper. The wires can generally be tucked under the edge of the helmet lining or the lining could be un-snapped and re-snapped after hiding the wires. My only issue with the shorty collar is that the speaker pockets don’t sit directly over my ears. Once I scrunch the collar up so the speakers are over my ears, it sounds great. The Symax full face was simple enough since the lining snapped out and in, plus the helmet had a niche in the lining over the ears to accommodate speakers. I think in most cases the speakers are pressed onto a peel and stick, hook and loop material to keep them in place. My only issue with it was that the speakers were a little too distant from my ears, so I inserted some foam underneath the hook and look to bring the speakers away from the helmet shell and nearer to my ears.

Since we're on this topic, does anyone know if there's an adapter that can be used on the stock 1st gen headset wiring connector that will allow a person to use those little earplug type speakers used on things like mp3 players or ipods, etc?

I don't know the pin configuration on a 1st gen, but on my 2nd gen, I bought a keyboard extension cable at Radio Shack. It has the correct 5 pin connector, male on both ends, and has all 5 pins connected. I cut off each end about 6", and wired on a female stereo plug. Now, if all I want to do is listen to the radio or my MP3 player, I can hook up some ear plugs, and even wear my shorty helmet.

Since we're on this topic, does anyone know if there's an adapter that can be used on the stock 1st gen headset wiring connector that will allow a person to use those little earplug type speakers used on things like mp3 players or ipods, etc?

I don't know the pin configuration on a 1st gen, but on my 2nd gen, I bought a keyboard extension cable at Radio Shack. It has the correct 5 pin connector, male on both ends, and has all 5 pins connected. I cut off each end about 6", and wired on a female stereo plug. Now, if all I want to do is listen to the radio or my MP3 player, I can hook up some ear plugs, and even wear my shorty helmet.

I'm guessing that's a PS2 connection then? The one on my 1st gen looks much bigger than that.

AHHHHHHHH... that looks very much like the old-style computer keyboard plugs. I'm pretty sure I got one of those somewhere and can probably adapt it.

Wow you are good Don!

Just got my headsets today from wingthings

took a hard hit in brokerage fees 59 bucks!! Dont use UPS Canadians!!!

Rick, I thought that you would have known better, than cross border UPS.

I always specify USPS, tell the vendor that UPS delivery will be refused.

I know (sigh)....they didnt give me that option.....16. UPS or 46. UPS Express or something...

If I had USPS I would have taken it. So much for the good deal I had got. But I got it on the helmet already and it works great!

BTW I bought two headsets. Two hundred bucks for em both....maybe in the long run its not so bad....they are well over 200 here from Yammi.for one.

BIG SORRY FOR THE HIGHJACK guys!