Before anyone asks, yes, I did search the entire site and can't find a darn thing pertaining to this issue. Here goes.

I have two good used rectifiers. One is apparently for the 83-85 model and the part number is 26H-81960-A0-00 and the other is for an 86 - 93 (I think anyway) and its part number is 2WR-81960-A0-00. When using the procedure outlined in the Repair Manuals, the procedures both for the 83-85 and the 86 and up refer to a "brown wire". However, the newer model rectifier (2WR) doesn't have a brown wire like the earlier model rectifier.

Is there anyone experienced in this area to be able to explain why the 2WR rectifier would not have the brown wire like the Repair Manual states it should. Or am I just going nuts.

Any light anyone can provide would be of great assistance.

Before anyone asks, yes, I did search the entire site and can't find a darn thing pertaining to this issue. Here goes.

I have two good used rectifiers. One is apparently for the 83-85 model and the part number is 26H-81960-A0-00 and the other is for an 86 - 93 (I think anyway) and its part number is 2WR-81960-A0-00. When using the procedure outlined in the Repair Manuals, the procedures both for the 83-85 and the 86 and up refer to a "brown wire". However, the newer model rectifier (2WR) doesn't have a brown wire like the earlier model rectifier.

Is there anyone experienced in this area to be able to explain why the 2WR rectifier would not have the brown wire like the Repair Manual states it should. Or am I just going nuts.

I remember reading a discussion about that some time ago.. Maybe it was pre-crash. Can't remember what the outcome was...but hey I'm lucky I can remember anything... :) Anyway I'm sure one of the wiring guru's on here will chime in with the difference.....

OK, the Electrical " Block Diagrams " Show the " Br " wire going " To " the Plug

which is the Output plug of the Regulator.

I checked this plug, on my 89 ( just now )

It has the Br wire from the Bikes Electrical system, going to that side of the Plug.

However, there is NO Br wire, from to the Plug to the Regulator, ie. no Br wire coming out of the Regulator

--- What is the " Br " wire ????

------ Its the circuit that gets power when you turn the Ignition Key to the " ON " position --- It sends power to the INPUT side of all the fuses on the Main Fuse Block.

---- So what to do, to answer your question ???

---- Go to the Main Schematic, ( not just a block diagram ) Page 8-41 of service manual, you will see the Br wire going to the Plug, however there is no Br wire from the Plug -- To -- the Regulator.

I checked the 83 to 85 Service manual on line here. It only has block diagrams, NO detailed Schematics. --- ( at least could not find it )

Anyway, it does Not make any sence, to Send Power, " FROM " the Ignition On -OFF contacts, Back to the Regulator. ( ie. the Regulator is the Source of the power )

--------- So: Whats the answer to your question ?

Well without seeing an Complete Schematic, for an 83 to 85, I can't answer it.

The Schematic, and the block diagrams do not concur on this.

Check the Detailed schematic for your bike, your 1300, you will see what I mean

If sombody has a hard copy of 83 to 85, compare Schematic ( not block diagram )

to the 86 to 93, (1300 models ) .

So, now I'm confused Also !!! But you do pose a good Question !!!!

Sorry, best I can do--

I have a factory manual 83-85, will check it when I get home tonite (late). It's got the pull out schematic at the back of the book that should show it. Should have a post on it up by 11:30 to midnite (my usual Venture time!).

I show the same sequence:

83-85 26H-81960-A0-00

86-93 2WR-81960-A0-00

My 86 definitely has the brown wire. Six pin connector, two blacks, two reds and one brown, all heavier gauge wire.

I wish there was something on the regulator section but it's drawn as an empty box.

The red wire is shown as coming directly off the positive end of the rectifier array and going to the battery and ignition switch. Whereas the brown is shown connected to the "empty box" and also connects the ignition switch as well but THAT line feeds the fuse panel.

If so, the red would be unregulated, rectified output of the alternator (which varies), except for that funny little zener diode shown feeding the regulator... so I'll assume it's the feedback/control line that locks the red line to 14.5 volts and is also a load sense for the regulation??? So it looks like when you turn ON the ignition, you hook up the red line to the brown line which feeds back to the regulator/

Here's from an 83 manual, but the 86 manual looks basically the same...

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/electrical1.jpg

http://www.bergall.org/temp/venture/electrical2.jpg

Edited by mbrood

Just went through this on my '84. I was having charging problems on mine with volt reading hitting the red line at up to 16.50 volts. Got to digging and found I had tied into the brown wire for power to my running lights. It's apparently is a feed wire to the reg/rec that tells the unit how much to charge. I removed the spliced in wire for the lights and things returned to a normal charge, except when it got hot. Then the readings were all over the place. I ordered an aftermarket unit from RickH and it does not have a brown wire connection. Neither does the replacement OEM. Looks like they are not a critical issue these days. The aftermarket unit works fine but had a different mounting configuration so I had to fab up a backing plate to get it to sit in the roughly the same spot.

I don't know if the wiring I did caused the problem or if the reg/rec was bad when I bought the bike but I know the brown wire is NOT the one to draw power off of. Now. Doh!