IGNORED

Final Gear Oil Questions

awsmsrv

The manual recommends 80W. Amsoil makes several from 75W-90 to 75W-110 to 75W-140. What are you using? Some of Amsoil's is labeled "Severe Gear Oil". Is this overkill or is it good? Reasons why you use whatever it is you use is also appreciated. Thanks.

I use 80W -90W, petrolium base. I feel that Its much more important to change it OFTEN, then exactly what weight or brand etc etc.

Its easy to do, and cheap, Also, I like to drain it often to look at the oil and see that there's no excess metal shaveings.

The minumum interval I use is when changing rear tire, 12 to 15 K

I always change it in spring before rideing season starts, no matter how many miles on the oil.

Changing oil in the rear gear housing so frequently is really a waste of money. The biggest killer of crankcase oil is blowby gases that loads the oil up with carbon and contaminates it and breaks it down. In rear gear housings (and any manual transmission that doesn't share oil with the engine) there is no blowby gas and the oil will last a very long time. Even 50,000 miles would be more often than necessary. When is the last time anyone replaced differential gear oil in a car? (Engines that burn propane also don't have the tendency to break down crankcase oil because they burn so cleanly.)

Changing oil in the rear gear housing so frequently is really a waste of money. The biggest killer of crankcase oil is blowby gases that loads the oil up with carbon and contaminates it and breaks it down. In rear gear housings (and any manual transmission that doesn't share oil with the engine) there is no blowby gas and the oil will last a very long time. Even 50,000 miles would be more often than necessary. When is the last time anyone replaced differential gear oil in a car? (Engines that burn propane also don't have the tendency to break down crankcase oil because they burn so cleanly.)

I changed my final oil at 600 miles. Used Royal Purple to refill.

On my non-cycle vehicles, if the diff fluid and/or tranny fluid is full, clean, and not burnt/discolored, I leave it alone.

:scubadive:

I use the Walmart brand 75w -140 just as good and not that high either.I check the final drive every oil change.So far mine has little over 10,000 miles on the gear oil and still looks good,and a lot of my driving is in the city ,and the cycle has over 71,000 miles with no leaks or noise using the 75w-140. Plus I use the same gear oil in my old ranch truck and it has well over 217,000 miles and I only remember changing it out maybe three times over its life time.

buddy

Sound advice... unless you're riding a BMW with Paralever rear end... the drives are popping like flash-bulbs!! LOL... For a good laugh, read about them here... www.bmwlt.com

Anywho, I've run Kal-Gard shaft drive lube with Moly since 1980 when I first put it in my XS1100. Quiet, cool and MOLY TOO!!!