IGNORED

Fuel problems

Schlepporello

OK, so I'm merrily riding along today when my bike sputters, coughs and dies. I've had the petcock set on the main tank so I could get a rough idea of my city range before having to switch to reserve. I grabbed the pliers and switched to reserve. I restarted the bike and traveled approximately 25 feet before it died again and wouldn't restart. Fortunately, a friend happened by and helped me get some gas in the bike, but it didn't help. We put three gallons in, manually primed the carbs and it still wouldn't run on it's own. My first thought was the fuel filter's bad. I balled another friend who had access to a trailer and we brought tht bike home. I pulled the output hose from the fuel filter to the pump off and opened the petcock, fuel flowed freely from both the main and reserve side. I then reconnected the hose and disconnected the output hose from the fuel pump. Turned the key and nothing happened. "Ahah!" says I, "The fuel pump's bad!" I then removed the fuel pump, but then decided to test it in the garage just to make sure. I connected the leads to my 12-volt charger and it started pumping up a storm. Now I'm flustered. I'm thinking my problem either lies in the relay or the pressure sensor. Am I on the right track?

I'm not sure I'm following you correct, I think you said fuel was flowing thru the filter, when you took the hose from the filter to the pump, OFF at the pump. ??

That would eliminate the filter.

You then said the pump worked when hooked to a different 12V Source.

So pump should be ok.

I would at this point Re Install the Pump and lines, and try again. You might have gotten some Crude from the Tank when you went to Reserve.

Try, opening EACH of the 4 Carb Bowl Drains ( a #2 phillips head Screw on each carb bowl ) and turn Key to ON, the pump should run fuel thru Each Carb bowl, out the drain hose from each carb.

You should hear the Pump run, for about 5 seconds. then open the bowl drains one at a time, pump should run, and you should get fuel from each bowl.

Pump should keep running when the drains are open, 1 or all 4 of them.

Did you check your Run Stop Switch ??

May have gotten moved to " Stop " dureing the Trailer ride !!

I'm not sure I'm following you correct, I think you said fuel was flowing thru the filter, when you took the hose from the filter to the pump, OFF at the pump. ??

That would eliminate the filter.

Yes, I disconnected the hose leading into the fuel pump from the fuel filter at the fuel pump. I did this specifically to eliminate the filter

You then said the pump worked when hooked to a different 12V Source.

So pump should be ok.

That's what I'm thinking as well.

I would at this point Re Install the Pump and lines, and try again. You might have gotten some Crude from the Tank when you went to Reserve.

It was set on reserve already when I first bought the bike three weeks ago. It wasn't changed from that until I filled the tank for the first time.

Try, opening EACH of the 4 Carb Bowl Drains ( a #2 phillips head Screw on each carb bowl ) and turn Key to ON, the pump should run fuel thru Each Carb bowl, out the drain hose from each carb.

You should hear the Pump run, for about 5 seconds. then open the bowl drains one at a time, pump should run, and you should get fuel from each bowl.

Pump should keep running when the drains are open, 1 or all 4 of them.

Did you check your Run Stop Switch ??

May have gotten moved to " Stop " dureing the Trailer ride !!

The pump isn't running at all when it's hooked up to the bike. I checked to see if it was running before I removed it from the bike. It's my understanding that it should run for a few seconds to prime the carbs, then only come on as needed. It's not coming on at all unless I hook it to an alternate power source. Of course it might be possible that some water may have gotten into the system somehow and filled the carbs. But before I towed it home I was hand priming each carb and it would run until the fuel I poured in ran out (prior to the trailer ride). Also, I've only filled the tank twice since I bought it and I've been mixing SeaFoam with the gas. I'll drain 'em and see what comes out.........if anything.

By the way, I'd like to say thanks to all the kind souls on this fine board who take the time to try to help advise an idjit such as myself.

Thanks y'all!

Are you sure the plugs are even firing when you crank it? Or it will run if you power the fuel pump externally?

If its not firing also....check Ignition fuse, then check for 12 V with key on at the Red/white wires at the coils. If they are ok...kill switch should be ok.

Now check the Emergency Stop switch (aka Tipover switch)....located in behind headlight....has blue/white and black wire. If it fails it opens circuit to fuel pump (stopping it) and also grounds out TCI control killing ignition. Try unplugging the switch...if bike now starts and runs....there's the problem.

Guys, I really and honestly appreciate all the help and advice this forum has to offer. You guys are the best! And the service manual downloads offered on this board are a lifesaver too!

As I had mentioned before, when I hooked the fuel pump up to my trickle charger, it started pumping. It was not pumping prior to my pulling it off. Therefore, I can only conclude that for some reason it had locked up momentarily and my removing it loosened something up. I've reinstalled the fuel pump and hooked everything back up. It fired up and ran on the first push of the button. I'm fixing to run it down to the gas station to top off the tank. I'm also adding the last portion of SeaFoam and I'm gonna put in a little Heet too whilst I'm at it. From here on out, the petcock stays on reserve (so I don't have this part of the problem happen again) and I'll be more mindful of keeping the tank full. I'll also be looking for a replacement fuel pump too in case this one is actually trying to join the deceased on a more permanent basis.

By the way, will an aftermarket fuel pump be advisable for this bike?