OK, so I bought my 84 VR solely for the purpose of safing gas on my way to and from work. And so far, when compared to my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad-Cab 4x4 With the Hemi, it's doing what I need it to do. But I'm wondering if I'm running it at the proper RPM range to maximize on my mileage. I was reading in another thread that these engines seem to prefer the higher RPM's over lower RPM's. I've been running mine low so hopefully it'd burn less gas. Am I on track or do I need to keep the revs up?

Wayne,

Ride as conservative as you feel necessary and everything will be just fine and you will get good mileage. Above 65mph, your mileage will start to tail down as you ride faster. However it's true that the engine performs the best around 4,000 rpm but around 3,200 is still in it's range.

Hope this helps,

Rick

in the group rides,seams like all our gas milage is 42 to maybe 50,thats is running around 50mph,1st and 2nd gen,my cowasaki,has got up to 58 mpg,that is what they told me on a ride ,at KITCHENER,it dose over 50,if i stay 60 mph or below,no head wind

:thumbsup:

Ride conservatively. It's not the destination, it's the ride getting there, get there fast and you have to go shopping with the significant other, get my drift?

Anything under 70 mpg has less air drag= greater MPG.

But most importantly is having the engine tuned correctly. New gas, filters, plugs, oil, clean & synched carbs, and lowered jet needles.

I've posted this before, but it seems that you'll get the best milage in lower gears.. higher RPM's. I, and others, have experienced around 50mpg while riding in the mountain twisties. 38-40 mpg when running in 5th gear at 4000rpm. Wind resistence and engine load seem to be the enemy.....

I've posted this before, but it seems that you'll get the best milage in lower gears.. higher RPM's. I, and others, have experienced around 50mpg while riding in the mountain twisties. 38-40 mpg when running in 5th gear at 4000rpm. Wind resistence and engine load seem to be the enemy.....

Thats how it works for me too. Around here we have flat prairie for 6 hours in any direction and the speedlimit is 100kph but the RCMP wont stop you until youre over120KPH , ....so.... we usually go abour 130kph as you can usually see anything entering or leaving the highways a long way in advance, but when I do that my mileage drops to about 35-40 mpg. When I am riding along the lake roads where its twistv and slower I am always around 45 or higher for mileage.

Brian